Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sad, Disappointed.... :(

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 12:12

I usually WS at least a dozen boxes for the past 4-5 yrs. I am happy about my rattlesnake master, and others...but the seeds I paid $ for from an order has made me very sad....
How long does it take for Meconopsis to sprout??? I WS it on 2/23. Oriental pink poppy, 'coral reef'....done on the same date....I think I see one tiny little seedling?

Anenome 'blue poppy'....saved the seed from last year...NOTHING! what did I do wrong!!??

Anybody have experience with some of these seeds?
Thank you for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sad, Disappointed.... :(

I sowed pink oriental poppy seeds on Jan 13 and had germination on Mar 13. Meconopsis belonicifolia, Himalayan Blue Poppy, was sown on Jan 29 and germinated on April 2, Meconopsis cambrica, Welsh poppy, was sown on Jan 29 and so far no germination, but it was 2-year old seed so it may not be viable.

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 3:33

I only just started seeing tiny sprouts for my blue poppy seeds a few days ago. So there still could be a chance you might get some.

o

Hang in there. Look at the zones of those others. Don't give up hope.

Martha

o

With an early warm spell, everything in my containers is up and in fact, some are getting too tall for the containers. I did lose my cosmos though - a hot spell, which was followed by a heavy rain and then very cold. I guess the wet leaves, when frozen, finished them off. Everything else survived though, and I have a second batch of cosmos coming up again. It hasn't really been ideal weather for wintersowing though, we had no snow at all to cover the containers, then some record breaking high temps, followed by very cold temps. Those that germinate and survive it, should be very tough plants.

o

I have not had great germination this year except for Sweet William, Chives, and Onions, and no sign of poppies. We have had very strange weather. It got very hot early and I put my containers in shade with some afternoon sun. Now we are expecting snow tonight, rain and cold temps. for the rest of the week. I went out a covered my containers tonight. I hope my annual grasses survive. I guess we have to trust mother nature!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here