Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

It's Snowing Here Today

sjc48
12 years ago

Yeah, it's snowing, all over my 184 WSed jugs (126 for Zone Wars). All of the milk jugs have vents in them already. I have no place to move them to. I don't think covering them would do any good. I moved the geraniums and the prairie smoke up on the porch.

HOWEVER!!

I don't think there is cause for much negativity!

I dug all my plants for the swap yesterday, they are loosely potted up in my plant room.

I checked the weather forecast, and it says it is 34 out there-mine says 35. The snow is supposed to turn to rain, and the temps are supposed to rise all week, with the lows being in the high 30's.

I think it will be okay, as long as the temps don't go below freezing.

Any good thoughts, vibes, prayers sent in the direction of southeastern Michigan would be greatly appreciated, especially for the petunias!

Shirley!

Comments (8)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Snow in April can't last, even in southeastern Michigan--the air and earth are warming, the number of daylight hours is getting longer every day and we're past the middle of April. The last frost is only a few weeks away. Anything that's up now can take whatever bad jokes Mother Nature throws at it (including snow), especially winter sown plants--they're tough as nails.

It's been a very cold spring here in CT as well--I still need layers to work outside clearing winter's debris from the flowerbeds. Everything I grew last year via WS is up again: turtlehead, lupine, rudbeckia, agastache, penstemon, Siberian iris, daylily, ladybells, painted daisy, blackberry lily, butterfly bush, delphinium, Echinacea, Maltese cross, blanket flower, Montauk daisy, globeflower and more.

My WS sprouts are waving at your WS sprouts and urging them to hang tough until this white stuff melts away.

• tempusflits
    12 years ago

Warm wishes from central Illinois. I think you and gardenweed are correct. Those tough plants will get through this and be around to enjoy the warmer weather that's sure to arrive soon.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

It's been known to snow here in April & May. But it's usually gone by nightfall.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the snow is gone, we didn't get the rain, and the sun was trying to come right around 2. It's still in the high 30s.
    Go figger!
    Shirley!

• gladahmae
    12 years ago

Well up here in the Northern Lower Peninsula, we got 8in! HAHAHAHHAHA! It's melting already, but I'm ready for some warm temps so that SOMETHING will sprout already! It feels like November, not April!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Same here glad--mid-forties temp with howling winds right out of the Arctic Circle. It's one of those gray and gloomy days like November when the whole long, dark winter stretches before us. Despite bright daffodils, squill, crocus & tulips blooming, I'm bundled up in layers wishing I had dry wood to start a fire in the woodstove.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

The only good thing about these cool days is that the bulb flowers last longer. Hotter temps make them fade faster. I'm ready for some warmth and sun, though. Today will be our last day of sun for a week according to the forecast. Rain, rain, rain. My sprouts would grow faster with some warmth and sun.

Karen

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, don't panic, ladies! It was sunny all day here in SE Michigan-got out there and cleared some beds. Surely the sun will be headed your way soon!
    It felt great to be digging in the dirt!! 'Bout time!
    Shirley!
    oh yeah, we have rain predicted for the next few days, but I got one day in, at least!