Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I went brain dead over the winter- veggies/annuals question

Posted by mmqchdygg Z5NH (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 11:31

I know I can do the annuals any time (~3rd week of March is about as much as I've pushed the envelope seed packet in my area)

Questions for Z5ers:

Q1: OT Zinnias: Direct sowing has been good for me with standard zinnias that have been around a while, so I've stopped WSing those, but I forget the timing for DS. Now, or a little longer wait?

Q2: I have the new Zaharas this year. Anyone else? Are you DSing or WSing? Timing?

Q3: What else is on the wait-just-a-little-longer list other than morning glories?

Q4: Veggies? Leafies are already out, and I put up some (late) peas and beets (and yellow squash because I forgot the timing). What IS the correct Z5 WS timing on various types of veggies?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I went brain dead over the winter- veggies/annuals question

M&M, i don't have your answers but glad u asked because i was wondering also when to DS zinnias. Hope someone pipes up. I have 6 jugs of zinnias that are doing great but have tons more seed i'd like to get in the ground asap.

o

I'm not in your zone but I think this will apply any where: I've discovered over the years that Zinnias like it warm. Warm weather, warm soil. I don't direct sow any until Memorial Day. I do have some sprouted in jugs and they are very cute but just "sitting there". They won't grow much till it's warmer.

ONCE IT'S WARM, they take off like gangbusters. So there is sort of no point in rushing it.

o

I only wintersow lettuce and spinich usually, of those I just wintersow them fairly early, late feb , early march is fine, they are sprouted already.

Direct Sow, I only do peas now.

I will do the rest of the veggies, late may. Between the third and forth weeks. (for me green beans(5 diffrent types typically, sometimes more), cukes, zuchinni, pumpkins (for kids). None of them will germinate too much earlier anyways.

I do all my direct sown types (i wintersow zinnia but say, something like cosmos, I never bother, direct sow those all the time) I will do cosmos around may 1st to may 10th.

o

Hi Stranger, nice to see you.

Zaharas are nice, disease resistant, with a growth habit much like profusions.

Photobucket

I usually WSow my zinnias.

Karen

o

Hi Karen! As always, you never fail to disappoint with a GORGEOUS pic from your yard- (insert heavy, contented sigh). Beautiful! Of course, now you've got me wanting to go back over to Rosy Dawn Gardens and snatch up a pile of coleus for the season!
Thanks so much for the replies; funny what silly things you forget when you're doing other things (school, other hobbies...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here