Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aklinda

Feel like I accomplished something this week

aklinda
11 years ago

I got about 50 linear feet of flower bed completely weeded - there was grass throughout close to a foot tall, starting to form seed heads. Got it raked up and into a big garbage can - that took 3 afternoons. Then today I got close to 70 winter sowed babies planted out - black hollyhocks, Happy Feet hollyhocks, purple coneflower, shasta daisy, red coreopsis, american dream coreopsis, pyrethrum and Golden Jubilee Agastache. As I mentioned before my goal is to have flowers so thick they choke out the weeds. There was existing stuff in the flower bed but lots of open area. I planted thick - about a foot apart - so when they get some size on them should cover the ground completely. I can't wait to see what it looks like next year.

Comments (7)

• kqcrna
    11 years ago

Good for you!

(I wish I could say the same).

Karen

• beachgrub
    11 years ago

Good job! So jealous you're planting out already - lucky bum! What a change that's gonna make, you've got some great plants there. I think i say every year "can't wait to see it next year" lol

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

50 feet! You did accomplish something! Did you get before and after shots?

• northforker
    11 years ago

Go Go Go! I bet it will be absolutely beautiful when you have everything in and growing....

• aklinda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking about pictures today - bad battery in my camera so I need to run out and get a new battery and get a few photos. I went out today to check how they were doing and they were all looking pretty perky considering the brutal New Mexico sun. I gave them some water and stuck a plastic spoon next to each one as a marker so I'll know next spring something is planted there and to help me not step on them now while they are little. It looks like I'm growing spoons.

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

Congratulations! That is an accomplishment!

Every spring, I have to spend two or three weeks digging all of the grass out of the perennial beds that grew over the winter, which always amazes me, since the brown lawn deceives me into thinking it's really dormant.

My beds are certainly not grass or weed free, but I'm finally starting to feel like I'm keeping up anyway. I've gotten a few things planted out, but most of my wintersown sprouts are too small still.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress!

Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Bad news Aklinda - Your little spoons aren't going to get any bigger. They're through growing. lol I mark my perennial seedlings with a little half circle of rocks just because I always have plenty of rocks handy. I should use markers. I was in an Ace Hardware last week and they had a whole display of plant markers. I'm thinking about putting it on my Mother's Day list.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES