Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not happy with the non trimming overwintering experiment.

Posted by silverkelt Z5b/Southern Maine (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 14:10

So for like the last ten years, I trimmed all my perrenials after the big frosts killed most of them. This last year I finally tried the , let them be and trim in spring method, overall, I dont see where this has helped protect any of my plants, however, its helped collect more leaves and allowed more weeds to grow in the protection of the larger plants.

Im going back to fall trimming this year! Its much simpliar to start out with a cleaner garden then to go through this mess again.

Maybe if I didnt have a woodland garden, it would make a diffrence.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not happy with the non trimming overwintering experiment.

I don't like having to do all that in spring, either. I've done it both ways, now I try for a compromise. I cut stuff back in fall to about 6" height. That's enough to snag some leaves for natural mulching,but not too many, mark where the plant lives (I don't know where my labels disappear to). I gets most of the heavy work out of the way in fall so that spring is a faster, easier, cleanup.

Karen

o
RE: Not happy with the non trimming overwintering experiment.

The whole thing with gardening is finding what works for you personally. So if Fall trimming works better, that is what you should do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here