Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomva_gw

Blue Flax

tomva
13 years ago

This one was wintersowed winterbefore last and last summer it was a little plant that might of had two blooms this year it is a very nice plant with an umbrella form and full of buds

{{gwi:374770}}

Tomva

Comments (13)

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Hi Tom - I WSed blue flax this year-I've read where it can be invasive-are you seeing that problem?
    Thanks, Shirley!

• tomva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shirley,It didnt put out any seed last year being it was its first year,hopefully it wont be because I really like this plant..It has such a nice form to it...We will see,maybe someone else can answer this for you..

• ellenrr
    13 years ago

Beautiful!
    I also planted it last year - got seeds in trade.
    And didn't see too much last year, am seeing a lot more this year, altho no blooms yet.

Shirly I have also heard it is invasive, but so far, have no way to tell.

• bev2009
    13 years ago

I WS'd it two years ago and only planted out a couple of plants. They returned last year, but did not seem to spread. I am actually hoping for them to multiply.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

Invasive Plants Can Create Positive Ecological Change - Eberly College of Science [PennState]

Should it spread would it be a problem because it tends to clump, doesn't it? Easy to remove any unwanted plants in the spring?

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

tomva - those sure are pretty! Thanks for sharing your pic. It was one of your photos that made me trade for seeds to winter sow and now they've sprouted so along about 2013 I should be able to post a few photos of my own in bloom. That gives me a little time to hear from other folks about whether or not they're invasive. If they are, I'll grow them in containers. They just have such a delicate look to them and blue goes with most any other color in the garden.

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

There was one blue flax plant here when I moved into this house about 4 years ago. It finally had one little piece beside it last year that I dug up and planted down on my bank.

I wish it did spread a little quicker, because it is so lovely and delicate looking. The flowers are true blue.

Wonderful plant.

Betty

• crazyutahn
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! Long time listener first time caller.:) I have been gardening for many years now and for the past 3 years it has mostly been perenials. This is also my first year wintersowing! Yeah for me! I read this thread about Blue Flax, saw the picture as well isn't it so sweet and innocent looking? AAWWW...NOT!!! It is one of the most invasive plants I have had to deal with! OMG! Pull it! Run! By the second year in the ground it sent shoots 5 feet in every direction. And the seeds blew around the yard and stared growing in my lawn. I wouldn't mind something spreading but this will grow up in the middle of other plants and take it over because of its clumping. I pulled a Gaillardia-blanket flower plant becuase of it. Sorry to have such a long post but I had to warn you. :)

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

crazy - welcome to the forum!! Glad you decided to join the party. No apology necessary--we all need to be aware and wary of growing things that are potentially invasive--ask me how I know. I generally check the invasive plants list available on Google before planting most things. I don't even trust the local garden nurseries not to sell invasive species. Bluestone Perennials is a top-rated mail-order nursery and they do include information about things that are "enthusiastic" spreaders but they still sell them and people still buy and plant them.

I will plant the blue flax in containers until I'm sure they're not going to form an army and conquer New England.

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

Hi Crazy,

My 1st year WSing, too!

Our hot humid weather must keep it in check, because it doesn't act like that for me.....yet. Going on 5 years.

Blue is my favorite color and this is a wonderful blue.

I have a STEEP hillside garden that had lost ALL of the topsoil to erosion before I bought this place. If the blue flax acts like that, the hillside will be a perfect place for it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had the same experience with the pink evening primrose. Took over a whole flowerbed and smothered out all of the other flowers. What a thug that was!

Betty

• crazyutahn
    13 years ago

gardenweed-I do not trust nurseries either. They will sell you anything. I've wondered about a site that would tell me about invasive plants, I will be checking out Bluestone Perennials. Thanks for the tip.
    Betty- I really loved this plant the first year, it has such a cute flower on it. But I think you are correct that maybe in your zone it will be fine. I have butterfly bushes in my yard but I guess they are invasive on Oregon...so it just depends on your zone. A hill like that would be perfect for it good luck.

• tomva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Your right crazyutahn and welcome,it matters where you are at..The pink prim rose Betty mentioned is a thug here in Va.along with a lot of things like purple datura,orange trumpet vine,wild strawberrys,blackberrys,morning glorys,honeysuckle,and you can almost watch wysteria grow.spiderwort is a plant someone said is very invasive,here it isnt,its well-behaved you have to divide it every now and again..Mine is starting top bloom now and I love it,its my fav. blue plant
    {{gwi:374771}}g

• patrus8560_aol_com
    12 years ago

This is my favorite plant! I had beautiful blooms for a few years, but last year it had very few flowers and then died out early. This year it's starting to come but doesn't look too promising. I don't know what's happening. Might this mean it needs to be divided?

Sponsored