Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Bonnie (Highaltransplant) Solidago Fireworks sprouted.

tiffy_z5_6_can
13 years ago

Yep! They did! Thought I'd let you know since we were questioning whether the seeds were viable or not? Well I got germination and now we have to wait to see if they come true to form. :O) This is where the 'patience' part kicks in.

Comments (12)

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Ha! I never tried to grow it from seeds. :-)
    So happy for you, tiffy.
    I did sowed some S. 'Wichita Mountain' ----I think. :-)
    They germinated. If they are what I think they are, I will send you a bunch of seeds of that S. It's so very pretty.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Well, that caught me off guard, seeing my name in a thread title, LOL!

That is good to know, Tiffy! It produces a TON of seeds, so maybe I'll save some this year. The one I moved and thought I'd killed appears to be coming back, but not nearly as thick and full as the other one.

Let me know how they turn out.

Bonnie

• northerner_on
    13 years ago

Glad to know they sprouted Tiffy. I received seeds for Fireworks and Golden Fleece varieties this year and they are both in their containers - no activity. I put my containers in the sunshine only after the warm spell here and the only sprouts I have are my green bunching onions, and two varieties of Gaillardia. This afternoon I realized a container of Ligularia dentata which I left out overwinter (thanks to advice from you ladies) is full of sprouts. Patience indeed. We are now in another cold snap - we had flurries today, so I really don't know what is going on. We were in shorts a week ago!! This gives me time to get my peppers and tomatoes going - that's indoors and I have more control.
    Northerner.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bonnie,

Didn't mean to startle you. LOL!! Glad to hear your plants made it.

Piti,

That's great! Can't have too many Solidagos, although some members of my garden club would disagree. I plan on changing their minds with the Fireworks. Oh, your gift is blessing my gardens. :O)

Northerner,

We probably got the seeds from the same source which I consider a great one. The Golden Fleece hasn't shown any activity yet but I am also looking forward to that one. Great front of the border plant!!

As per the weather, I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. No frost in the last 4 weeks and record breaking temperatures of +20C. It has become more seasonal in the last day or so, but still higher than normal. My Buddleias are showing new growth on the branches and the Azaleas haven't even bloomed yet. WOW!

• northerner_on
    13 years ago

Surprise!! Surprise!! Tiffy, I went out to check on my containers and found that the Fireworks has sprouted. Such bright green lovely sprouts, but the Golden Fleece is still asleep. I also have sprouts of Strawberry Rhubarb and Black Eyed Susans so I guess things are just slowly creeping along. We expect temps. in the teens next week, but we'll be below zero at night!! Who knows??!!

• wendy2shoes
    13 years ago

I have sprouts in both! I guess we Canadian w'sowers will have a lot of 'solidago' love to spread around this fall!

Tops off during the day this week..I have second sets of leaves on 50% of my sprouted containers.

• wendy2shoes
    13 years ago

I can't find any reference to whether solidago blooms first season. Anyone out there have experience growing from seed?

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

I wanted to know the answer to the above question, and also whether any of you would be willing to trade goldenrod fireworks or golden fleece seeds with me, if you still have any.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Trade List

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lovesbloom,

I do not remember them blooming their first year and unfortunately my life changed drastically in late 2010. I still have the original Solidago acquired from a good Chicago friend. I gave it up in early 2011 but got it back froma friend late last year after it had flowered and seeded. Hoping to get seeds next year. :O)

I live in a province where there are over 12 native varieties of Goldenrods. They are so beautiful.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hi Lovesblooms,

I have started many Solidago species from seed - S. speciosa, S. rigida, S. nemoralis, S. flexicaulis, and S. caesia - and maybe one or two I've forgotten!

Anyway, of all these species, I can only recall 1 S. caesia plant blooming a little the first year. Most of them make a nice little clump of foliage the first year, then bloom a little the 2nd year. 3rd year they are become more mature clumps!

Many perennials are an exercise in patience.

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience, Terrene. I'm willing to be patient--but I've yet to find seeds for either of these cultivars.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Well I have several Solidago 'Fireworks' plants but have never bothered collecting seed. If you remind me next fall I will collect some!

I'm not sure the seedlings would resemble the unique form of the parent cultivar though. From my experience breeding a little, Solidago species require cross-pollination to produce viable seed. I have wild plants in the yard, but they have the more typical rough goldenrod form.

Speaking of patience, I've been waiting 5 maybe 6 (?) seasons for some white Baptisia to bloom. I think this year will be the year!!

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!