Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaggudada

Will this work for green chile?

jaggudada
12 years ago

I like hot green chilies. Those tiny ones. So what I did is, I had some red dried hot chilies, I took the seeds out, they looked dry, I planted them in milk jugs like you would winter sow your other stuff and instead of putting it outside, I put it my basement, the reason I am doing this is because chilies need atleast 65F to germinate and outside is still not warm and somedays it is going in 35s and night temperatures are still in low 30s.

I'm hoping that this winter sowing method will keep it warm and moist. What do you guys think? will this work? or should I put the milk jugs outside so when sun ray hits, it will be hotter than what it would be inside the basement?

Comments (3)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

About 10 more degrees would bring on better germination of most peppers, 65 barely warm enough. They need light and lots of it immediately after germinating to do well - what are you going to do when they start to sprout? If you've encouraged earlier germination by sowing them indoors, they will have sprouted sooner than your outside conditions apparently allow and will need to be hardened off before you can take them out, leave them out.

If you don't have a light setup in your basement for growing indoors, I wonder if it wouldn't work better if you sowed outside and had to be patient, let them germinate when conditions outside trigger sprouting.

The tops to containers indoors will work to keep things moist, not necessarily warmer. Unfortunately unlike outside, covered containers (no circulation) indoors after germination can easily lead to damp off of seedlings.

• jaggudada
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You raise some very good points. Yes you are correct basement is quite moderate in temperature even though it is consistent. I do have grow light setup in basement so I was thinking about growing it under light for few more weeks and by then the outside will warm up and I can start hardening it off.

The tops to containers indoors will work to keep things moist, not necessarily warmer. Unfortunately unlike outside, covered containers (no circulation) indoors after germination can easily lead to damp off of seedlings

The above para raises some very good points. I might be better off putting it outside. You didn't say anything with regards to the way I took seeds...that means you don't think getting seeds out of dried/riped hot pepper is not a problem??

what do you think?

• noinwi
    12 years ago

"...that means you don't think getting seeds out of dried/riped hot pepper is not a problem??"

It depends on how the peppers were dried. Sometimes they are dried with high heat and will no longer be viable. You could start your seeds using the baggie method and you'll be able to see it they are viable within a week or so.
    I got seeds last year from a bag of dried japones from the produce section of Walmart and they sprouted just fine. And, I have sprouted seed from peppers that I've grown and hung up to dry(leaving them hanging for months sometimes). Maybe try a few different ways of starting and see which works the best for you. JMO

Here is a link that might be useful: some baggie method info

Sponsored