Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Liatris experiment worked!

bakemom_gw
12 years ago

Seems like last fall we are talking about Liatris or purple gayfeather. As you know, many of the seeds are not viable and the woofies are hard to manage. SOMEONE suggested just harvesting the stalk with the seeds ripe and still attached. Then you just dig a shallow trench and lay the thing down and wait until spring.

It worked. I have a 5 inch line of liatris sprouts - nearly the length of the stalk piece. That is quite exciting! Anyone try this with gaillardia? Just bury the head?

Comments (10)

• aklinda
    12 years ago

Don't you just love it when something works out like you hoped? Congrats!

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

That is how my grandma used to plant all of her seeds and her gardens were terrific! Try it with the gaillardia and report back. Congrats!

• northforker
    12 years ago

Good for you! I'll try that with my liatrus.I've only tried it before with foxglove and also had success. Maybe works best with plants that flower on a tall stalk?

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

These were the seeds that did not germinate for me last year. Now I know why. Thanks for the heads up.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Gaillardia tip: Bakemom, this is assuming that you already have a gaillardia growing in your yard, but... if you take a sharp knife and cut into the plant root, in several spots, it will put out babies. Think of cutting in a pattern like spokes in a bicycle wheel. I did it in fall; In spring I had more babies around it, all in lines, than I knew what to do with.

Karen

• faerygardener z7 CA
    12 years ago

Thanks Karen - so far, my ws gaillardia didn't sprout - I'm going to go grab a knife and try your tip.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I've been trying to grow Liatris without success for some time ad decided to try it one more time this year. Now I know I can discard the container right now. I'll have to try and find someone with plants nearby. Gaillardia is an annual for me. I have had good success saving seeds and sowing each year. It's one of my favourite plants.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I had tried this with both liatris and echinacea seed heads. I'm not sure if the liatris worked - since I didn't mark where I sowed the seed heads. But as I was out mulching today, I found 2 new echinacea plants - in spots where I logically would have buried seed heads.

In the meantime I have hardly any sproutage in my echinacea WS containers.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I had read that in a gardening book and I'm glad it worked for you. I haven't even planted my liatris seeds yet. Thanks for sharing that with us.

• Bamaw
    11 years ago

I don't know about liatris, but coneflowers are very easy for me to propagate - Just let the flower dry on the stalk, and then take the dry seed head and disperse the seeds in the garden bed, whatever time of year it is. I did that two years ago with the flowers of two plants I had and now I've got coneflowers galore all over my garden beds!! If I don't like where they're growing, I move them someplace else or give them to someone. I've gotten a pouffy one now, and can hardly wait to start doing the same with that one!!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus