Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

Tips for newbies planting out for the first time...

northforker
14 years ago

As I gardened the past two days, I kept thinking about how much I have learned in the past 3 years. Let's start a thread where we share some of this wisdom:

1) After spending a great deal of time clearing weeds from a spot in your garden, FILL IT. Put out some sprouts as soon as you can. I use to try to clear whole beds over a weekend or two, then on the 3rd or 4th weekend go back with a tray of babies and - you guessed it, the weeds came back.

2) Plant large groups. It is tempting to take the container of sprouts of a plant you think your going to love and "spread it around". But what often happens is then you just get a few flowers here and there, not enough to make a statement. I am planting whole containers at a time these days - breaking them into HOS and making large circles.

3) that's another thing - circles not straight lines!

Jump in folks.........

Nancy

Comments (23)

• token28001
    14 years ago

I've been doing the same thing with mine. I get at least three clumps from most containers depending on the sow pattern.

I also dig and weed at the same time.

I always try to plant in odd numbers. I put three or five clumps together, maybe not in a circle, but in the general area. I figured out what I want are borders that flow with a nice variety of plants behind. My original plan was to stick with the anchors I had placed. Now, things just get planted. Don't worry. You'll move everything at least one more time anyway.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Make an appointment for a massage for the next day! You're going to need it!!

• terrene
    14 years ago

I tend to sow fewer seeds for most perennials and annuals and then plant them individually, in natural groupings and drifts of 3-6 plants. Some plants like Alyssum, Cal. poppies, etc. do very well planted HOS style.

Some techniques that worked for me -

- Plant out as early as possible, when the seedlings are 1-2 inches big - this resulted in larger plants and better chance of bloom in the first year

- Keep mulch/leaves back away from small seedlings, because this can harbor slugs

- Water seedlings diligently to get established, every 1-2 days if it doesn't rain

- Extras can be potted in cups or small nursery pots for a later plant-out date

• anewgarden
    14 years ago

Thank you so much!!
    More Tips Anyone???
    this is helpful!

• karendee
    14 years ago

Nice tips!!

I planted out this weekend. I put groups of 2 or 3 for most containers. (more for the large kitty litter containers those had lots of babies)

I like the tips.... Keep em coming for the newbies!

Karen

• northforker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terrene is right about staying on top of watering the newly planted babies - I lost many sprouts my first year by "forgetting" it had not rained for a few days.

Also, those plants are going to need regular watering even when they are established. Think ahead now about how you will handle the watering.You will probably have more plants than you have ever had. I found I was spending every evening after work moving hoses and sprinklers around (and evening is not the best time to water...) By August I started have fantasies about an automatic watering system. Took me two years of saving/ planning, but we finally got one last year (drip and sprinklers).

If you are using hoses / sprinklers, start looking now for "quick release" nozzles and sprinklers on sale. It is so much easier if you can just leave a sprinkler in the bed, walk over with the hose, snap on and go!!!

Nancy

• sopamanda
    14 years ago

Great tips... we're all reading!

• wendy2shoes
    14 years ago

If I've planted out some sprouts of something rare, or something I've really wanted for a long time, those are the sprouts that the squirrels will dig up. They seem to have a fascination for disturbed soil..maybe they think someone planted a nut there.
    So, to avoid massive disappointment, (and not owning a pellet gun), I protect the special ones with old wire freezer baskets, bought at the Goodwill, until they get established.
    Doesn't look very pretty, but at least I save my babies!

• bakemom_gw
    14 years ago

I always plant out in the rain as early as possible.

• karendee
    14 years ago

I guess I did something right I planted out right before a rain Sat and it is still raining here. I figured the babies could get started in the overcast and get watered well.

any more tips experts?

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

If you have a new bed, or are unsure if you have slugs, use a beer bait! If you do find even one, treat the bed with Iron Phosphate about 2 weeks before you put any plants in it! Never again will I let those little critters destroy my babies!! Iron Phosphate is completly safe for children, pets, and wildlife. It's also good for keeping this gardener from insanity caused by the slug battle.

• albertar
    14 years ago

I have very few weeds, the ones I do have grow within the grass but the main reason is because of mulching constantly and also as soon as I spot a weed it is pulled. In the summer I will mulch with grass clippings and shredded leaves. In the fall through winter all beds are mulched with shredded leaves. It helps, it really does, :)

Alberta

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Alberta, I don't have a weed problem either. Some of it is due to the complex using chemicals on the lawn, some it from prior mulching, adding compost, sand, etc. It's hung in there too, because I haven't worked that area in over 2 years... and still, very few weeds. Awe crud! Now that I've said that... I sure hope I didn't jinx myself!

• dirtbert
    14 years ago

One watering tip I received a few years ago was to dig several holes for planting (even small) and then fill the holes with water. As soon as the water has been absorbed into the surrounding dirt, then I plant. It really seems to make a difference. Of course I also water the babies right after planting them. But that extra water to the surrounding soil seems to really help.

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Before plant out I installed a rain barrel. So far it has been helpful. I also intend to make a drip hose out of the old one that got holey and lay it along my garden bed down the hill. Hopefully gravity will help with the watering. Most of the water that collects in my yard is at the bottom so that bit doesn't need much.
    I'm a bit worried about the sprouts getting too much sun, or being shaded out by my perennials. Any tips for that?

• terrene
    14 years ago

Floodthelast, last year I used an umbrella to shade some seedlings that were planted in June, during very hot dry sunny weather. This is not good weather for planting or transplanting anything, but can be done with careful watering and shading the plants for a few days.

Make sure containers are watered well before planting time - this makes it easier to get the seedlings out and separate the roots. (Since I mostly plant those little babies individually, it really helps.)

Seedlings can also benefit from a very dilute balanced liquid fertilizer. I'm strictly organic, so use liquid seaweed, about 1 tablespoon of the seaweed concentrate per gallon of watering can. This also feeds the soil micro-organisms. I've tried fish emulsion, but that attracted raccoons who would dig up the soil looking for the "fish". Seaweed doesn't attract critters. Some people use a diluted compost tea and say this works wonders for seedlings.

I dug up an FAQ on this by trudi -

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing Seedlings and a Simple Explanation of N-P-K

• offplumb
    14 years ago

bumping this up - thanks for the tips!

• sunny631
    14 years ago

This being my first year I am enjoying this thread.
    My first lesson learned is not to stress over the process. Plant 'em and forget 'em. As long as the seeds are good they will sprout and when they start there's no stopping them.
    The next one would to be plant the sprouts out when they are still pretty small. The ones I had in the jugs trying to figure out where I wanted them seemed to have a harder time adjusting to the move. They recovered but, they looked pretty bad there for a while.

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

I'm just going to repeat one of Nan's comments, because I constantly find myself doing exallty the opposite, even though I don't mean to.

Plant in large clumps! Do not put a few here and a few there. If you want to try it in different spots, then plant 2 or 3 large clumps. Do not mix everything all together, unless you know that's going to work for you.

I keep fishing things out of a tangle of other plants, because I scattered something else in there, and it has no impact.

I think part of it comes from trying to have all-season bloom in every garden spot. But there's more impact in having a glorious clump, a green spot, and another glorious clump, than a few blooms everywhere but lost in green.

Foliage color and texture makes a big difference when the plants aren't blooming, so think about that when planting out, too!

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Thanks for the follow up terrene, I'll try to remember it. I have almost full shade in my back yard, in some spots maybe four hours of sun a day. Out front is the opposite full sun. So I worry about both, lol.

• mayberrygardener
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the tips. I am surprised that I have ZERO sprouts in the tomato/pepper/tomatillo department, although my alyssums have TAKEN OFF, as have the petunias. A few pansies (shockingly few--three sprouts of two seed packs!), and a couple lettuce as well as some genovese basil have sprouted, but nary a blink from the staples of my veggie garden. Should I check if the seeds have rotted?

BTW, when I went to plant out some of the alyssums and petunias the other day, I found that a BUNCH of petunias must have self-seeded in the container, and I have a veritable petunia patch--countless sprouts in one square inch! Normally, I would have thought these were weeds and ripped them all out (or buried them, tilled them back in, etc.) except that thanks to this forum, I recognized them for what they are!

Thanks for all the tips, and especially the one about planting in clumps! I was getting ready to separate out, but now I think I'll leave them in bigger hunks!

• leisa_in_md
    14 years ago

I'm a zone warmer than you, and I have only one lone tomato sprout, so maybe it's just not warm enough yet?

And I'm still waiting for several other things, like split pea vine.

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

THANKS ALL for all the wonderful suggestions!!

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure