Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leisa_in_md

UGH... all my tomatoes died

leisa_in_md
12 years ago

First 80s, then nights of freezing temps. My WS tomatoes finally kicked the bucket. Thanks mother nature. They were doing really well, too :(

This has been such a crazy spring. The veggies that are SUPPOSED to be growing now, aren't. The ones that AREN'T supposed to be growing now, sprouted early with the heat then died with the cold. I can't win this year.

It's not too late to start over again, is it?

Comments (9)

• albertar
    12 years ago

Leisa
    I just started more tomatoes yesterday, not because mine died, but because of bad germination. I don't think its too late for you to do some more seeds.

Alberta

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I started most of mine yesterday too. There's plenty of time.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I'm not much of a veggie grower, but I don't think it's too late for tomatoes.

My beefsteak didn't sprout so I added more seeds the day before yesterday. Some cups had multiple sprouts, so I pricked one out of those cups and transplanted to other cups. Now, if I don't kill them...

BTW, some of them are tiny- seed leaves only- so I'm not far ahead of you. If you have any shorter DTM varieties, a few of those might be good choices.

Karen

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

Some of my Opalka and Cherokee Purple might be goners. I was away for the weekend and didn't uncover them because I wasn't sure about nighttime temps. By the time I got the tops off today they look wilted. I watered, then transplanted them to bigger pots because they were way crowded in their 2L bottles. I'm crossing my fingers, and might resow some of Opalka and another paste variety just in case.

For the first time in a long time I started a couple of my long DTMs inside. They're bigger than their WS cousins, but not by a whole lot.

This year has been wild. I've never had to transplant to bigger pots, but the plants came up so early that they're already bigger than they usually are when I plant out, which shouldn't be for another month (our last frost date is listed as May 15). The 10-day looks good, and if it's still like this in a week I'll probably put them in their permanent home around the first of May.

Best of luck to everyone. It's hard to know what to do when everything you know from experience doesn't seem to apply this year.

Caryl

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    12 years ago

You're not alone, between the cold after the short summer lol and the wind I lost more than half my tomatoes. Replanted some of them but was out of seed for others. The ones that survived look pretty sad. I'm not going to buy plants-I'm not going to buy plants!

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I am starting my tomatoes tomorrow. Will start some inside and ws others.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Well, you made me feel better... Several of my tomato seedlings died, which never happened before in my 3 years of winter sowing tomatoes.

The other odd thing is the ones that are left seem to have stalled out. They are alive, but no true leaves yet.

I guess every year is a little different.

Lois in PA

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

My okra and squash are starting to turn brown. I'm going to move the veggies in the shade.

• corgitrbl
    12 years ago

When the rash of 70 temps happened months ago I repotted mine into pots and plunked them into straw baskets with handles so I could place plastic over them. It was kinda bewildering what was going on as I seemed to keep them too moist -- then the rash of cold came on and I had nice yellow tomatoes. Some miracle grow and warm water with epsom salts helped. I covered them with painters plastic most nights and uncovered if it was warm. I found the plants in plastic pots did really well but the peat pots were touch and go. If I did this again I would wait a few more week when I get them out of the ws containers to pot.

What I am getting at is you probably still need to get them out of containers at the two leaf stage. Maybe you need to repot those seedlings into larger plastic pots or into cold frames.

Sponsored