Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Sowing tiny seeds

melvalena
12 years ago

I still haven't sown my petunia seeds. I'm getting ready to and still have trouble with how tiny they are...

so I just found this, and will be searching for a cheap electric toothbrush to make one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonic Seed Sower

Comments (19)

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

In regards to petunia seeds, I dont see why you need that much control, just rip package open, sprinkle around the growing medium (pro mix for me) , water in and let them sprout, seems like alot of work for me, with seeds that are fairly cheap, I just usually buy like 4-5 packages , this is enough to cover 2-3 hanging or ground pots for me.

Silverkelt

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

/sigh
    I hear ya, but I WANT that much control. I NEED that much control. I don't want to waste a single seed or have to thin out the seedlings. I have thousands of these seeds in tiny vials.

These are not the cheap packets of seeds you get at the grocery store. I wouldn't worry so much about those.

These are special to me, and cost more than I'd ever dream of spending on seeds.

There might be others who also have tiny seeds they would like to have more control over when sowing. Not everyone wishes to plant hunks, some of us want to do it a different way for a variety of reasons.

I plan on doing the toothpick method too.

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

Each to their own I guess. My philosophy is to mimic mother nature. She whips them around in the wind and I whip them into a jug. I can't help you with the tiny seed control because I don't so it. Good luck!

• duane456
    12 years ago

I've had success by picking the seed up with the end of a wetted toothpick.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Duane456, I had read that in another thread from a few months ago and plan to try it that way myself.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I usually pour a bit into the palm of my hand, pick some up by pressing a dry finger on them, scootch them off over the prepared pot using thumb same hand.

I'm sorry, if it works for you that's great, but I could see myself flinging them all over if attached to the end of my Sonicare. I'm lucky if I can keep the bathroom mirror clean of toothpaste when brushing my teeth!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL Morz8.. hubby has same trouble. He's never lucky!

I don't have one of those to use but will be on the lookout for one.

I think this round will be the toothpick method.

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I can understand your wanting control. What I do now is just pick up a pinch of seeds between my forefinger and thumb, and sprinkle it like you would salt. That amount is usually enough for one of my containers. BUT several years ago I bought something called Seed Spoons from Lee Valley. It was a set of three and you were able to pick up one petunia seed on the end of the smallest one. It's very time-consuming though and I usually have lots of saved seed, and I enjoy the task of teasing the little seedlings apart and potting them up. This little gadget would fill your bill. Try Googling it. Here's a link:
    http://www.brianseye.com/spoons/index.html

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

meant to say also- if you don't want to order online, I have seen them in the big box garden stores.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

You need seed spoons. They work great. Usually I just sprinkle, but if I have a precious few tiny seeds, I use my seed spoons.

Good, as well as cheap.

This linked video shows different seeders, the spoons start around the 1 minute mark.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: seed spoons

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I know Karen has suggested the seed spoons before and I'm glad to hear that northerner says the petunia seeds will work with them.

I just haven't gotten around to ordering any, but I did look in some garden stores to see if they haven them, they didn't.
    I have the one that Ellenrr suggested and tired it using a piece of paper to see the seeds, but it was useless.
    I really appreciate those who understand my (insane?) desire to have more control planting these tiny seeds.

:)

• hl42
    12 years ago

I like to control exactly how many seeds goes into each cell too. So far none of the seeders I tried works well. I am looking at Luster Leaf 3075CS Rapiclip Speedmaster Garden Seeder at amazon. It has good reviews there but I haven't decided yet. Anyone has tried one?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found this a few days ago and contacted him.
    He will ship outside of EU -- you just have to email him and get pricing for the shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Precision Seed Sower

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Looks pretty clumsy to me. You suck on the tube? Is that what he's doing? EEwwww.... how do you clean it? Will you store it with dirty old seeds? Yuk! And what does he charge, with postage?

I'll take my seed spoons any day Melvalena!

Karen

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Didn't look clumsy to me. It has a screen in it so you don't accidentally inhale the seeds. :)
    What is there to clean? Its just a short flexible hose. I guess you can store it any way you see fit.

I really don't see what is so nasty about it. You're using suction to pick up the seed--hold it--then stop the suction to drop the seed where you want it.

I can see how this would be great for someone how has difficulty holding tiny spoons, or has tons and tons of seeds they want to carefully sow.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Nothing dirtier than a human mouth. And bacteria grow like crazy and a skinny, dark tube like that.

Whatever, I'd rather use spoons any day. They're not tiny either- I think they're actually bigger than his hand tool. And cheap, I always like cheap. Mine were actually a free gift with a seed order, the best freebie I've ever gotten from a seed company. Usually they just unload seeds that I don't want.
    {{gwi:375461}}

Karen

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

Try outdoorpride.com. They sell tiny seed shakers for tiny seeds in bulki. I put in an order today and bought a shaker for 3 bucks. We'll see.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

I just pour the whole bunch into my jug, but I hear you because I bought some not-so-common petunia seeds this year. I hope a few of them come up and I'll deal with separating them later. Or the hubby will -- he's the one who wanted them.

Sponsored