Houzz Logo Print
lgslgs

Show us your bloomers!

lgslgs
13 years ago

These Forget Me Nots were WSed last year:

{{gwi:378279}}

{{gwi:378281}}

I just love these - they are such a wonderful shade of blue and really brighten up the garden.

Anyone else have some bloomers to show off?

Lynda

Comments (19)

• sjc48
    13 years ago

That is too funny!

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Oh Lynda, those really are pretty,I have some in one of my jugs, I hope they look that pretty,thanks for sharing.
    albert, so funny, that was my first thought.lol

• phat_gardener86
    13 years ago

I have never grown forget me nots but after seeing that pic I will definately have to try them they are gorgeous!

• PVick
    13 years ago

From jugs to bloomers! Yessssss!

Lynda, those are so pretty! Great-looking stand. Did they bloom at all the first year?

I have some annual Chinese forget-me-nots around here somewhere. Wonder if they would be as pretty as yours? Think I'll try them ....

PV

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Your forget-me-nots are gorgeous. I WS some a couple of years ago, but they were very leggy and didn't do at all well. If they would look like yours I would grow try them again!

• crazyutahn
    13 years ago

I just love those flowers! Do they require a lot of shade? I do not have much shade in my yard so I have to be careful with that....I can't grow hydrangeas either which are my favorite. (sigh)

• lgslgs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PVick - these are the perennial Forget Me Nots. They didn't bloom at all last year but are making up for it now. Last year I did have some annual ones - those were pretty but the plants were quite weedy in form. Not big balls of blooming flowers like these ones.

Crazyutahn - mine are in full sun and seem perfectly happy with it.

Lynda

• serenae
    13 years ago

So lovely! I WS some of these, as well as the Chinese Forget-me-nots. I was hoping they'd bloom the first year, but I'm willing to wait.

Thanks for sharing - it's encouraging!

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

Those FMN are fantastic--may just have to add those to my next list of WS seeds. A few things are beginning to put some color in the landscape:

{{gwi:378283}}

{{gwi:378284}}

{{gwi:378285}}

• crazyutahn
    13 years ago

That is what we all work so hard in our gardens for! I'm jealous.

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I don't have much blooming yet at all...

Here is a little NOID japanese roof iris I received from someone recently. The bloom is fully open and no bigger than a quarter.

{{gwi:378286}}

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Lynda..what did you feed those FMN? Never seen them grow that large and wide. Where did you buy those seeds. Are they the Chinese FMN or Blue Bird? What brand of seeds? I love FMN but mine are nothing close to that size. Beautiful and thanks for sharing the photos. How do you collect seeds from FMN?

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Albert_135..that picture of the pr. of real bloomers is so funny but it brought back a high school memory when I saw that picture. I remember a beautiful young girl that moved to our community of NC about 1956-1957 and the gal's Mother made her wear bloomers like that. Her Father was a minister and they only stayed one year and moved. I felt so sorry for the young girl. Don't think it was because they were poor because all of her clothes were very nice. Don't remember her name but remember that she was a very pretty girl. We would have been in 9th. grade. Can you imagine a Mother doing that to their daughter? Sorry I got off the subject.

• lgslgs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pippi - the Forget Me Not seeds were from a mislabeled seed pack. I expected scabiosa! :) I like these better, though.

I don't feed any of the plants in my flower garden. Sometimes they get a top dressing of compost when we clean out our vegetable bucket containers and sometimes they don't.

Most of the perennials I grow are perfectly happy with poor soil once they are established.

Lynda

• not_a_contessa
    13 years ago

OMG, Gardenweed, your Heliotrope is absolutely gorgeous, I love it. Of course, all the pictures in this thread are soooo lovely to see, thanks all, what a nice treat this rainy morning.

Mary

• not_a_contessa
    13 years ago

WHOOPS, Gardenweed, I meant Heleborus not Heliotrope; just having another senior moment here.

Mary

• lgslgs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hellebores are gorgeous - and bloom so long!

{{gwi:378287}}

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

That's okay Mary. Glad you liked it! I thought you might be talking about the vinca vine/periwinkle. The short, steep slope behind my garage is covered in it and this time of year there are thousands of pretty blue flowers in amongst the dark, glossy leaves.

The hellebore is 'Regal Ruffles' and this is the first time it's bloomed since I planted it. It's growing on the northeast corner of my house where the driveway and breezeway meet so the snow really got piled high there this winter every time we shoveled a path. Doesn't seem to have bothered the hellebore any!

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor