Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Dahlia now?.....Limequilla? Anyone?

vera_eastern_wa
15 years ago

Can I start Dahlia now? Or are these ones to be started indoors? We are 3.5 weeks away from the last frost date (May 11-15th).

Thanks,

Vera

Comments (6)

• ohsillyme
    15 years ago

My dahlia sprouted already!
    Go for it!

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I'll that :D

Vera

• pitimpinai
    15 years ago

I potted all of mine up for now, because the ground is not warm enough yet. I just lined them all up on the sidewalk, though. I had to keep them in the garage for over a week because we had frost last weekend and the wind was mighty cold too. Several of them rotted because of the cold and moist soil.

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Pit!!! Where ya been hiding? I think of ya every time I walk out the front door and see how well the Monarda is doing. I can hardly wait to see what show the Solidago 'Fireworks' gives this year....

I just finished reading about digging, dividing and storing tubers on the Colorado Dahlia Society website...very informative I might add with pictures....and what a chore this all looks like! Holy cow :O
    Some good info there as well regarding disbudding and topping too...can't wait to experiment; thanks to Lime :D

Vera

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado Dahlia Society

• limequilla
    15 years ago

Hi Vera, and Happy Spring!

Yes, start them now. (Or you could have started them 2 weeks ago, but no earlier, just for the reason Pitim stated.) They want heat and light (or sun) and won't put up with cold soil.I swear, we have had NO SUN this whole spring and starting them outside would have been the kiss of death. I *wanted* to, but finally gave up and sowed them inside. They get off to a slow start, then before you know it they are knocking up against the top of the jug (or against the top of the lights if you grow them inside).

The tuber digging in fall is a pain BUT you will be more highly motivated if you only plan on digging the tubers of the flowers and plants you really, really loved. I had a purple last year, and keep in mind I am a coral-red-peach sort of gal, but I had an electric purple dahlia with a black center from this group, and I dug the tubers because it was so spectacular. I dug a few others, too, but a lot of them I let just rot in the ground. With the easy and fast seed, it's sort of easy-come-easy-go, so why kill myself?

Oh, on the seed, if you oversow by double, they bloom really young, so you can pick and choose the prettiest colors and kill off the rest.

Lime

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lime!!

Well it's not too warm here right now either, but I shouldn't need to worry unless they've sprouted right?
    What do you mean by if I oversow by double that they will bloom really young? Do you mean to plant out crowded hunks? If so, I'd rather have later blooms than sooner. I need more blooming in fall :D

Vera

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists