Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipeony

How to transplant Lupine

chipeony
9 years ago

I put lupine seeds in 4" soil in February. And now they have a pair of leaves. I look at the bottom of the container and found some white hairy roots. Oh! I do not expect the tiny roots grow more than 4". Anyone has experience in transplanting lupine?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

I did not separate mine...I just plunked them in together with as much original soil as possible. So far, they have done well. :)

• chipeony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Carolinaflowerlover! I will put them in together ASAP before the root getting too long. Hope work for me.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

Welcome! I hope it works for you. I am not sure how it will turn out when they get larger, but I have never had them even get this far before (at least partially because of transplanting issues--I had never successfully wintersowed them before now, either). Here is to hoping! I planted a bunch of seeds directly, too. :)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yeah, they don't like being transplanted as I recall.

• smarmyclothes
    9 years ago

I did some last year. They were one of the first things to sprout for me, but were the wimpiest of everything I WS'ed at the end of the season, though part of that was a horrible earwig infestation.

Anyway, I wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't survive the winter, but I have 4 little clumps that came back (out of 6 that I originally transplanted). Now we'll see if they actually flower!

I transplanted them like everything else. I did divide my container up, but I had spaced the seed out a bit so I didn't have to disturb the roots very much to do so. I left them in the container a good long while, too. I had sprouts on March 30th, removed the container lid on April 29th, but didn't plant them out until July 1st!

We'll see how it goes, but I think if I try lupine again, I'll go with the wild variety, which are supposed to be easier to grow.

• chipeony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone's sharing experience. I put 3 of them out in 3 weeks. The roots were disturbed a little bit. Now, they have two new pair of leaves. Hoping they will be fine.

Actually I did not space the seeds in winter sowing because I made a mistake. I read the instruction to soak the seeds overnight and they were almost had roots. I was so panic like baby come out too soon. Next day, I put everything outside in February (heavy snowing).

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    9 years ago

It sounds like they are doing well...yay! My wintersowing ones are doing great. I have sprouts from spring-sowed seeds (that were in the fridge), also. I am so excited! :)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    9 years ago

Coming from Lupine country here... In our area some people consider them weeds but real gardeners don't !! :O) They are so beautiful growing in the fields and the ditches.

The key to Lupines is that they have a long sturdy tap root. If you break it you might as well throw out the whole plant. So plant it where you will not move it.

Also recognize that this is not a perennial which you can divide and some plants only live a couple of years. I used to have a garden which was forever changing because of the Lupines passing away every three or four years. They winter sowed themselves so I was never without. :O)

Best of luck with your's. Looks like they are winners!!