Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference between sowing in sun vs shade

Posted by ellenr 7A NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 10:02

I've always sowed in full sun, cuz that is the space where it is convenient to put my containers.

Noticing how often I have to water, I'm starting to put some containers in sun/shade.

It seems to me tho that germination would happen faster in containers that are warmed by the sun.
Has anyone noticed this?

To test my hypothesis - I'd have to put the same seed in the sun and in the shade. I'm not that curious! lol

but interested in others' experience who have done it both ways.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference between sowing in sun vs shade

Just curious what kind of containers you're using. I use milk jugs that are in full sun (when it's not snowing or raining or overcast which it has been until the last week or so). I haven't had to water yet. Are you using something shallow?

o

I use milk jugs too. About 3 inches of soil.

I water when the top gets dry.

The ones that are in full sun, are also against a brick wall, so that probably makes them hotter. I am now putting them in dappled sun/shade, and that works better, stay moist longer.

o

By dry do you mean when you no longer see condensation? I have a few jugs like that, but when I stuck my finger in the soil it was still moist. I've been known to drown plants in the past, though, so I err on less rather than more. I did water the lettuce and kale the other day, but I took those tops off about a week ago since they like it cool.

o

I go by weight and appearance. If the soil looks dry on top, I plop them in some water.
I can also pretty much tell by lifting them if they need water.

o

The warmth of full sun definitely speeds germination. I also think it prevents some of the rotting, if they aren't quite as wet as they might stay in the shade. I keep mine in the shade through winter, but when the snow is gone I move them into the sun to get things moving.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here