Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostarookie

WS Sprouts

hostarookie
12 years ago

I finally uploaded a few pics of my sprout babies. I don't know how to resize once uploaded to PB, so I'll only post a few. These were taken 3-4 weeks ago. :-)

Lunaria annua variegata

{{gwi:374571}}

Heuchera Autumn Bride

{{gwi:374572}}

Here is a bed that was enlarged for some of my WSown babies

{{gwi:374573}}

{{gwi:374574}}

Comments (19)

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Great photos. I am envious of that enormous blank canvas you have to paint with. Amazing.

T

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I really like! You can plant for years to come!

• tempusflits
    12 years ago

Wow, that's amazing! It all looks so clean and orderly. My stuff's a jungle. It also looks as though you've also marked where each plant will go. I am impressed.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Great space. Do you have enough WS babies to fill? Did you make the stone pathway yourself? It is very nice looking.

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Very nice, Weed Free envy!
    cAROL

• hostarookie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh no Ladyrose... Most of it is already full. No planting in this one in years to come. :-)

Temp, the plant markers are for existing hostas, heuchera & toad lilies. It's moreless the bottom part (last pic) that I can add WS babies to. I actually 'stuffed' more in the top part last night... 16 or 17 new hostas and 6 new toad lilies.

Bev, I have more than enough WS babies that could fill that entire area... I did over 300 containers! 8-) Luckily I only have to worry about the bottom part of this one, however I have 2 other new beds that I have to worry with and 1 existing.

We did the stone walkway ourselves almost 5 years ago when we bought the house. You can see it's seperating a little in some spots, but it kinda adds an 'aged' look to it. :-)

I did get a little creative... we just added the 'runway' down the driveway, which is 3-4 ft wide. I didn't feel like WS anymore so I direct sowed seeds the whole way down and then placed the bottle tops over them. My neighbors have got to think I'm crazy, but I don't even care!! I'll then intermingle other WS babies with the stuff that was DS.

• tomva
    12 years ago

That is very impressive,very nice indeed..Please post photos through-out the growing season.Can't wait to see it around August..

• hostarookie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LMAO @ 'Weed Free.'

cAROL, I'll have to take another picture of the bed now... FULL of weeds. 8-) I was plucking as hubby was planting last night.

• hostarookie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are a few pics that show the bed filling up with new stuff and the existing popping up.

{{gwi:374575}}

{{gwi:374576}}

This is one of new beds that will need to be planted up with WS babies. It's bigger than it looks in the pic and will take a lot to fill it up!

{{gwi:374577}}

• livsauntieshel
    12 years ago

Lookin good!

• jodie74
    12 years ago

VERY NICE!

• dieg01991
    12 years ago

Wow, that looks beautiful! I am jealous that you're already planting stuff. We're still dealing with cold and snow here in Minnesota! My vegetable garden is ready and waiting for the weather to cooperate before I can start planting out my WS seedlings. I have 26 containers sprouting so far. I only did 100 containers... 300?!?! wow, you are going to be very busy! :-)

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's my latest list of sprouts

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

hostarookie,
    Are all the plants coming up through the cardboard?Or did you cut holes in it to allow thay to come up?
    I can't wait to see it in full bloom.
    cAROL

• hostarookie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cAROL, there's no cardboard... I don't use anything at all. Maybe that's why I always have weeds. 8-)

Em

• ldsluder
    12 years ago

Super Spectacula hostarookie!!!! I love your beds! ;) haha!

I still have not figured out how to post a picture right onto the forum page, but I have updated my shared public picture viewing page with updates... Not as neat as above, but many in the ground and many, many more to move!!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/100276590830892159654/WinterSowing20111stYear?authkey=Gv1sRgCKv73-ezkf2t4AE&feat=directlink

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing 2011

• hostarookie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What a world of difference just two weeks can make in the life of gardening... :-)

{{gwi:374578}}

Canna's were planted out yesterday that were WS on 2/14.

{{gwi:374579}}

• dorothy4981
    12 years ago

Emily, your bed looks wonderful - one fine accomplishment on your part! What is the name of your edging variegated hosta? Were all of the plants with tags winter sown this year?

Dorothy (Meadows)

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Wow! Look at all those Hosta's! Looking Good Emily!

• hostarookie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Dorothy & Ladyrose!

Dorothy, the hosta lining the walkway is Wide Brim and are 4-5 year old plants. I really like Wide Brim for bordering or lining! The majority of plants that you see in this bed were not WS. I have planted some WS babies in the top part, but you can't actually see those in this particular photo. :-)

Em

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists