Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beck_wi

seed pod id help

beck_wi
14 years ago

I posted this in the seed saving forum and I was sent here, since apparently you guys are smarter (you'll note the sucking up lol)

I was separating some inherited poppy seeds from the pods and came across some other kind of seeds. The seeds are more than three times the size of the poppies.

The pods themselves are 1/2"-3/4" long and are brown and fuzzy on the outside. The seeds are separated on the inside by a thin papery membrane.

When I roll the seeds in my fingers they feel like a chestnut would with one side flat.

In this pic, you'll note that some of them have popped open and the open side is flat-- almost like someone cut them in half.

{{gwi:381435}}

I inherited these when my aunt passed away, and I thought I knew everything she grew but I'm completely stumped.

Help!! :)

Comments (29)

• daisydawnny
    14 years ago

Could they be Peony seeds?

• barbe_wa
    14 years ago

Here's a picture of the seed but sadly no pic of the pod.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony seed

• northforker
    14 years ago

Can't help at all except to say I collect seed from over 50 flowering plants in my garden and those DO NOT look like any pods I've ever seen! Do you think she'd have saved a pod from a tree or bush? I am clueless about those..

The picture looks just like a group of little mice!

Someone here is sure to know what the seed is....

• token28001
    14 years ago

Almost reminds me of an azalea seed pod. I can't remember what the seeds look like.

{{gwi:381438}}

• origami_master
    14 years ago

azalea seeds are almost dust like - very small. I second peony pods.

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The only part of the description of peony seeds that doesn't fit is it says they are brightly colored and my seeds are dark brown.

I found a container tonight while i was working, so I think I'm going to sow them and see what sprouts.... maybe the seedlings will give us a better idea.

thanks.

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I think they look like mice also. Are you SURE you are not sowing mice?

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Beck,
    Hey, hey, Smarter here?! Not nice LOL, you know I'm kidding.
    I think peony is correct. The pods are furry and the seeds are the correct size and shape. I have peony seeds here and they are dark brown.
    If they are peony seeds, you will need winter sow them in fall. They will not sprout without going through a cold period.
    Remy

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry Remy...I had a feeling there was some cross-over from other threads, lol thanks for sending me in the right direction though.

I have a SERIOUS mouse phobia.....so I'm fairly certain they aren't mice. lol Its funny to me that you say that because I said the same thing when I picked out the first one with a tail.

Can I pop half in the freezer for a few days? I'm dying to know if they truly are peonies.
    The other half can wait until fall.

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Beck,
    No need for sorry, I love the winter sowers and sucking up to them is always a good thing, lol : )
    Throwing them in the freezer for a little bit won't work. I knew they need to be sown in fall before winter so I went and double checked since it has been awhile since reading about them. They do need extended warm so actually it is before fall that they need to be sown. Then they need extended cold. So you can sow them now in pots outside. Leave them where you won't forget about them and where they won't dry out too fast like on the east side of a building or on a porch. Keep the soil moist and hopefully you'll have babies : )
    Remy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I think they could be seed pods from the lovely native Celandine Poppy. I have seen the pods but never the seeds. In the pic below you can see the green fuzzy seed pods.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:381419}}

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

damn. now what do I do?

Honestly, I think Sue might be right. It would make perfect sense since I was working in a bag labeled "yellow Poppies" and I know that my aunt was working on trying to get more orange ones.

I think I'm going to pull them all from their pods and separate them in four groups. One group I will WS now and see if they sprout, and then hang onto the rest for a different time if they don't sprout.
    The seedlings should give me a better idea of what they are. hopefully.

thanks guys

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Good guess Sue, but tt is not Celandine Poppy.
    If you google stylophorum diphyllum, you will see in second link(can't link to it here, GW won't allow that site to be linked) on Plant Files a very good photo of pods and seeds and they do not look like yours.
    Remy

• dorisl
    13 years ago

ooooooooo I wonder if I have some of those poppies sprouting in the yard? There's some mum-kinda-looking things where there shouldnt be any mum's!

way kewl!

Id have seconded the peony pods tho, and nt worried about the colors, cause after having been stored and dried for a while, wouldnt they turn brown anywasy?

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went into the peony forum and posted this... so far no answers.

IF they are peonies, they seem like too much work, imo. I'll either sprinkle them under my other peonies and let nature decide, or I'll offer them up to someone who has a lot more time and patience than I do.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

hmmmm......Well, I do know those pods don't look like any of my peony pods. My pods were always 3 sided, and the seeds were usually the size of a pea, or a sweet pea. The pods weren't hairy either.

{{gwi:381422}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:381424}}

• wendy2shoes
    13 years ago

Call me crazy, (please), but these pods look like they could be from an impatiens..possibly balsam? Sometimes they just dry up and don't pop on the stem.

• northforker
    13 years ago

Huh. Balsam? Went back and looked at the mice (I mean seeds..)and you know, you might just be on to something! But the "fuzz" throws me. However, I always do the "careful squeeze of the pod in the garden with a closed hand" and only take the seeds inside to dry. Maybe if you took the whole pod to dry, they would get fuzzy!!!! I don't think they are very fuzzy on the balsam plant, but maybe I've just never noticed.

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are balsam seeds that big? Tomorrow I'll take a picture of them next to something to give you an idea of size.

Balsam rings a bell, when I try to think of the plants she grew, but in name only. I can seem to find a picture that rings the same bell.

I am considering keeping one, and gluing on some teeny grey ears. j/k

• PVick
    13 years ago

Don't think it's balsam, the seeds look too big. And balsam seeds are very uniformly round-ish.

beck - garden balsam is also called "touch-me-not", because of the way the seed pods burst open when touched. Maybe you remember them by that name?

PV

• GawdinFever
    13 years ago

Definitely balsam impatiens. (One of my favs!)

The seed size and shape varies by maturity of seed. 'Most' pods will pop open when you touch them, but not all. Again---maturity reins here. My picture from my stash of seeds....

{{gwi:381441}}

Another poster on GW has pics, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatien seed harvesting

• northerner_on
    13 years ago

They certainly do not look like any of the seeds produced by my peonies. Peony seed pods are smooth and as shown in the pic above. I do not think they are balsam either - the hairiness and the fact that they remain intact does not point to balsam. They look like they are of the pea family. Sweet peas?

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi again,
    Though I do not know for certain they are peony seeds, I do have to say some peony seed pods are furry. Please see the link below.
    Here's a pic I took of Tree Peony Seeds Balsam seeds and seeds of a white peony from Alaska that I believe is Obavata(couldn't remember name when writing, lol)
    {{gwi:381443}}
    As you can see peony seeds can vary greatly in size depending on type.

Here is a link that might be useful: Furry Peony Seed Pod Pic

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, if they are balsam, do they need to be soaked/frozen before sowing?

Here they are with a dime for size comparison.

{{gwi:381448}}

• GawdinFever
    13 years ago

They don't need either! Just direct sow after your last frost date.

• wendy2shoes
    13 years ago

Do I get a prize?

• beck_wi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I could send you some of the mice if you want. lol

• wendy2shoes
    13 years ago

Thanks, (but no thanks)..they reseed plenty in my garden! :)

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Yay, we have winner : ) The unexploded state threw me off too. A dime in the photo helped a lot!
    Remy

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals