Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Telling the Difference Between Rudbeckia and Echinacea

Posted by dawiff z7 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 18:30

Last year at a swap I picked up one of each. They weren't labeled and silly me! I thought I wouldn't have any trouble telling which is which. I *think* I know, but want to be sure. So......

Rudbeckia?
Photobucket

Echinacea?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Telling the Difference Between Rudbeckia and Echinacea

My Echinacea is up and it looks more like the first picture you posted than the second. I don't have rudbeckia growing yet (other than WS sprouts) so I can't vouch for that one. I'm no expert on either one but I could email you a picture of my Echinacea 'White Swan' and you could decide for yourself. Is your email address displayed on Your Page?

o

The first one looks like a Rudbeckia, could be 'Goldsturm'. The leaves are rounder.
The second is Echinacia. The leaves are elongated. If you transplant them, you'll see that the base of the stems are pinkish.

o
Echinacea - pink stems

Echinacea --sorry.

o

I agree that the top photo is rudbeckia and the bottom one echinacea. Rudbeckia leaves are usually fuzzy and echinacea are smooth, in addition to the differences already noted.

Becky

o

I think you got it right :) The second photo looks like my Echinacea.

o

Thanks for the confirmation! It's good to know that after not having a garden to play in for a year I haven't lost my touch!

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 18:25

some of my rud seedlings are more fuzzy while others are not. I wonder if it is the strain that matters?

Anyway once they bloom you should be able to tell. Both look like ruds to me but I am a novice for sure!

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here