Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Hunk O'Seedlings Already?

moonwolf_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Call me crazy but I just had to do it. My "Old Spice Mix" Sweet Pea sprouts have outgrown their container and are now planted into the ground at three different locations. They're supposed to like the cold. This is my first time growing Sweet Peas, so I hope they'll do fine. They're pretty close to the house, so they'll have some warmth at night. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (14)

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

I've already planted out two jugs of lupines and 5 jugs of sweet william. I need to plant out my lettuce and cabbage sprouts.

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

Bookjunky - how big are your sprouts? I'm jealous you can plant out already! And moonwolf, the sweet peas should do fine with this cold. Lucky dogs already planting!

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

The sweet william was probably an inch tall, and the lupines had their first set of true leaves. The lettuce and cabbage is several inches tall.

• aklinda
    11 years ago

My yarrow needs to be planted out-it's prob 6 inches tall. I have other things that sprouted in Jan ready to go out too - I guess I had better get busy!

• adamark
    11 years ago

Call me crazy, last weekend I've planted about 50 containers. They were getting big and, anyway, they were growing in open containers outside. So far so good. I even planted cucumber already 1.5 weeks ago. But I've covered them with plastic bottles and mulched high up with shreded leaves.

I was just looking at my pictures from the last year, scary, everything is at least 4-6 weeks earlier this year. I'm planning to plant my sunflowers this weekend. Same like with cucumbers, I'll cover them and mulch. They are really getting big. My cosmos and zinnias (the most "fragile") are already good 3-4 inches tall and they survived nights in high 30s. I'll try to keep them in containers for as long as possible. At least, containers I can bring inside.

I forgot to say, I've planted kale (3 types), chard, lettuce, spinach, radish a few weeks ago (beginning of March). I'm picking leaves for my smoothie already. Crazy....

• bakemom_gw
    11 years ago

Half my sprouts are long out. I break up the jugs into chunks and ram them into the ground. That's all I do. first set of true leaves, and out they go. I wait until it rains for Ma Nature to do the watering work for me.

• adamark
    11 years ago

I've forgot to say, that the kale, mizuna, chart, beets etc that I'm picking quite sizable leaves right now were grown under lights. However, I planted ws'ed ones as well about 2 weeks ago and they are doing fine. They are about 3 inches tall.

• vv79
    11 years ago

I've already planted out my spinach, mescluns, cilantro, dill & parsleys (both flat-leafed and curly). I'm still a little nervous about planting out the tomatoes so I just separated them (I, uh, possibly had 10 seedlings in one jug) and put them each in their own cups.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

I've Planted out Tidytips, Clarkia and Nigella. I'm going to plant out sugar snaps this weekend.

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

I planted out cabbage last night, as well as snapdragons and candytuft. I plan to plant out the other half of the cabbage and umpteen jugs of blanketflower tonight.

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

We've got frost coming again tonight here in northern michigan- booooooo! Enjoy your planting - hope to be right behind you.

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

Yes, we might have risk of frost early next week. I figure I will just cover what I've planted out with jugs or plastic sheeting. The other open jugs are close up against the house partially under bushes so I probably won't close all those dozens of jugs.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    11 years ago

My lettuce is already out, but nothing else. Can my bachelor buttons go? They're the ones outgrowing their containers for me. Also, beets, but the package says not to put out till danger of frost is past, so I'll let them stay in their container for a few weeks. And the nasturtiam are quite big too, but I don't think they'll handle the frost either.

Everything here in the east is weeks ahead of schedule because we didn't have a true winter. The magnolia and pears have already bloomed and gone.

Caryl

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

It's interesting to see what zones are planting out.

Sponsored