Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akasjs

You know you're a winter sower if...

akasjs
12 years ago

You are HAPPY it's snowing in April! I got a very late start this year and so when I saw it was going to go below freezing last night, I potted up some more seeds. I also checked and I have some germination happening.

Best wishes!

Comments (54)

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You have about 50 Jug containers lined up in the basement. Waiting for next Winter Soltice.

• shady_lady_pa
    12 years ago

...you can't walk by a seed display without picking up 'just one (or two or five) more to try.'

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

You run all over the neighborhood to collect all of the empty milk jugs that an unexpected high wind took off of your back deck.

Shady lady - I'm so with ya on the 2, 3, 5, heck just grab a few handfulls of seed packs!

Betty

• norabelle
    12 years ago

In June, July, and August you try to give seedlings and sprouted containers to every person that comes in your house.

While planting out HOSs, you offer plants to every person that passes by.

Your friends and family have no problem asking to see your jugs.

cheers,
    Norabelle

• tomva
    12 years ago

the bottom of your kitchen sink has a little dirt in it.:o)

• sjc48
    12 years ago

This is so funny - I can relate to everything posted here! Been there-done that!
    Norabelle-that was hilarious!
    Shirley!

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

...other than hanging something shiny on the front door, you can't be bothered putting up holiday decorations but you make sure to bring potting mix indoors before Thanksgiving so it doesn't freeze.

...your family knows that potting mix, mulch & fertilizer are perfectly appropriate Christmas, birthday, Mother's Day and Easter presents as is garden decor and tchochkes.

...you carefully assess EVERY type of plastic recylable before tossing it to be sure there is absolutely no useful winter sowing purpose/use/application of any kind.

• northforker
    12 years ago

1) A new friend expresses even a slight interest in your gardens and you sign them up for a "WSing Saturday" at your house and force multiple packages of seed on them.

2) You start whispering instructions and inspiration about the joys of WSing to people buying $4.99 pots of flowers at the garden store

3) You beg neighbors not to buy any flower seeds but to shop your selection instead. You assure them you really do have everything and explain about round robin swaps while you hand them packages of seed from someone's yard thousands of miles away.

4) No one in the neighborhood thinks it's odd anymore that you are outside in your PJ's in freezing weather holding milk jugs up to your eyeball to see down the spout.

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

... your husband/significant other shakes their heads all winter saying, "I gotta build you a greenhouse."

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

Your husband proudly shows off your collection of containers and sprouts, and touts how much money you are saving by letting you have all this fun.

You happily show your neighbors the full garden you have, and point out the plants that came from the seeds they gave you one or two years before, that came from plants THEY purchased.

You respond to a freecycle post that asks for plants, and it takes you 30 minutes to go through your yard and explain to the person how easy it is to get them using recyclable containers. Then send them home with enough seedlings to fill their yard, and more.

You keep track in a notebook in your car where the beautiful plants are in your area (and if they are sun/shade), and make sure to drive by them in the fall to take a picture of it and collect the seeds, that you dutifully save in an envelope that came from a stack in your glove compartment for this express purpose. (Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this.....)

• hostarookie
    12 years ago

OMG... I just lost it reading all of these as they sound too familiar!!!!

My favorite by Beatrice:

"Your husband proudly shows off your collection of containers and sprouts, and touts how much money you are saving by letting you have all this fun."

My hubby does this with ALL of his buddies that come over or even customers who are in his shop... I'm sure they could careless, but he still shows them off!!! LoL

• irisheyes66
    12 years ago

4) No one in the neighborhood thinks it's odd anymore that you are outside in your PJ's in freezing weather holding milk jugs up to your eyeball to see down the spout.

LOL, this is me! I'll even get down on my hands and knees to "scoot" along the driveway so I can check the containers faster...hehehe!

• akasjs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How fun - I love all your responses! (and I can relate to most of them!)

It's still cold and rainy here, plus I landed a pile of jugs this week (and bought more seeds!) so I'm having a sowing Saturday today.

Happy Easter!

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Beatrice, I took a picture of some very pretty pink hollyihocks last year in S.Dakota,and then gathered up some seed, sprouting today in my jug.

You check your jugs every 1/2 hour for sprouts,even though you know it is to early to see any.
    You can't sleep at night, because you are desiging,and redesiging,your flower beds,all from WSed seed gifts.
    You are watching the Live Cam, of the Eagles,in Decorah Iowa,(the birds)and you meet a person who gardenens, and you end up sending privet e mails to each other talking abot WSing.
    cAROL

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

There are seeds in almost every room. I'm surrounded by seeds.

There is a flat outside of mixed white flower seedlings. It's a large flat and it's sprouted like moss. To plant all these seedlings I must make room in existing beds. Some plants are divided and into pots they go for charity sales. Palms of my hand are nearly blistered from the scuffle hoe. The shovels are always ready laying out in the beds, and the darn wheelbarrow has a flat too (sigh). The ground in the big bed is cleared, next it must be loosened, and amended, and watered, and then the flat of white flower seedlings planted out via hunk-o-seedlings, then the bed watered and tended for a few weeks until the seedlings take hold, start to grow and the whole bed can be mulched with grass clippings.

There is also a flat of mixed blue flower seedlings and a flat of mixed red flower seedlings too. A flat of scarlet charlotte chard looks moss-like, I like chard but I think if I'm eating it everyday for a few months I won't like it as much, but I doubt that--I could eat chard every day and apparently I will. And there are carrots, turnips, and an army of scallions. And tomatoes, there are a couple of hundred coffee cups of tomatoes. And there are herbs and more veggies and more flowers; some flats well sprouted, some just with flecks of bright green across the soil as the first seedling leaves just begin to emerge, and there are flats where all I can see are the very beginning of a few root tails emerging from a few split seeds, and there are some flats which are bare soil and hold a question mark in my eye when I look at them--to sprout or not to sprout, that is the question and early on I worry, but later on in the season I am grateful for those which do not sprout because they don't have to planted, which means not having to make room to squeeze in just one more flat. or two. or three. or infinity and beyond.

This seems like enough, but no, I'm a winter sower and there is never enough, and now that early real spring has finally arrived I can spring sow, so it doesn't ever ever end. I need more flowers, I think, but like salted peanuts you can't stop with one, so there will be my fingers walking through my stash of seeds to pick and choose by color, height, need or whim and well, here we go again.

Maybe I'll treat myself to a new scuffle hoe and a wheelbarrow, and a few bales of peatmoss, some plant food, a hand hoe, maybe a sprinkler and hose, and a nozzle, gotta have a nozzle for the hose and while I'm there at the hardware I might look at the seeds and see if they have anything I don't already have, and well you know, I'm a Winter Sower.

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

cAROL-
    I collect seeds wherever I go, walking, driving, whatever. Don't even care what the plant is, as long I know if it's sun or shade. I pulled out a jacket from last fall...and there were seeds in the pocket. Hmmm...where'd I collect those from? I found a paper napkin on the sideboard under a stack of papers, filled with seeds (please igonre what that sys about my cleaning habits! ;) ). My little binder clip bin next to the computer-yep, has a paper towel in it, folder four times over, with seeds in it.

Isn't it WONDERFUL to see sprouts from this type of collection! I have enough second generation echinacea, black-eyed susans, and calendula seeds and sprouts now that I gave a bunch to a school that's starting an outdoor classroom. I gave them an aluminum flat of each, so the kids can see how easy it is to grow from seed, and spread the winter sowing bug!

• dirtbert
    12 years ago

You catch yourself eying the jugs of other shoppers at the grocery store.

• magpie_grower
    12 years ago

You are mad at DH because he brought milk home in a carton instead of a plastic jug. I mean really, what was he THINKING!

• magpie_grower
    12 years ago

DH just reminded me of this one... So I guess I will forgive him for the paper carton of milk

You know you are a winter sower if the US Census person comes to your door (because you forget to send in the questionnaire...oops) and gets a tour of the garden, a lecture on the merits winter sowing, and leaves with four flats of seedlings.

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

This is hillrious and I am laughing out load at 2:55 a.m. I identify with so many of them. My winter Sowing habit is collecting seeds wherever I go and always having a slip of paper in my pocket to make a little envelope for them. This has even rubbed off on my DH (who is a non-gardener) who returned from a visit to Nantucket with seeds he collected for me!! What a gift!!

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

This is hilarious! Trudi and Beatrice...(LOL).

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

You can't sleep because you wanna be outside planting.

• flowerwoman_gw z6 KS
    12 years ago

I have been known to shop for the cheapest jug of bottled water just to get the coveted jug! These are all so funny! I am making a "Top 10 List" to present to my garden club!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

Almost all of the above. Beatrice, my husband dragged everyone out back to see my plants. He was so amazed that all of that could grow with so little fuss.

Norabelle, hilarious comment about the jugs.

Caryl

• drippy
    12 years ago

Your children will no longer acknowledge that you are their mother, because every time you are with them and you walk by any public garden, you bend over to search for and gather seeds.

• Edie
    12 years ago

...you've ever had potting mix in or on your pajamas.

...you love the smell of potting mix in the morning. ;-)

...you need regular assistance finding your keys and cell phone, but your seeds are organized in alphabetical order in their own file drawers.

...when you are out for a walk and see a spiffy plant, you immediately wonder "can I wintersow that?"

-Edie

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Bump - for new folks!

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

...you accidentally deposit an atm bank envelope full of seeds instead of the bank envelope containing a check.
    (true)

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

...you spend weeks rearranging the contents of your garage to accommodate year-round, convenient access to pots, potting mix, Perlite, Vermiculite, harvested seeds, garden tools, lawn chairs, large garden containers, plant supports, crushed egg shells (anti-slug treatment) and the 200+ recycled gallon milk jugs strung on twine suspended from the rafters

• tomva
    12 years ago

bakemom,ohhh my, you just made me laugh so hard,that is too funny..

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

...you accidentally deposit an atm bank envelope full of seeds instead of the bank envelope containing a check.
    (true)

Well, if the flower seeds came from the plantings outside the bank would they consider it to be compound interest or a rollover? Did they at least give you a toaster?

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

No, they consider it an annoyance. I've heard of cases where drug dealers put the wrong bag thru the drive thru. Bank folks take a grim view of that too. They're funny that way.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

With the solstice less than a week away, this one is worth bumping up to the first page.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

You save all the envelopes from the Santa Seed Swap to collect seeds in the following summer.

• Shelia.M
    12 years ago

You keep googling "Winter Sowing" hoping to find something new and it's always stuff you've already read, but you just KNOW there's more to learn.

• micki
    12 years ago

This posting was so funny
    Thanks for bumping this up again Gardenweed. I'M CLIPPING THIS FOR SURE.

I loved all of them but these are my favorite..
    GARDENWEED"...it's January and despite the cold and snow and wind you are patiently standing beside the recycle bin at the town dump with a contractor's size garbage bag + bamboo stake waiting for people to drop off their milk/spring water (preferably spring water) gallon jugs."
    ...neighbors leave envelopes of seeds stuck in your door with notes that say, "Please grow these for me..."
    ...people at the office join you in counting down the days until Spring...starting on December 21st!!!
    ...friends say they had to enlarge their flowerbeds to fit in all the WS plants you gave them. "
    ...other than hanging something shiny on the front door, you can't be bothered putting up holiday decorations but you make sure to bring potting mix indoors before Thanksgiving so it doesn't freeze.
    ...your family knows that potting mix, mulch & fertilizer are perfectly appropriate Christmas, birthday, Mother's Day and Easter presents as is garden decor
    Gardenweed YOU'RE CONTAGIOUS
    BETTY D.."You run all over the neighborhood to collect all of the empty milk jugs that an unexpected high wind took off of your back deck."
    NORABELLS.. While planting out HOSs, you offer plants to every person that passes by
    TOMVA.. the bottom of your kitchen sink has a little dirt in it.:o I NEED TO TAKE THE PLUNGER TO MINE (MK)
    NAN1..A new friend expresses even a slight interest in your gardens and you sign them up for a "WSing Saturday" at your house and force multiple packages of seed on them.
    BEATRICE.. Then send them home with enough seedlings to fill their yard, and more.
    HOSTAROOKIE.. I agree, WITH YOU AND Beatrice:
    "Your husband proudly shows off your collection of containers and sprouts, and touts how much money you are saving by letting you have all this fun." MY FAMILY WILL LOVE THIS ADVANTAGE TOO
    IRISHEYE.. thought this was funny, so do I..4 " No one in the neighborhood thinks it's odd anymore that you are outside in your PJ's in freezing weather holding milk jugs up to your eyeball to see down the spout. (MY NEIGHBORS DON'T THINK ITS ODD WHEN I GO OUT WITH A STROBE LIGHT ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT M.
    TRUDI... "There are seeds in almost every room. I'm surrounded by seeds."
    MY HOUSE WAS TAKEN OVER BY RECYCLABLES IN EVERY ROOM. TRUDI "This seems like enough, but no, I'm a winter sower and there is never enough, and now that early real spring has finally arrived I can spring sow, so it doesn't ever ever end. I need more flowers," A gardener's work is never done and who wants it to be. Micki
    DIRTBERT "You catch yourself eying the jugs of other shoppers at the grocery store." OMGosh histerical
    Magpie.." I will talk to Anyone, Absolutely Anyone who will Listen about WS"
    Yeap agreed, in grocery lines, walkers by anyone. if you're a gardener we are fast friends. I love gardeners, and you WSers are the most eccentric of the lot! Just like me, There's never evough day light in a day, and dawn don't come early enough.
    JUSTONEMOREHOSTA "You can't sleep because you wanna be outside planting." SO TRUE, CAN'T WAIT TO GET UP IN THE SUMMER, AT THE CRACK OF DAWN. MY FAVORITE SOUND IS THE BIRDS AT 5 AM. MICKI777

EDIE "...you need regular assistance finding your keys and cell phone, but your seeds are organized in alphabetical order in their own file drawers." That's me too, Micki
    BAKEMOM YOU TAKE THE CAKE, THIS WHOLE POST WAS WORTH READING JUST TO HEAR THIS,. "...YOU ACCIDENTALLY DEPOSIT AN ATM BANK ENVELOPE FULL OF SEEDS INSTEAD OF THE BANK ENVELOPE CONTAINING A CHECK. (TRUE)"

I can relate to all of them.
    You know you're a WSer if you're regularly a germ-a-phobia and have no problem strolling the streets on recycle day at all hours of the night to collect your precious cargo, then bring it into your kitchen and let it take over your house. And, when you can't ever seem to have enough soil, Seeds or containers. If all you do is eat sleep WinterSowing. If in the middle of winter people can't understand why your bubbling with excitement.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

WS... it does sort of rev the engine when you expect it to be idling, doesn't it?

• micki
    12 years ago

Emmha

• ymaddox
    12 years ago

when the people at walmart look at you like your crazy...your asking for potting soil and it is snowing outside.

your idea of a christmas list is googling images of flowers and trading seeds on seed exchange...merry christmas me!!!

the fbi has your house on close observation because of the number of seed packs coming in and out in the mail!

love the bank one...that's great. And i thought pajamas was the newest fashion statement- am i not in style?

• ymaddox
    12 years ago

mikki has anyone told you your font is totally messed up lol...its like reading a optical illusion, oh how my head hurts :). can we just do the green for christmas and a regular size font or at least something smaller than would fly over your house attached to a airplane banner :)

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

That Walmart thing happened to me just the other day. But really, potting soil is not a weird thing to ask for in the winter. People do still have house plants, right? Even if they don't get the ws thing, they should be able to realize that potting soil does not have a specific season.

You use the Amazon gift cards you got for Christmas to order a bunch of seeds for plants you have not been able to find or never heard of. (After checking to make sure they were friendly for your zone) just to be able to have unique plants growing in your yard.

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

When your neighbor has watched how your garden is growing for three years thanks to WSing, and he now collects seeds from HIS plants to give to me so I can WS them.

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

You plan you days off around how many containers you can fit in while tending to the other necessary chores.

You see a description of "difficult to germinate" and consider it an invitation.

Your spring garden plans include a nearly total overhaul to accomodate all the new babies.

You have a city lot and decide to take charge of a relatives garden so that you have a reason for sowing way more than you need to.

• cogardener2675
    12 years ago

You go to the nursey for "just one" more bag of potting soil (to finish the seeds you have) and end up buying two bags because the seed display had some seeds you just couldn't resist!

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

You considered how and what times of year being pregnant would affect your wintersowing and overall gardening schedule. Can't be having morning sicknss at prime gardening times!

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

When your 7 year old requests a trip to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard and you respond "OK - but you have to get a large one" since you want the cup for sowing

• moonphase
    11 years ago

When you go to your Dr. who is also a neighbor and her nurse has to remind her she has other pts waiting.We discuss all the milk jugs,whats been sown,how many have I done so far,etc..and what she's planted and wants and when I get home,I have to call back to tell them what I forgot to tell her and which meds I need refilled.lol
    moonphase

• HMT4ever
    10 years ago

When you run into a random person at the big box store who like you, is perusing seeds, and in the first steps of new friendship you smile at each other and simultaneously say, "wintersowing!?!"

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

...when you hang around the potluck table at church, hoping to snag some containers that will be tossed.

.....when you cheer everything someone empties a milk jug.

.....when no matter how many jugs/containers you have down, you want more!

--when you are realizing if even half of it actually sprouts, you will have to majorly rearrange the garden.

--when you are not too concerned about the abnormally fold winter, b/c you know/hope you will have lots of new plants.

Yep, I have the bug! :)

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

When winter suddenly seems way too short.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County