Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Losing my virginity

Posted by jitsmith 5CenDen (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 17:49

I found this WS forum/FAQ/Site late for this year - didn't have enough time to collect stuff to plant into. Did round up some jugs and Spring sowed (3/26) some annuals I plan to use for color in my new perennial beds this year, mostly to see if it actually worked (dyed in the wool skeptic here) and to cover me if the direct sowing I've planned doesn't come off.

Add one more WS convert.

Here's my list:
Alyssum Tiny Tim
Alyssum Mountain of Gold (annual)
larkspur
coreopsis
blue woodruff
larkspur
Shirley Poppies
Impatiens balsamina
cosmidium
marigold
snapdrqagons
california poppies
violas
chinese forget me nots

All seeds from Diane's Seeds in Ogden, Ut except Four O'Clocks fm Valley in Boulder and Tiny Tim from Botanical Interest in Broomfield.

My Four O'Clocks haven't sprouted yet but they're supposed to be slow germinators. The Impatiens balsamina just started showing and the larkspur are barely poking above ground; the Sweet Alyssum "Tiny Tim" showed in 5 days. Everything else is showing first set, no true leaves yet.

I'm thrilled. No huge gardens to work with, but not a very large budget either.

Now the addiction sets in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Losing my virginity

You should do well: Just watch for these: You will have to cover them or bring them inside.
Impatiens balsamina
marigold

o

Congrats on your sprouts! I can remember my first year wsing in 07-08. It was exciting to see the first sprouts, and even after 7 years it's still exciting. I remember being a bit skeptical the first year, wondering if it would work, but the wsing method works great. It's a very economical way to grow lots of plants and yes it can be addicting!

I'm getting ready to sow the heat-lovers this weekend - tropical annuals, herbs, tomatoes, morning glories, etc.

o

Congrats, and yes the addiction now sets in.

I do wish everyone would stop fussing about the marigolds. They are pretty hardy. You can sow them in Feb.(which I have done) and not worry about them, they'll do just fine. They were the very first thing I ever wintersowed (about 7 years ago). I never watered or covered or anything and they thrived.

Caryl

o

haha, another skeptic hits the ground. :)

(I was also a skeptic)

o

Glad to know you're growing up...welcome!!!

o

.....small gardens? Hmmmm not for long LOL!
Congrats and welcome to your new addiction :)

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here