Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Planting out onions

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

I believe there are others that WS onions. I believe mine are large enough to plant out. What is the best method for planting out?

Comments (5)

• ymaddox
    12 years ago

okay since noone else has responded i am going to attempt this lol. I personally put out bulbs for my onions, pretty inexpensive...got 80 on clearance for .79 cents at walmart and got red, yellow, and white. If you have them sown in a big enough jug i would just leave them in it. Bout the only thing i wintersow veggie wise for my area is tomato's and peppers. the rest i direct sow and probably would onions as well. If you have a big enough bulb on the onion you can certainly transplant into the garden i would think. Not sure how well they would do as i have never done them that way. If i was going to ws onions i probably would do so in like a five gallon bucket of large flower pot that size with holes in the bottom...cover with a plastic walmart bag and secure with a large rubberband around with holes poked in top and let them grow there until i ate them. just what i would do. I hope this helps and if someone has done it, i hope they chime in for you :)

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've always had problems with the onions seeding out early and rotting early if I use bulb sets. I had read that if you plant from seed you never have this problem. I thought I had also read on here that others WS their onions so I just assumed there was some kind of tried-and-true method for planting out as well. They are sown in gallon milk jugs.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

For seedlings, I make a trench a couple of inches deed and place the seedlings so that they are standing and leaning against one side of that trench wiht the crown just below the top of the trench, then I backfill and pat in. I space them about an inch apart and thin out every other bulb when they've grown wide enough to touch each other. For scallions you can space them closer. I'll planting my scallion seedlings this week.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trudi-
    I had done a search on onions on this forum and only found one really pertinent post that indicated they had trouble with onions dying after transplanting. Do you have any trouble in that regard? My onions have been sprouted for weeks now and are coming out the top of the jug.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last night, I planted out a couple of jugs of Granex Onions I WS'd in gallon milk jugs. They already had formed small bulbs and seemed to plant out fine. I definitely was too heavy handed with seeds per jug. I could see this a very method for onions if I was less heavy handed on seeds and let them develop into decent sized little bulbs.

Sponsored