Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

82 degrees today

pippi21
12 years ago

I'm doing a happy dance because it was 82 degrees here today. Gosh, it felt so wonderful. I took the old pr. of scissors that I use for cutting my milk jugs for WS and make the air holes larger on most of the jugs, especially the one who have a lot of germination in them. The California Poppies, are really getting tall. I opened their jugs up and left them in the shade and let them get air, then taped the jugs back up. It is supposed to be in 60's all this week so I may go ahead and plant those two jugs out because they are really tall and crowded in their jugs. I also filled the cracked birdbath with potting mix and planted out portulaca seeds. They are so fine, I have no idea if they landed in the right place as you couldn't see them falling. I've read where some people suggest mixing tiny seeds with some sand..but you'd have to buy a big bag. don't think they come in small quanities. I was afraid to try sugar because of ants or bees. I watered the soil and wrapped the birdbath bowl with Glad Press&Seal and used HVAC tape to hold it down. It is supposed to get windy today and tomorrow have some rain showers. I hope I got the tape on in the right places. I punched air holes in the Press and Seal. I can hear the wind out there now. Guess I'll know if I did okay if the P&S is still on the birdbath bowl tomorrow morning when I get up or if it takes a ride in the neighborhood. While I know the night temperatures may not stay in 60's, and could drop to 40's, is that enough to sow some of the seedlings that are more hardy? I could always use the top of the milk jug like a cloch and cover the seedlings if it drops down lower. For the jugs that have HOS, why can't I start transplanting them into smaller containers/nursery pots? Some are getting pretty tall.

Comments (6)

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I'm on Zone 6b, our nurseries have some of their perennials, and roses out for sale. We are still dropping in the high 30's at night.

Sounds like your ready-to-go!

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

We had 79 yesterday I was very happy too.
    Then today ka-boom- started out light rain and very warm, and dropped. Right now - "they say" it is 44 degrees, feels colder to me - windy, and tonight is forecast 36.

I'm not worried about any sprouts, I just covered the (store-bought) lavendar plant. (It would probably be ok too.)

Ahhh...will winter never loose its grip?!

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boy, what a difference a few days makes. It's rained here all day and is miserable; down to 41 degrees. Yikes! Where is Spring?

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Spring has arrived but I couldn't begin to tell you where it arrived besides on the calendar. We're still in the 20's at night and it struggles to reach 50 even on sunny days. I'm still bundling up in layers of polar fleece whenever I step out the door. I can't say I had many more jugs sprouted at this time last year over this year but it definitely was warmer--according to my 2010 WS log, we hit 97 last April 7. Last weekend I got my butterfly bed cleared of oak leaves & winter debris--wearing my fleece-lined rain slicker & working in the freezing rain! Who says gardeners aren't tough?! I knew things had to be pushing up through the ground under the thick blanket of leaves and I only had a short window of time to get the job done. Today's forecast does say we'll hit 60 but it was 27 when I checked at 5:30 a.m.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Warm weekend here, too- in the 70s today and 80s tomorrow, then we return to more normal temps after storms on Monday. Spring.

We've gotten into the 70s the past few days and my jugs are getting dry. I gave them a sip yesterday with a sprinkling can. Today I'm going to get out my big tub and bottom water everything.

Check your jugs- the warmth might be drying them out. And definitely time to open them or at least add more vents if your temps are getting up there.

Karen

• tempusflits
    12 years ago

I've opened several of my jugs. We're to get into the 80s today. Had rain last night. The little dears got their first drink of rain water. They don't look unhappy and are, in fact, very green.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner