Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries,cow manure,& wood ash?

Posted by just1morehosta 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 15:15

I am cleaning up out side,what a glories day,simply beautiful today.

Hubby cleaned out the ashes from the wood burner,i have a small amount of cow manure i am saving for when i plant out my strawberries,would it be benificial to mix the wood ashes with the manure?The manure is a year old,wood ash 1 month,strawberries,bare root.
Thank you guys, i hope you will be able to get out a little today,even just to walk around and "look" at every thing,THINKING OF YOU ALL,, AND WISHING YOU A HAPPY DAY.
cAROL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries,cow manure,& wood ash?

From what I understand, wood ash is like lime, you use it if you have acid soil that needs to be more alkaline. I think strawberries like soil with a pH 5.5 to 6.5.

o

You'd need a whole lot of wood ashes to get an alkaline affect. How much do you have? If you have a whole lot, add it to root crops instead. It sweetens beets and carrots especially. Or put around a lilac or forsythia. They prefer alkaline soil.

o

It's safe as long as no pressure treated wood was burned. I spread mine over the tomato patch every winter.

o

Zone 4a has gallardia, morning glories and anise hyssop seedlings.

Three milk jugs down, 103 to go.

Damn, this really works. Yes, I was really worrying I would be the one newbie with no sprouts!!!

o

Strawberries prefer an acidic soil and by using the ashes you will render the soil slightly alkaline which is definitely not a good thing for them.

The best uses for the ashes is to spread them lightly on your lawn before a rain or simply add to the compost where they will be mixed in with a myriad of other things.

Here in our province, strawberries grow wild alongside of blueberries. Our soil is quite acidic making both of them happy. I use my wood ashes to keep the lawn nice and lush and apply it very lightly to certain plants I have winter sowed that I know like to have a bit of 'sweetness' added to their soil.

o

Do you have any pine needles? They are acidic and make a great mulch for strawberries.

o

Who would have known,well, i guess you guys,:0)

I don't have a lot of wood ash, just what we have taken out of the wood burner,we never use treated wood,never.

I will save it,and spread it around my tomatoes,which will be in containers, still ok to use?

And i do have one lilac bush i could use it on.

Thank you tiffy for the tip about the grass, i am trying to slowly get rid of all grass,what a job that is.
You sound like you live in the perfect spot,wild strawberries AND Blueberries,plus all the wild lupins,wonderful.

I am glad i asked this,can't wait to get these babies in the gorund.
I am planning on using straw inbetween the rows.
Thank you guys,
cAROL

o

Wood ashes are also known to deter slugs. Just saying....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here