Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

All in one place.

token28001
14 years ago

I finally got rid of my racks. I moved everything out of the hoophouse weeks ago. I put it all at the end of the driveway. This includes rooting/ed cuttings and overwintered plants from inside the basement. It's all a little overwhelming at this point.

{{gwi:380059}}

Tuesday I'll get a good and decent run at planting out. I still have a lot of really tiny seedlings this year. About half of what has sprouted hasn't given me the second leaves yet. Is there anything I can do to speed them up? It's been in the mid 80s for 4 days now.

I know. Patience. But I DON'T WANT TO BE PATIENT! I WANT BIG PLANTS!!!

Comments (19)

• sweetlady
    14 years ago

WOW, a little overwhelming, that is an understatement Token :) I think when I start planting out I will forego the gym, that will be my exercise. This will be good for your heart, I think :)

• adamark
    14 years ago

Token; didn't you say that this year you are going to take it easy....Wow, and I thought that I'm bad. Everything looks so beautiful and neat. How those shoe boxes are working out? happy planting.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, taking it easy means direct sowing most of my annuals. These are 75% perennials. And I'm sowing things for 3 or 4 others too, not just me. So not all those plants will go in my yard. Just most.

The shoeboxes are great. I use them in my wooden window boxes. It makes it easy to change them out if/when the annuals that I just sowed are done. I'm thinking of buying a couple of miniature roses next spring, if I can find red ones. They're cold hardy to -10* so they should overwinter fine. I'd love to have roses spilling out from under the windows.

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

I can't promise it'll work Token but any chance you can get some worm...er, "castings?' I lucked out when a woman at work who WS learned I WS and brought me a coffee can filled with WP. I'm using it in a weak tea solution to bottom water my bare-root plants and perennials awakening from last year. If we hadn't had 5 inches of rain last week I'd be watering lots of other things with it. I also gave some to my two tomato plants grown from seed. They're 5 inches tall and looking VERY healthy. It could be a combination of the unusually warm, sunny weather we've had but I don't discount the effect of the WP/WC. I've heard it called 'gardeners' gold' among other things.
    Like you, I'm sowing things for others, including neighbors, friends & family. Gardens in north central and northeastern CT are going to be listed on garden club tours if all the seeds I WS germinate and so far thousands of them have already done so.
    Winter sowing ROCKS!!!

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll be getting some horse poo on Tuesday. It's well rotted and aged. I was thinking of making a tea from that for the seedlings. My tomatoes are just beginning to put out their second leaves. I had to start over as I killed my indoor starts with neglect. I'm so used to wintersowing, I just assumed they could handle the 38 degree mornings.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Compost tea could work very well.

• northforker
    14 years ago

I have heard of this tea idea but never tried it. Hubby went and loaded up our P/U truck bed with aged horse and duck manure on Saturday and I have a kitchen scrap/leaf compost going year round. Do you just mix the solids in water and strain? Or do you have to use hot water (like tea)? Do tell....

BTW - You are amazing Token!Eat your wheaties and get planting!

• GawdinFever
    14 years ago

Yep, you better eat your wheaties....wow! That's a lot to plant out! I'm envious, though! So organized, too! I try, but mine never looks like that! ;)

• karendee
    14 years ago

wow that looks like a nursery or a garden center :)

Good luck planting. I over did it this year big time. I have some second leaves already. How can that be in my zone, lol

I guess I need to try to do what I say next year and pick just a few plants to sow.

Poop tea sounds so funny to me. I know it is a good fertlizer but still funny :) Maybe those babies do need a weak fertlizer?

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The idea is basic, just steep and aerate. Here's a recipe.

• karendee
    14 years ago

cool recipe, thanks! I may try it this year. I am trying to fertlize organically with no chemicals. This would be great and easy to spray they plants with.

Karen

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

That looks more complicated than the one I saw for alfalfa tea where it is steeped in a plastic g. can without using an air pump or hose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alfalfa tea

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Putting them all together really gives us an understanding of the scope of your planting out. It makes me tired just to think of all that work. Glad you are still have lots of energy. I can hardly wait to see your gardens in bloom.

This warm spring is making me think that I might forget about using a hoop house. I would be just setting it up about now.

• dorisl
    14 years ago

you ARE ONE ORganized kinda guy, Token.

Where's the green pop bottle?

:)

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's in there Doris, at the back.

I may have the check out the feed store for some alfalfa pellets. That's much easier, but it is a high nitrogen source as well.

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I spy with my little eye...the green 2L.

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

What about Alaska's Fish Emulsion at Lowes?

Or some high N food at a hydroponic store.

Always gives my sprouts an immediate boost.

Token's Pineapple Sage is doing AWESOME!! My mom was visiting recently and said she HAD to have some!! Good thing I started two jugs:))

She'll save seeds too, in case there's another swap;)

• bev2009
    14 years ago

token, I won two centerpieces at my niece's bridal shower last year. A miniature white rose and a red one. When I went to plant them, I found they were actually about 6 plants in each pot. However, I was in a hurry and stuck the whole grouping in each hole. I was planning on digging them up and separating them. I don't remember for sure which are the red and which are the white. I can look for some pictures from last year.

Could I send you a couple of the red as a thank you for the great "rock swap" of 2010? If so, should I wait until they leaf out? I think they are just starting.

Bev

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well Bev, Miss Jean tells me never to turn down an offer of free plants. I would be honored. The red will look great in the window boxes on the front of the house. If they're just starting to leaf out, they'll ship much easier. Just let me know if you want anything in return. I have plenty of plants to share and will have tons of seeds in the fall, again. ;)