Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

Chicagoland plant swap 2010

sheltieche
14 years ago

Chicagoland annual plant swap will take place as usual Friday eve of Memorial day weekend, May 28, 5 pm -7 pm

official emails will go out little later for those of you who have been to it in the past and I have emails.

I am assuming we will have same rules/ bring what you have extras, take what you want, everything goes, perennials, annuals, veggies, bulbs, trees, garden related stuff, tools, pottery etc/ and set ups as previous years, except we will move holding area away from main.

If anyone needs any additional details, wants to make some changes or address, please email me.

Bring your gardening buddies and I hope to see everyone there!

Comments (150)

• s1541
    13 years ago

I'll bring a russian sage for Karen and Jasmine and some iberis (candytuft) for you, Jasmine, and some for anyone else who wants some. I'll also bring mint for rolrod.

Happygardner, I'd love to try a ground cherry, if you have any left.And if you have any dicentra left, lindalana, I'd love that too.

Though, basically, I'm just excited to see everything and everyone.
    Susan

• happygardener23
    13 years ago

s1541-I'm happy to bring you a ground cherry. As I said, they're tiny at this point, but there's a lot of them that volunteered for me; plenty to go around.

• jas_il
    13 years ago

Susan, thank you so much. That would be great.

stage_rat, The cuttings of belle of india i tried to root still looks droopy so I have potted up an year old plant for you which i rooted last year . It is still small but it has good roots and it will grow and bloom for you.

I have potted up 2 Agasche (lavender hyssop) seedlings, 3 germen chamomile seedlings, 1 or 2 fennel, some mints and many others like star sedum (it grows well and looks pretty in rock garden). I might be able to potup some more seedlings.

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

Jas_il - Id love one of your fennel! What kind of mints do you have? Im looking for any kentucky colonel mint, or anything simmilar

• jas_il
    13 years ago

Shmooey, I have a mint which looks like kentucky with long leaves but i don't know the variety since it is store bought mint. I have the above said mint, chocolate mint, apple mint, fennel perfection (the bulb type) and bronz fennel in one yougurt cup together. I have potted it up for one of my friends but she is going for vaccation so she can't take it. If you like I can give that to you. You need to separate everything and plant them on the ground. I have another fennel too in separate cup. It doesn't produce any bulb but it reseed every year for me and comes up without fail. I will bring the mint (store bought) in separate cups too. It grew very vigorusly and took over the whole bed where I used to plant tomatoes.

If you like you can take it all.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jas, if you have little extra mint, any of them I would love some. Mine got stomped to the ground by workers during the house repair , it does not look like it would come back.
    Also I lost my salvias on south side of the house, so if anyone is bringing extra I would love a piece.
    Mone, if you are planning to bring that lamium of yours, put my name on one piece, please.
    I will do some checking tomorrow to finalize what I have potted and loos good so I could put names on it.

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

Hi, everyone:

I'm sorry I haven't been posting much, I just started a new job and life is hectic. I still don't have a list of the tomatoes and peppers I'm bringing, but I can try to do that tonight or tomorrow--so check back here, to put dibs on them, ok?

Lindalana, I can try to dig up some mints for you tomorrow, or get them to you another time. I should have some salvia, too.

Jas, I think I bought a Belle of India last year. I will try to check the label, because I looove jasmines, so if I don't have it, I would love to take you up on your generous offer!

Pitimpinai, I will scoop up some hellebore seedlings for you, too. I need to remember those!

On Friday, I'm taking 294 from my job, and the directions have me take Dempster for a little while, then go south to...Oakton? then back north to Main. Is there a good reason to switch to Oakton from Dempster? (traffic? construction?) or should I stay on Dempster?

• jas_il
    13 years ago

Lindalana,
    I will bring some mints for you.

• happygardener23
    13 years ago

jas_il if you have any chocolate mint left, I would love a little. It's a favorite around here and I didn't get any this year (don't know what I was thinking).

Lindalana-I'm not sure if it interests you, but I'm bringing a lamium with yellow flowers. I got it from Bluestone a number of years ago (it's this one: http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/LAGAS.html ) It spreads like crazy though if left unchecked. Anyway, I've potted up a half dozen or so if you'd like some.

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

This will be my first plant swap, and I'm getting soooo excited. I'm kind of afraid to bring home too much, and then have to plant frantically.
    I'll be stopping at Ikea before I head over to the swap so its a doubly exciting day for me :)

I'm trying to figure out how to manage my 1 year old daughter and any plants. I'm considering bringing the wagon, but I'm not sure if it will be an advantage or not.

There is so much on this thread, that I'm already feeling a bit overwhelmed.... I think I need to make a want list and stick to it.

• karendee
    13 years ago

I may have to come early and leave before it is over. My son has a baseball tournament that starts friday. His game is in Boilingbrook at about 6pm so I need to try to make that.

beck_wi, I will be happy to help you with the loading and the 1 year old. I know how tough that is! I have 10 and 12 year old boys now though. It is hard not to leave with too many plants! My goal is veggies and herbs cause I did not sow many this year and still want some.

Karen

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

Do people typically have nametags or anything? i feel like im going to be asking people to remind me of their real names, and GW names all night :P

• karendee
    13 years ago

Last year there were name tags. I put my real name and GW name. Although they basicallly the same.

I still have to pot stuff up. I have way too many Butterfly bush seedlings again. I may just bring WS containers of those.

Karen

• jas_il
    13 years ago

happygardener23, I will be bringing chocolate mint for you but it is very little amount may be 1-2 strands but it will grow for you.

I have potted a gaint red mustard seedling. It reseeds for me so I don't plant them anymore.

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

Oh, I just spotted a couple more things to request, if it's not too late!

Susan/s1541, if you have another Iberis, I'd like it, please!

Jas, if you have more variegated mint to share, I'd love it.

Oh, and has anyone mentioned yet that if you have plants specifically for someone, that there is a separate holding area to put them in, so they are not grabbed in the general swap? If you just carry in your plants and set them on a table, they are available to anyone, and people will start "shopping" right away. Labeling the plants with the recipient's name is good, and bringing a list of who you're giving to, AND what you're getting from people, helps a lot. :)

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

Here is the list of tomatoes and peppers. I think there are more peppers.

Mone, I set aside 3 Persimmon toms for you. Do you want more?

Who wants basil set aside for them? The seedlings are about 2" tall, but will grow fast.

***I may not be able to check the internet after tonight, so if you don't ask for these tonight, I can't check email until I get to the swap.

TOMATOES: ALL ARE INDETERMINATE (means they get big and give toms all summer) unless noted

Abe Lincoln, red, round, early-ish.
    Arumugam red cherryL largish red cherries, very tatsy, huge plant
    Azoychka, yellow, tart?
    Black krim black, very very tasty
    Cherokee Purple, black, very tasty
    Huang Se Chieh: yellow, 1st year growing
    Lithuanian Crested Pink, pink heart tasty, few seeds
    Lithuanian: pink, big, tasty
    Momotaro pink round pretty
    Olena Ukrainian: pink, big, tasty, good plant for tough conditions or summers
    OmarÂs Lebanese: medium/large round, red, tasty
    Opalka paste: horn shaped red tomatoes for fresh or canning
    Persimmon, yellow/orange, big, low acid
    Rose; rink, large, delicious--like Brandywine
    SophieÂs Choice: DETERMINATE= small, 55 days to maturity, red
    "Stupice maybe": red, semi-determinate (stays short) small, very very early, strong plant
    White Currant: cherry, small yellow toms, SUPER-tasty. Huge plants
    Yellow Cutie aka Old Ivory Egg, aggshaped, pretty, taste fine but not superb
    Zloty Ozarowski, orange, mid.big, 1st yr growing

PEPPERS:
    Carmen: sweet
    "Ellen Pepper": sweet, super-tasty
    Fish pepper; hot, variegated (variegation comes later)
    Peter Pepper: **Naughty shape** hot?
    Super Shepard: sweet

• jas_il
    13 years ago

stage_rat, I would love basil, Tomato Cherokee Purple and fish pepper. Thanks

I'll bring varigated mint for you.

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

Stage_rat... can you put me down for a few of your stuff? I need two Arumugam red's and white currant's if you have them to spare, and my sister requested any cherry's that you think will give a TON of fruit. My two year old niece loves toms and eats them right off the vine.
    A friend of mine asked for any HOT peppers, so can I get two of whatever you think is the hottest of them?

Is it tomorrow yet?

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

Beck, are you asking for the white currant and arumugam for your sister, or are they for you, PLUS cherries for your sister? I need to set aside the right amount :)

Sorry about all the typos in the list, I forgot to spell-check

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

Yes.. that's what I meant. I hope that's not too much... I always feel bad asking for them, if someone else needs them, and I don't want to seem too greedy.

The roses I was going to bring did not make it through this heat spell.... but the spirea's look pretty good.

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

Um, beck, you just answered "yes" to an either-or question :P

But by worrying about being greedy, I think you're saying you want those plants for you, plus plants for your sister. So I will set those aside! :)

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

Shmooey: I have an akebia for you :)

I have one more rooted one to offer, (aka chocolate vine) which will go first to Lindalana or Pitimpinai if they ask at any time. But if they don't ask for it, I'll give it to whoever else speaks up.

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Annette,
    3 Persimmons are plenty. Thanks much. I'll pick up a couple others you have left tomorrow.
    Peppers, of course.

How many Prairie Smoke would you like?
    I can give you as many as you want.
    I am thinking of coming over early to help Ellen set up.

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

Pitimpinai:

How many do you have? I don't want to be greedy. But if they're small, don't worry about giving me too many :)

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Annette, I'll bring you and Ellen an entire container each. You can split them up and will have a good stand of them. :-)
    If Ellen does not want any, I'll take them back home. :-)

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok, Annette, I hope you can read this tonight. I do want Olena tomato and Azoychka and opalka please, have no basil so a little will be great!

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

DirtDiver- I am sorry i think that the anemonella did not like its move to the big city- it didnt make it :( I do have other things though so let me know if you want something else instead.

A hand full of my trilliams have gone dormant- im sure they will be passed over as 'dead plants', but just so people know, ill still be bringing them, and they are labeled as dormant if they are looking crispy.

Stagerat - Thank you!!

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

Lindalana:

I'll pull those things for you tomorrow, (I hope I remember), everything is in the car already. The Olena is only a Maybe, as those were the among the seedlings the critters yanked out of the cells :(

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    13 years ago

I have not been back to check this thread: busy spring. I know itÂs probably too late to post this!

Anybody have lemon grass? Like used for Thai cooking?
    Container tomatoes?
    Verbena bonarensis ?
    Bleeding heart?
    Ferns, esp tall?
    Larkspur?
    Flax?

• jas_il
    13 years ago

Linnea56, I have a lemon grass I can bring it for you. The daffodils I got from you did very well and they bloomed and looked very pretty. Thanks

I have it in foam cup and it is growing well but not sure how big the roots are and how fragile they are. When you plant it you need to take it out carefully may be by cutting the foam cup away without disturbing the roots.

13 years ago

Oh, yay! Thanks! It's impossible to find in the stores around here in the NW burbs, and I love Thai cooking!!

• dorisl
    13 years ago

Oh boy! Look what I found!

Thank you to whomever brought this one!

:)
    D

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:375904}}

• beck_wi
    13 years ago

I am tickled to death with my haul... thanks to everyone who brought plants.

I got 12 or so tomatoes, and two gallon sized pots of irises. I don't know what color they are so next spring will be a pleasant surprise.
    Some of the tomatoes aren't labeled either, so I'm curious to see what they will be.

I also scored some seeds.

Ellen, your gardens are stunning... I'm very envious. I was going to stop and introduce myself but I was struggling with my daughter. She wanted to run, after being cooped up in the carseat all afternoon... but I didn't want her to destroy anything--- and she would have.

• sheltieche
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now that we hosted our 4th swap
    I felt finally swap starting to take its own course, it was such a pleasure to host it for both Esther and me- thank you everyone for coming, for bringing tons of goodies to share, am glad people found some goodies they will be happy to grow and hope to see you soon, possibly again sometime early fall?

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

What a great swap!

It was so nice to see everyone, and I'm sorry not all the GWers could make it.

Beck, I'm glad you did come, because I was wondering what happened to the tomatoes I'd set aside for you!! :) I hope your daughter was ok for the ride home.

The snacks were delicious, and really kept me going through all the excitement. I doubt I'd have had the energy to cram all those plants in my car without those calories :) The garden cupcakes were so cute! If not all of you saw them I will post a photo...soon. I don't know exactly when.

Have a great weekend, everyone, and thank you again, Lindalana and Esther!

• dorisl
    13 years ago

I gotta start rooting those cuttings!

Hopefully I shall bring some Salvia Azurea!

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Yikes! You folks have enough energy to post here already.
    I am still pooped from yesterday. :-)

Thank you so very much, Ellen and Esther, for hosting the swap again. It was great fun.
    I kept going back to check what people brought or picked.
    Even Ellen wondered why I was still there in the late afternoon. lol

Just like last year, people bypassed tiny seedlings of precious woodland plants such as Jack in the pulpit and Virginia Bluebells. So they are mine and Doris'. :-P

shmooey, your woodland plants were a big hit, huh?
    I actually got most plants from GWebbers.
    Thank you so very much, everyone.
    I need to remove a lot of plants to make room for the new ones.

Anybody care for Calamagrostis Karl Foerster?
    I have 3 large clumps I want to take out and plant the Viburnum that Ellen gave me instead.

stage_rat...I have no idea where I'll plant the Buddleia. :-) But many thanks for the gorgeous plant and tomotoes, of course.

Happy planting, folks!

• happygardener23
    13 years ago

Thank you so much to Ellen and Esther for hosting. I had such fun. Thank you as well to all of the lovely ladies who had set plants aside for me, and for everyone else who brought so many tempting and beautiful plants to share. I am very excited to get these goodies in the ground. Pitimpinai, now that you told me that I don't need to coddle the jack in the pulpit over the winter, I'll be hoping for some at next year's swap. I didn't find any this year (I looked, but there was just so much I'm sure that I overlooked them). I was giddy to see so much dicentra and ferns, and lovely grasses. I took some mystery plants as well as some small seedlings, because I recall from last year that many of the best things come in small packages.

Ellen, if it's not too much to ask, would you happen to know the names of the different types of seedlings that were in the large flats in the shade area (I think you said that they were from a botanical garden) I know that one was water mallow and I think one was joe pye weed, but I have 3 that I'm not sure of. I didn't want to take the markers and I didn't have a pen with me to note the names (won't make that mistake next year).

Thank you all again for everything. I looked forward to this swap all year and you surely did not disappoint!

-Corrie

• jas_il
    13 years ago

Ellen and Esther,

I loved the swap again. It was great. Thank you so much for hosting.

I am so glad to meet again Ellen, Mone and Anette. It was so good to meet Corrie, dirtdiver, gonativegal and shmooey. I feel bad that I could not meet Karen, Doris and who else.

Thank you everyone for bringing me the nice plants. I am really excited about Montauk daisy, viburnum, strawberries, scabiosa and offcourse others to see them grow.

I got the iberis which Susan brought and didn't know till I came home and till i looked all the plants. It was not in holding area but anyway I got it and am very glad. I could not get Russian sage but it's ok. I am sorry that i could not meet Susan.

Mone, is Calamagrostis Karl Foerster and Korean feather reed grass the same? I love grasses and i got one Korean grass which you brought. If you are really throwing it away then I would love and I think your home is not far away from my place. I got Northen oat grass too. Wow! I am so happy. The hard part is to plant everything out.

My mom is very excited as she got one Rose plant.

Ellen thanks again. Can't wait to meet you all again during fall swap.

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Hi Jasmine,
    Yes, I enjoyed seeing you and other swappers and watching them pick up plants.
    It is more gratifying that just stuffing my excess plants in my compost bins.
    I still have a lot more plants to thin out. Too bad I didn't have time or soil to pot them all up.

No, they are not the same grass. Karl Forester is taller and the flower plumes are different. Karl Forester is better than the Korean one because it does not set seeds. :-)
    Come by anytime this weekend or in the evening. I live by Austin/Montrose/Central. I just came in for a break. It is just too hot to be out in the garden. I spent the morning planting vegetables in my next door neighbor's garden. lol

Ellen, I am looking forward to the fall swap already and I have not even planted out any of my loot yet.

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

It was great to meet everyone! Thanks so much for all the plants- i think i definitly got the best stuff from fellow GW members. I am so excited i wish i had the energy to get all this stuff in the ground tonight- but i think they will have to wait for sunday.

Corrie- I may have an extra Jack or two floating around my hodge-podge garden area, i think one's flower has gone dormant, and i know another ones aerial parts suffered some trauma- however its bulb/tuber/thing should be just fine for next year. Where are you located? maybe i can get one to you

DirtDiver (sorry i forgot your name already!) - Im so sorry your anemonella didnt live, and i didnt even see on the list that you had wanted the carex i had! However, i think those didnt do well either- last time i peeked at them they were not happy.

I hope everyone else had a great time - thanks so much to Ellen and Esther for being gracious hosts!

• jas_il
    13 years ago

Mone, I sent you an email for address.

Jasmine

• happygardener23
    13 years ago

shmooey-
    Thank you so much for the offer but I'm afraid that I live way far out in the western 'burbs. Perhaps I can get lucky at a future swap, because they sure are pretty!

-Corrie

• s1541
    13 years ago

Thanks to Ellen and Esther for hosting, and to everyone who brought such great stuff. I had been looking forward to the swap so much, and it was as good as I hoped. I've been planting the goodies I got--it is really hot out there--and I'm really excited to see how everything turns out.

Jasmine, I'm sad that you didn't find the russian sage and candytuft in the holding area, I brought them early and maybe they got hidden by other stuff. I'm glad you found the extras on the other table. I have more of both, so we can try again. I live in Oak Park, are you anywhere near here?

Are we really going to do this again in the fall? I have a better idea of what to bring now--no chives or mint, but hostas instead, and maybe russian sage and obedient plant.

Ellen and Esther, your gardens are beautiful. I'm inspired, and I'm looking at mine with new ideas now.

Thanks, Susan

13 years ago

Thanks to Ellen and Esther for hosting, their husbands for helping, and to everyone else!

Doris, I brought Alma Potschke aster! SheÂs a knockout, isnÂt she? The color is electric. You can nip the tips to make it shorter (left to its own devices, it gets TALL, like 4 feet), and the bloom come later. ItÂs the latest blooming thing in my garden.

Thanks to jas_il 5/IL for setting aside a Lemon Grass for me! Any tips on growing conditions it likes?

Stage rat, thanks for the tomatoes!

The Silene Dioica I got last year (from Ellen?) is blooming so beautifully right now: so I picked up 2 more to spread the love. I got some of your Anemones too.

I think I FINALLY have enough ferns for my shade bed. I donÂt know who brought the other stuff I got, but I like it ALL! Thanks!

• jas_il
    13 years ago

Susan, Please don't worry about Russian sage. Next fall swap is there so probably I can get it from you. It was my mistake that i didn't try to look in the holding area racks instead tried to go through the easiest way and contacted people who brought plants for me and they guided me to find the plants. I already planted iberis and am very happy that i got it from you.

Linnea, here is the info about Lemon grass. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbs/msg04154629653.html

I read so far that it likes very sunny location and moist soil. It makes good tea and it taste very good. One thing i noted that the leaves which gets more older don't give any flavour. So you need to use the leaves before start yellowing. It might grow may be 2-3 ft in our zone 5. It will not survive during winter. You might try to overwinter it.

You can find more links by doing google search. I had one somebody sent me last year it grew very well and was in pot. During winter i brought it inside and it was growing fine but i thought to put it in a bigger pot and pulled it out. It was a big struggle to release it's roots from plastic pot. It was totally root bound. I don't know what went wrong but after this it died and still no sign of any growth. Not sure if it is dead permenantly.

You can get lemon grass in spanish stores easily. I bought some and they rooted very easily. I have planted one in the ground. I have still to see how it does in the ground. I am not thinking to plant it in pots as it is easily available in store.

I am so glad i could plant most of the plants brought from swap yesterday. Today it's raining very hard so hope it will all settle down well.

13 years ago

Thanks, Jasmine, for the added information on the Lemon Grass. I think I will try growing it in the ground, since it gets so tall. If it expands, much, I might try potting some up indoors for the winter. I have not tried looking for it in a Spanish grocery, since I had always associated it with asian cuisine: thanks for the tip. Lack of it is the only thing standing between me and better Thai cooking (or so IÂd like to thinkÂ.)!

I picked up Cascade Hops, which shmooey brought. The flowers, which I had looked up online earlier, looked interesting. But now IÂm not clear about whether this variety is supposed to be an ornamental vine, or just for beer brewing. I have a pergola I thought it would look cool growing on. I grow a sweet autumn clematis and wisteria on it, which provide shade once they fill in. Can you or someone else clue me in about the hops? Thanks!

• gonativegal
    13 years ago

I'm so late in posting - I was so tired from the swap and work on Saturday that I just crashed on Sun/Mon. I apologize I was late to the swap but there were still many goodies to be had.

Thank you so much Ellen & Esther for hosting. And it was so wonderful to see folks from last year and meet some new people too.

I went nuts over all those tomatoes & peppers. Thanks Annette and whoever else brought the vegis. I'm also really excited about the lavender mint & the peppermint geranium cuttings I found.

Mone - one of these days I would love to see your garden. I don't live too far from you (I am at 35th & Austin) and I have a good friend who gardens up by you in Dunning (Oak Park & Montrose) that I visit quite a bit.

• stage_rat
    13 years ago

Oh, yeah--Susan (S15...) thank you so much for the Iberis. I found it on the shelves as the swap ended. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you!

Lindalana, I really liked the location of the Hold area. It was away from the main "shopping" area, plus some people were able to pull into the alley to load up. (I hope that wasn't a problem for the neighbors, though.) Good idea!

We managed to get some tomatoes in the ground over the weekend, but there are still a bunch to do. I still need to plant all the other swap goodies.

For anyone else who hasn't planted things yet: I noticed that not all the cups or pots from the swap have drainage holes! Or they are very small. Check them!

• Bleedfoot
    13 years ago

Linnea - The hops are a traditional american variety for brewing, but almost all the hops look the same (or any that i've ever seen) except some are brighter green/yellow colors. It should grow and look just the same. I love the smell of the hops on the vines!

I finally got all my stuff planted out on Monday- followed by the huge rain storms, so i bet all my new plants are really enjoying themselves :)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County