Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamela_star

Mold

tamela_star
10 years ago

This is my first year trying to winter sow. I did one milk jug and the rest were cool whip containers. I kept them out on my porch outside all winter, and when I went to check on them I saw mold. The milk jug with hollyhocks are doing fine and I see sprouts! I'm worried about my other seeds since I saw the white mold. Does anybody know if they'll be okay?

Comments (9)

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    10 years ago

I've never had mold. I've had green stuff on the surface, some kind of algae perhaps, which is not harmful, but I don't know about mold. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the containers, since it only appears on the cool whip containers.

• agathafroo
    10 years ago

How wet is your soil, and how big are your lid holes? The white growth could be the harmful type, or it could be harmless, but either way it usually indicates too much moisture, too little circulation. If it's above 40 degrees today, take your lids off and allow to air out a bit. Put the lids back on if the temp's going to drop below 40 tonight. You can also lightly spray the surface with hydrogen peroxide or chamomile tea to kill off the white stuff that's already there. So your seeds may be fine, only time will tell. Good luck!

• tamela_star
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, my guess is perhaps too little circulation. I didn't pay much attention to them in the winter and I didn't think mold would grow in the cold. I started some seedlings indoors. Just a few so far. Nothing has sprouted in the cool whip containers yet. Just a couple of holly hocks so far in the milk jug. It's unseasonably cold so maybe that has something to do with the delay in sprouts. Nothing seems to want to grow :(

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

I've never used cool whip containers, but I'm wondering what you covered them with, clear plastic wrap or the lids that came with the cool whip? If it's the latter, maybe they're not getting enough light?

Caryl

• tamela_star
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I followed the instructions on this site. I cut out the middle of the lid leaving the rim to hold the plastic wrap on it, and a few slits for air holes.

• eastern_peregrine
    10 years ago

Hi tamela_star,
    I agree with agathafroo. Chamomile tea will protect your seedlings. Make some chamomile tea and dilute it with water until it is pale in color. Use this weak chamomile tea to water your containers and you should see improvement very quickly. Hope your winter-sowing goes well!

• tamela_star
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The mold is gone but no sprouts yet, and the weather is warm. I started some new seeds. The only plants that sprouted for me were the hollyhock. I guess the seeds that I winter sowed might have died. Only time will tell. Thanks for all the help and suggestions

• ocelaris
    9 years ago

Although typically mold means too much moisture, sometimes it's hard to strike a balance of moisture vs. too dry. I typically never see white mold in my milk jug containers without lids, but on seed trays with less air movement I will see it. Basically it means to me that I'm not getting enough air movement.

Another alternative is to use a general purpose disinfectant/fungicide like Physan 20 fungicide. Not every time you water, but if I see a mold/mildew I'll put a little (1 TBsp per gallon) into the next watering cycle and cut back on the water. Cold + Moisture = mold. I've used that on house plants and african violets to disinfect when taking cuttings etc... I don't like to use it out in the yard but for seedlings in pots/trays etc... it can make a big difference.

• jitsmith
    9 years ago

This was my first yr WSing, thought everything was hunky dory, now I find out I did just about everything wrong and I'm finding white mold around roots when planting out.

I found a tip to use a coffee filter in the bottom of the milk jugs to prevent soil loss, and did. Also kept in shade, and didn't cut big enough ventilation and drain holes. Also used Fox Farm planting soil. Add to the misery, I'm a hovering overwater-er. Lucky more seeds didn't just give up and rot.

Some slow germination - larkspur, marigold, impatiens balasmina, Four O'Clocks - but all came up and now transplanted out except Balsam and 4 O's. Survived xplant shock, now they're getting a Spring snowstorm.

Telling myself it was all a learning experience, crossing my fingers and praying.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer