Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosemctier

weed or seedling

rosemctier
12 years ago

after checking my containers today the awful thought struck me that some of these sprouts might be weeds. we are in the woods and very weedy so i wouldn't doubt that stray seeds have sneaked their way into my containers. some seedlings are obviously "something" but so many others look like the weeds i see in my garden. i remember seeing a post about a good seedling id guide-- does anyone know what it is? i would be much more excited about some of these containers if i really thought they were what they were supposed to be LOL

i have sprouts in about 40 containers, maybe more. i also have almost 50 daylily crosses sprouting in the greenhouse :) i am surprised at what is sprouting and what isn't. i thought the hellebore would be up by now, especially since it sprouted under the plant already, bot not one out of 7 or 8 containers. all the dianthus has sprouted though. in many containers i have one seedling and no sign of anyone else, and others are already thick mats of green. all very interesting, like a science lab i actually want to do LOL

Comments (5)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Here's one of the links that is usually mentioned on GW. I hope they are not weeds!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedpod, Seed & Seedling Images

• littleonefb
    12 years ago

here's another link from the gallery side of the WS forum

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: Actual WS seedling pics

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

The pictures are really helpful!

• rosemctier
    Original Author
    12 years ago

they really are! thank you!

so i do wonder... how many of you have cared for a plant for months only to discovered it was nothing more than a weed?

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Oh, I have done that! Too often in the past I pulled up a plant that I thought was a weed so now I give them all a chance. I keep those unknown plants growing until they bloom and then pull or keep as indicated.

Two weeds often show up in my containers and are recognized now after growing them out. They are pulled or cut immediately.

The seedling photos are a real help. Thanks to all sharing them.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company