Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caddie_gw

Sprouts of Tomatoes?

caddie
13 years ago

Hey everyone! Today we have 74 degee weather and wishing my tomates would start germinating! Has anyone seen their tomatoes germante yet? I have WS Big Boy, Better Boy and Roma's. This is my fourth year of WS, but I can never remember when the tomatoes start germinating...Best to all!

Comments (25)

• bookjunky4life
    13 years ago

I saw a few tiny sprouts in my beefsteak and possibly one other variety.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I sowed mine a few weeks age, about 10 or 12 cups. Only 2have not sprouted. Still in seed leaf size.

Karen

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Mine have not germinated. The peppers have.

• caddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, my...I have planted over 100 tomatoes for family and friends, but only a half a dozen have germinated! Maybe I'm worring for nothing. Thanks ya'll for posting!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

I find tomato sproutage has been very sporatic this spring. Some tomatoes, especially the early ones, sprouted right away, then we got a cold spell and the others are taking their time to appear. Some late ones have sprouted for me, but not all.

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I noticed my first sprouts of Yellow Pear and Roma tomatoes today.

• bromosounds
    13 years ago

I started mine on 3/6; all of them sprouted by 3/27 except for the cherry type which just germinated this past weekend. I have kentucky beefsteak, mortgage lifter, brandywine, carmen, new yorker and hawaiian cherry.

• albertar
    13 years ago

Mine haven't sprouted yet, but I didn't sow them until 3/19. If we were to get a few days of warm weather they will come up, :)

Alberta

• tomva
    13 years ago

Ive been repotting a few,I wish I had only put one seed per container,I hope I dont't kill them but there is 3 to 4 per container and I wanted to do it before their roots got tangled

{{gwi:377937}}

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

No tomato sprouts here yet, but I have flats of cold-season veggies all aprouting. The weather has been miserable, I think with a week of warmer days I'll see some sprouts in the tomatoes.

• caddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, thank you all. Trudi, if you do not have sprouts yet, I have faith mine will soon germinate. I may have a about 6 that have germinated out of over 100. My dianthus, sweet william, poopies, even cilantro have germinated. You are so right, if it is not raining here, it is cold!!!!! Lord willing warmer weather will return. Thanks again to all. Love the updates.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Groan! Another day in the 40's here, showers. The noon news broadcast said something about the effects of La Nina weather cycle should moderate and temps become normal - in JUNE.

I vote for now.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

Last week I had just a few tomato sprouts out of dozens sown. Today, I've got lots and lots. This is around the time they germinated last year, too IIRC.

Caryl

• caddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update, still after 12 days later, still only about 6 have germinated. It is a clouldy 46 degrees today, with warmer temps this weekend. (70's) If you have heard recent news, the Cincinnati/Northern KY area have had tremondous rain in the last week. Would love to know if anyone has improved. Thanks...I'm just sick; I usually am able to plant my tomates in the garden on May 15th. :" :"

• MLcom
    13 years ago

My tomatoes were planted on 3/22 and they been popping up this week.

• crazyutahn
    13 years ago

I finally have tomatoes. I planted them on 3/10. I thought I lost them all. I'm so happy!

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I have one lonely Black Krim sprout discovered yesterday.

My container of dianthus pinks that were the first to sprout I found on the ground this morning, the wind yesterday must have gotten to it.

The sprouts I do have besides a few are just sitting waiting for warmer weather. They look so strong and healthy.

It's supposed to be much warmer next week, hallelujah!

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

I have one. 15 seeds planted in 3 jugs...and only one that is up. I thought I had another, but I think something got tainted with another seed (or weed.)

Maybe I should sow more due to lack of germination. BUT, like everyone else, I've had horrible weather, too. A friend starts hers indoors on a windowsill and has seedlings. I'm jealous, but won't do them indoors.
    Weather report: 70 and cloudy today, 75 tomorrow. Maybe...just maybe...crossing fingers for something to pop up.

• bookjunky4life
    13 years ago

I've planted out over 60 tomato sprouts. I have at least that many more to plant out and I've not even been planting them all. . . if I feel like I have plenty of one variety, I just toss the rest out. I have them all under 2 liter or milk jugs. I haven't checked on them since this last deluge of rain but before they were doing fine, some had doubled in size in only a week or two.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

Mine are up, too. Dozens of them, but they didn't really take off till last week when we finally got some warm weather.

Give yours a chance, caddie. Everyone's microclimate is different. And if I recall correctly tomatoes can be transplanted with just one set of leaves, so May 15 is still certainly a possibility. They'll be small, but they'll catch up quickly. Last year was the first I WS tomatoes, and they produced well even when they went in very small.

Caryl

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I just checked mine yesterday and nothing. Pepper hasn't germinated either. I did see a Pumpkin sprout yesterday. Really unusually cool, cloudy spring and my garden is about 3 weeks behind where it usually is. I had a photo of April 1st last year and there were leaves on one of my shrubs and that same shrub didn't show leaves until the 21st. I put pansies out 2 weeks ago and have seen about 3 blooms. I suppose we will go right into a hot summer too.

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

Mine are starting to sprout too, started almost a week ago. There are no true leaves yet but they all appear vigorous.

• Orcascove
    13 years ago

I have one little lonely sprout out of 24. I planted Black Seaman, Red Zebra and Black Cherry in early January, and here it is the 28th of April and only one sad looking little red zebra has shown it's head... I really hope the rest come thru soon (I have other people besides me waiting for a share and these are the only varieties we eat..) We have had so much rain it's crazy, and I'm beginning to wonder if they all rotted and I should sow some more...

• caddie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey everyone! Well, as you have probably heard or experienced yourselves, we have had over 13" of rain this month! Tired of cloudy days, and have come to the conclusion that has probably contributed to my germination of tomato seeds. As of today, I have about 45 containers (out of 120 planted) that have germinated (finally) - most do not have the true leaves yet. I'm on my way. About 2 weeks ago I re-sowed (sp?)60 containers, so maybe that helped. Do you think I winter sowed them too early? I started the first week of January sowing tomatoes, as well as flowers. My flowers are doing beautifully! What is a mystery, as I found others have experienced, this time last and previous years, my plants were well on their way ready to plant. At this point, I am so thankful to see little seedling ready to mature and plant in my "victory garden." You have all been so sweet to post your findings; I'm so grateful. :)

P.S. May will all remember the people in the South in regards to the devastation in the last couple days.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

My tomatoes sprouted a few weeks ago, but grew slowly and stayed lime green until I planted them this week. Even though they had clear plastic baggy 'hats' before being planted out, the baggies got lots of condensation on the inside and I think they did not get as much sun as they wanted. When I planted some tomatoes out and covered with larger clear plastic bottles that did not get as much condensation, they got greener (and started growing like crazy).

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County