Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2shoes

Problems with agastache (w/s)

wendy2shoes
11 years ago

I wintersowed agastache about 4 years ago. It's not a very attractive plant, but the bees love it. It seems to be pushing out a lot of my other perennials, popping up all over, to the point where I would consider it invasive. If it was a pretty pink or rose, it wouldn't be so bad, but the flower is rather small, and a dusty light purple.
Anyone else have an opinion? It's almost like it's a weed version of a cultivar, like bindweed is to a morning glory.

Comments (9)

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I agree with you, that it is not the most beautiful flower, and they do reseed vigorously. I keep it because it blooms for a long time and attracts many beneficial pollinators. It is also very drought tolerant and finches love to eat the seeds. Unfortunately, the finches swaying on the stalks and pecking at the seeds is why they can pop up great distances from where they were originally planted. They are easy to recognize and pull out when still small, but there are hundreds or thousands of them. Careful mulching can help prevent some of the reseeding, but that prevents other, more desirable reseeders, from sprouting. I don't know if this helps you, but I do agree with your observations.

Martha

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    11 years ago

I used to have it in lean soil and it did well. Mine were seeds from Agastache Blue Fortune and I did enjoy the flowers as did the pollinators. :O)

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

There are other agastache varieties that also attract bees and hummingbirds and are more attractive that don't reseed as readily. 'Firebird' is a nice pink and dainty looking flower.

• drippy
    11 years ago

I like agastache mexicana, which I grew originally from commercial seed, but have been unable to get collected seeds to germinate. It is not spreading, and I am in a southern climate. The fragrance is phenomenal. I may try vegetative propagation this year to get more.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Are these invasive, I WS'd Agastache "Honeybee White" and "Golden Jubilee"? They have sprouted! But i don't want an invasive plant!

• dawiff
    11 years ago

I don't know about HoneyBee White, but Golden Jubilee is a great perennial, not at all invasive. I have two nice big clumps of it and in three years I have only had three seedlings pop up a few feet away from them.

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

I have grown Blue Fortune for many years and would not be without it. Mine was glorious last year, over 5 feet tall with beautiful blue spikes, and attracted several types of butterflies as well as the bees. It is not perennial in my zone and I don't find it invasive because I deadhead everything in my garden. It produces so many seeds I can imagine it being considered invasive if left in the garden over winter. I have had a few volunteers pop up over the years, but they were easy to identify and pull.

• wendy2shoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess my problem is the Autumn two years ago when I fell and fractured my heel. No yard clean up, and now I am paying the price. We are getting so much rain right now though, that I should be able to pull the babies I don't want quite easily. (The ones that are pushing out my gooseneck loosestrife.)

{{gwi:380561}}

You can see how they are all growing along the edge of my bed. The roots seem to have runners as well. Maybe it isn't Agastache, but the flowers sure look like it.

Here's a photo of the flower..not very close up, but it's in the lower right corner, just in between my Joe Pye and bee balm. (Light purple spear, looks like a mint flower a bit). It does have a lovely scent. Perhaps it's a wild version?

{{gwi:380562}}

• terrene
    11 years ago

I think Blue Fortune and Black Adder are sterile hybrids, they are both gorgeous and neither one has made any seedlings in my gardens. I also have a small Golden jubilee, which I got as a seedling in a swap, and it hasn't made any seedlings yet.

But the straight Agastache foeniculum does seed around all over the place. I love it though, think it mixes well with other more showy perennials and looks nice in a drift. I grow it in the "xeric" garden which is quite dry, and it does well there. And it is one of the bumblebees' favorite plants!

Sponsored