Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengardener07

Coneflower germination???

greengardener07
16 years ago

Hi All,

Since I have noticed that more and more sprouts are peeking their way through the soil, I have also noticed that none of my coneflowers have popped up to say hi.

Are they late sprouters??

Comments (25)

• Ann
    16 years ago

I think they must be because other than the Tennessee coneflowers where I had good germination, the rest of my coneflower containers are just sitting there waiting...but I'm just an almost newbie and am still learning so maybe someone else has better information.

• docmom_gw
    16 years ago

I have cone flowers up. We've had three days in a row in the 60s and sunny, so lots of sprouts have started to pop up.
    Martha

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

I have sown them in the past and they sprouted late. I didn't sow any this year, though.

Karen

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Yep, late ones. Talking Echinacea here.

• carrie630
    16 years ago

Mine were very late also.

Carrie

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

My echinacea has not sprouted yet.

• mo_girl
    16 years ago

My echinacea is not up yet either. I sowed them fairly recently though. The only problem is somehow I left the milk jug lid on for several days without noticing. Now I'm gonna wonder if they're just slow or if the seeds got fried.

I really want echinacea though, so I might try a second sowing with the few seeds I held back just to be sure.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi, it depends on which type of echinacea that you have. If they are purpurea they will begin sprouting soon if they haven't already, the echinacea augustifolia need to go through a 12 week period of freeze and thaw in order to achieve germination. There is a very nicely put together article that I will attach on echinacea germination. I was wondering the same thing a week or so ago and stumbled on it when I was doing some research. Scroll down past the contact information for the info on Augustifolias. I hope this helps!

Tracy

Here is a link that might be useful: echinacea germination

• caroline_2008
    16 years ago

My Tennesse coneflower has sprouted and growing,
    I winter sowed it on Feb. 19th.

• ptp813
    16 years ago

I have several up and growing.

From what I have just experienced don't take the tops off until you have too. I just lost several baby coneflowers due to slugs. They seem to like the coneflowers and gailardias. I actually found 3 in one container with one on the bottom. Ahhh

• booberry85
    16 years ago

So glad to read this! I winter sowed Cone Flowers & Rudbeckia this year for the first time and they are not up yet.

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

My echinacea sprouted today.

• paphiocon
    16 years ago

It looks as if I live not too far away from you, greengardener.

I had sown some seeds collected from E. pallida on 1/20/08. They sprouted on 3/27 and are now putting out their first true leaves. Yours will probably be coming along soon.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I have Echinacea Purpurea Leviathan Sprouts today! Seems to be a good day for coneflowers! Woo hoo! Doing the happy dance!

Tracy

• rbrady
    16 years ago

None of my Echinacea has sprouted, BooHoo! I hope they do soon, it seems everything else is sprouting. Congrats everyone!

Rhonda

• zengeos
    16 years ago

Rhonda, give it another week. I suspect that my WS'd coneflowers will start sprouting by then...I think they like to see days a little warmer before sprouting.

• gee_oh_nyc
    16 years ago

Mine just sprouted today after two very warm days... don't give up !!!
    Now if only my other few "hold-outs" would sprout.
    Happy Spring

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

FINALLY!

I got the sprouts! Just a few, but they are coming. I did my "inventory" yesterday and there they were.

By the way, I have 75 out of 91 containers with sprouts in them. This is my first year WS'ing and I am impressed!

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

I had one sprout yesterday and a jillion today. This, dispute unseasonable cool temps.

• loriplants2
    16 years ago

I wintersowed some razmataz and sunrise this year. Has anybody had any luck with these in the past? Did they come true?

• mo_girl
    16 years ago

Good for you!

That's encouraging. I haven't looked for a couple days. It's been cold ... froze last night and will tonight, so it seems unlikely they would have sprouted yet.

• busylizzy
    16 years ago

I didn't even look at mine to see if they have germination.
    We had freezing temps again last night, so they are probably hiding under their soil blanket. I know I was under by goose down blanket last night!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I am so happy! I checked my containers this afternoon and found that I have 7 more containers of coneflower sprouting! Big Sky Sunrise, Double Decker, Bright Star, Primadonna Deep Rose, Amado, Ruby Star, and White Swan! I can't wait to see if they come true! I hate that they won't flower until next year but I will have to be patient.

• Ann
    16 years ago

My white swan finally started in the last few days, and some mixed coneflower I got in trade from jaleesa. Glad to see that the weather is finally turnign a little warmer and sunnier than earlier this month.

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad to see everyone is getting their coneflowers germinating. I had an explosion of green in one container of coneflowers in just a couple of days. It is the warmer temps!