Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally sprouts in some of the milk jugs

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 17:07

Here in NW IL we are having a very late spring. This is a very good thing since last year everything happened way too quickly and then the frosts came and destroyed many things (apple crops, etc.). I was wondering when I would start seeing some of my jugs with sprouts.

Today I see some just starting to poke their heads through and it is so exciting. Tulips and Daffodils are starting to come up out of the ground and I see peonies breaking ground here and there. Spring is coming!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally sprouts in some of the milk jugs

I'm in WC IL. Things started popping here this past week, so I'd say you're due! I envy you your daffodils. Mine are fading already. Wish those things could hang about all summer. I love their yellow color.

o

• Posted by edie_h 5bNY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 17:30

I just saw my first sprouts today - the bachelor buttons. Love those early sprouters. :-)
Enjoying my crocus, squill and snowdrops. My daffodils haven't started yet either. I've decided I need to add some yellow crocus this fall. Such a happy color, and I'd like to see it sooner. My crocus are all white.

o

It's snowing here again. We're also having the worst flooding since the 1940s. Thankfully I live on a hill, so the water is not an issue for my house. But, the cold is putting a serious cramp in my wintersowing. I don't have a single sprout in any of my perennials, and I haven't even sown any annuals because it's too cold and I don't want the seeds to rot. Tomorrow I plan to put out my annual jugs. Otherwise I won't have them sown in time to have them included in the container count. Wish me luck!

Martha

o

Martha, I feel your pain. We had heavy rain Wed/Thurs and now temps are to dip down below freezing tonight. I'm sorry about your snow.

Spring will come. Spring will come. Spring will come! In the meantime, I have lots of sprouts, I'm just not sure if that's a good thing right now.

o

Same boat here, Martha. No sprouts, it has just been too cold, and any warm days we have had were short-lived. Too much rain, now cold and snow again. Maybe by June we'll finally get warm. Maybe then my seeds will sprout. I only have one type of annual seed I want to start and I've been putting off sowing them because of the weather. Maybe I'll go ahead and sow them and see how they do.

Karen

o

Karen, I finally sowed some zinnias because I just couldn't wait any more. I have lots of seeds that I collected off my own plants last fall. So, if I lose any of these, I have plenty of seeds I can still sow. Hang in there northerners. Our day will come.

Martha

o

Finally saw sprouts yesterday in two of my jugs, Dianthus 'Vampire' and Gillenia trifoliata, a native wildflower I sowed in the fall since it needed a warm, cold, warm cycle to germinate. So happy to see these little guys. Now the rest need to start showing me something.

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here