Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring Sowing

Posted by mary_max 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 17:36

Today I spring sowed a few jugs. We are 84 out and partly cloudy. So my question is do I have to tape the jugs or just close tops. They are in dappled shade now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring Sowing

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 21:48

whatever it takes to keep the tops on to retain some moisture. At 84, my biggest worry is them drying out.

o

Mary,

One of the things to remember is that you can 'fry' your seeds in hot weather so be careful of that. If you can prvide them with some aeration by making openings for the air to flow it will help. Another thing is to keep them in bright shade.

If the sun hits them directly even for a few brief minutes in dappled shade, the temperature will rise quickly. A few years ago I stuck a thermometer in a 2 liter pop bottle which had sprouts. The outside ambient temperature was 15C (60F), but inside the bottle the temperature had risen to 28C (88F). Just think - you are dealing with a little greenhouse here and you might have to open a window or two. :O)

Hope this helps.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 23:41

What could I add to advice from two experienced pros when my background doesn't include many 84F days :) Tiffy, welcome home! Too long since I've seen your name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here