Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basket of Gold

Posted by mary_max 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 17:22

I have always read this is a very easy plant to grow. I have tried to winter sow it but nothing! Whats the deal? Should I spring sow or summer sow and hold it in a pot til next year? How do you sow it for success? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basket of Gold

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 17:44

Perennial Alyssum? Sow it the regular way. Sow it in the summer. Winter sow it. All of the above. It's very easy to harvest seeds and easy to grow from seed. I posted a picture on winter sowing on FB. It likes drought conditions with full sun. Since it's basically a woody plant, I would imagine seedlings need to be kept moist but no prolonged wet feet. After they are established, they are off to the races. Also look for volunteer seedlings that can be potted up and transplanted in the fall. WHEW!

o

I've WSed this plant successfully too. I am sorry I don't keep great records, so I can't tell you when it germinated but I remember that I was impressed enough to WS it two years in a row and now have a whole pathway lined with it at the edge - love it.

If you have more seeds, maybe sow again?

o

I have WS basket of gold several times over the past 9 years.

3 different times I sowed them in Jan and February and the containers germinated mid to late April

Last year I didn't decide to sow them until 4/8 and they germinated 4/28

This year I sowed them 4/3 and they germinated 4/15.

Planted them in several different locations last year, full sun, part sun, even mostly shade and they did very well, they are blooming this year.

All I've ever done with them is surface sow the seeds, give them a very light sprinkle of soil to cover and some I never sprinkled any soil on them and they all germinated well.

I use miracle grow potting mix, not sure if that makes any difference though.

Fran

o

I sowed them this year in january and have good germination. They began sprouting last month.

o

How long does Basket of Gold bloom?

Karen

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 11:25

Still going strong here up north. The white foliage is nice thereafter.

o

But... when did it start?

Karen

o

Mine started this week. If I'm remembering right, it lasts a long time (3 weeks?) and then, like Bakemom said, the foliage looks great all summer. I think I've even gotten a little rebloom when I've tidied it up after it's first bloom.

o

Thanks. Maybe I'll try it next year.

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here