Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1morehosta

Beautiful out side today

just1morehosta
12 years ago

Hi guys,

Just stopping in to say,Hi,it is gorgeous out today,72, but the wind is awful.Not complaining though.

I hope you all are having a great day as well.

More rain tonight,balllllllllll

Happy Gardening,

cAROL

Comments (8)

• dorothy4981
    12 years ago

Thank you cAROL. Perfect seedling planting day here on the Cape. It is 58, slightly overcast with winds NNE at 3 mph.

Dorothy (Meadows)

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi All!! We didn't get much higher than that, Dorothy, but I got out there and planted anyway. I planted 8 WSed jugs! Nothing else is big enough yet. Also planted my trees: black cherry, black willows and hackberrys; found large planters CHEAP at the dollar store! Direct sowed my cosmos, poppies, tithonia and some other seeds.
    Great day!!
    Happy Planting!
    Shirley!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Yup!! I had to dig out the polar fleece and stocking cap again this morning. Cloudy, windy, cold and 50's here until late afternoon and the wind felt like it flew down from the north pole. I potted up over a dozen lupine seedlings along with a few phlox 'David.' Most things are still teeny tiny but a couple others are sending out their first true leaves so it won't be long. I got some of last year's WS plants dug out of the trench where they spent the winter and I planted them on the slope north side of my garage. Crammed more stuff into the cottage garden behind the garage too. Between yesterday (when it was gorgeous) and today, a lot of garden work got done. Lots of stuff is blooming and I took boatloads of pictures. Get ready for a photo preview!!!

• jodie74
    12 years ago

Can't wait to see those pics! Can you clarify for me when to plant out and what? When they have their 2nd set of leaves? Only perennials right now? We had frost last night! It wasn't supposed to get that cold!!! I panicked when I saw it but my baby sprouts all seem fine. Even the annuals. They are up on my deck.......

Anyways, how do I know what and when to plant out? Even with two sets of leaves they are SOOOOOO tiny! Lol. My lupine is on my list for tomorrow. I plan to put slug bait out with all my babies! Good idea right? Sorry for all the questions, just newbie fear!!! :)

Jodie

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Today was beautiful. I wish it could stay this temps all the time, but with some rain. I was weeding and extending out my beds.

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Glad many are having good planting weather.
    Me too. - I can finally stop complaining :) -

Yesterday I planted out Sea Holly and had planted out Hollyhock earlier.

Jodie, perennials should be ok now, but I have learned to wait with the tender annuals. Like Salvia - I have seeded it and it has sprouted, but I'll wait a week to plant.

Yes true set of leaves is the indicator. People have different ways when to plant out. I find that if I wait til they are a little larger they do better.

ps yesterday I went to a plant sale and bought Ashwagandha, which is an herb I take for energy. I am excited to be growing it. Here's hoping the rabbits don't like it.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

ellenrr is right Jodie - once the sprouts have their second set of true leaves they can be planted out but I agree that waiting until they get some size to them is a good idea. I wouldn't plant annuals just yet since the last frost is still ahead for many of us. According to the Farmers Almanac, there is always a frost on one or all of the Frost Saints' days--May 11, 12, 13--so I'm waiting until after that to plant out even though the sprouts have survived colder temps. The milk jugs/containers provide some protection and you can cover them if it helps you not worry quite so much.

I potted up the lupines because I haven't decided where to plant them all plus a couple of beds aren't ready for planting. I haven't used slug bait but I've been saving eggshells that I plan to crush and sprinkle around my hostas and a few other things the slugs like to feast on.

The toad lilies I planted last year are up and the seeds I WS have sprouted so I'm gonna have some pretty flowers later this year. I shot 198 pictures yesterday alone (!) so it's taking time to edit, resize and get them ready to post.

Today's forecast is an improvement on yesterday's--warmer and bright sunshine the whole day so I'd better stop fiddling around inside and get started gardening!!! Happy May Day everybody!!!

• jodie74
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone....

Garden weed, how did you pot up lupine? I thought about doing that but read they hate transplanted so sooner the better? Of all my seedlings I want these the MOST!! just love em'. They seem so tiny to plant out. Even though my beds are ready.......

On one hand I am sooooo excited to be planting out yet on the other I'm scared to death..... Lol

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living