Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

Daffies and snowdrops and crocus...oh my!!

gardenweed_z6a
12 years ago

Despite the fact I still need layers when I venture outside, Old Man Winter is slowly, grudgingly, losing his arctic grip on my little green acre. Bulbs have forced their green-fingered way up through the thick layers of cardboard/newspapers/mulch, determined to shine their pretty faces up to the sun and splash the landscape with color.

Go ahead folks! Say Hi to the welcoming committee:

{{gwi:379891}}

{{gwi:379893}}

{{gwi:379895}}

{{gwi:379896}}

{{gwi:379898}}

{{gwi:379900}}

{{gwi:379902}}

{{gwi:379904}}

{{gwi:194691}}

{{gwi:379906}}

{{gwi:379908}}

{{gwi:379910}}

{{gwi:379912}}

{{gwi:367778}}

{{gwi:379914}}

Comments (14)

• pippi21
    12 years ago

What are those blue and white flowers? Daffs are so pretty. Is that a hellaboros trying to open in one of those pics? Thanks for sharing. I think Spring is playing tricks on all of us. It looks like it's going to be a wet and cold Spring but guess we can say April showers bring May flowers. Come on May! Hard to believe Easter is only a few weeks away.

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

pippi, i'm curious too-- i love that last pic-- what are they? and will you be dividing them this year? lol such a pretty blue!

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

You take such beautiful pictures.

• dorothy4981
    12 years ago

Thank you for sharing your eye candy! We are still in the process of trying to stare our spring bulbs out of their comfortable winter home. It is a delight to see that yours are so very happy.

Dorothy (Meadows)

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

Oh My, indeed!! What a lovely preview especially when we had temperatures below freezing this morning. Snowdrops and miniature Irises (reticulata) are the only things that have shown up here so far.

The little blue and white flowers are Puschkinia libanotica, beautiful miniature early bulbs that naturalize beautifully in my zone. They are very hardy. Great photos!!!

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!! It's such a joy to see the landscape popping with flowers instead of staring out the window at 6 ft. of snow. The little blue and white flowers are indeed Puschkinia and grow only a few inches tall--shorter than crocuses. They've naturalized through what I loosely refer to as the lawn, along with crocuses, violets & grape hyacinth. Sorry Rose, I couldn't begin to "divide" them--they're everywhere! It's impossible to walk across the lawn without stepping on them. I held the camera about 2 inches from the flower to take the photos.

I have three fat buds on my hellebore 'Regal Ruffles' and what looks like a couple more buds on two others. This is the first time they've set buds since I planted them so I'm very excited to have Lenten roses for the first time.

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Ya know, you take beautiful pictures gardenweed, but you also have such a nice way with words,love your postings
    cAROL
    WHO IS GOING OUT TO EAT TONIGHT!

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

hellebores are such special plants- i love them! i hope you will be posting pics when yours bloom. there's something so delicate and ethereal about them even though they are so hardy. i have a ton of hellebore seeds wintersown but nothing yet. my pink one set seed last year and many babies have sprung up under it though so i'm excited :) it has been warm enough too that the bees are out, so i'm hopeful for seeds again this year.

i will have to look for those bulbs. i love things that naturalize.

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Rose,I have a yellow helebores, with lots of babies coming up, if they make it, you are welcome to some,if ya want.
    cAROL

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

oooh carol that would be awesome-- i don't have any in yellow!! would you like some pink babies in return?

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Oh my Yes,lets talk through e mail,ok
    cAROL

• gardenweed_z6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cAROL - waving my hand in the air here if you have enough yellow hellebore seedlings to share. Our 2011 trade list is growing by leaps and bounds!

I got outside in the sun at the right time of day today and shot this picture of the puschkinia in the lawn to give folks a bit of perspective of what it looks like when it naturalizes...

{{gwi:379916}}

...but couldn't resist another close-up
    {{gwi:379919}}

That last one looks like a flower saying, "Look at ME!!! Look at ME!!! Aren't I beautiful?!"

• just1morehosta
    12 years ago

Gardenweed, yes, I will remember you also,lol
    Do we have a trade list somewhere? Tell me more,tell me more.
    I will check on them tomorrow and get back to you both,ok
    cAROL

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

yes, it is beautiful-- and effective, as i keep coming back to it. i have some interesting hardy geraniums i wsed this year and some equally interesting hellebores if they ever sprout. i also have many other things. . .maybe we could arrange a trade too :D