Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katy_bug_gw

WS year 2, what's coming up

KH 888
10 years ago

I am excited about my new sprouts but I also wanted to talk about the perineal flowered that are coming back.

I have salvia, Shasta daisies, cone flowers, golden marguerite, dianthus and many more that I won't be able to identify until they bloom. Even my nicotinia is coming back and I assumed it would be annual. Yay!

Comments (9)

• PVick
    10 years ago

Way to go, katy! Fun, isn't it?

PV

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

Congratulations,
    I predict you're probably on yr way to becoming addicted. :)

• northforker
    10 years ago

There's nothing like seeing your WS babies come back as teenagers the next year! And when you have so much plant material out there (becaue it is so easy to WS it) you will find "reseeding" happens a lot from annuals and bi-annuals and even perennials. So that's probably what happened with your nicotiana. Enjoy it! If your doing it again this year, by year 3 you will be crying you have run out of room (but not enthusiasm for WSing, so you'll just keep cramming more in!)

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

I am excited about seeing foxglove and lupine bloom this year. I wintersowed them last year (2011-12--my first year wintersowing) and they grew nicely. But no blooms. Here's a picture of one of the foxglove. This is fun and addicting!.

This post was edited by gumneck on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 21:49

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Nice! I have the Excelsior Foxgloves, they look like they need another season to bloom. I have some coreopsis, and columbine, Yarrow and one plant I don't recognize. I will wait until it flowers.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Katy, you will probably get blooms on the perennials you listed. Some may only be a few but even so it's very exciting to see the first blooms.

Iam excited about some plants this year too. Many Echinacea seedlings from the past 2 WS seasons that will bloom, as well as Ech. seedlings that have reseeded in the gardens. Also some Baptisia leucantha (white Baptisia) that I ws'd in 2008 (!) and may bloom this year for 1st time! Part of the reason it took so long is because it sat in pots for 2 years while I tried to decide where to plant it. Also have some daylily seedlings from the seed exchange (poster named Jeanne) that were sown in spring 2011 and will hopefully put out a their first blooms this year.

Gumneck, isn't Foxglove beautiful? Last year I had a banner year, this year will be almost a total bust with these. Most of the plants died of crown rot over the winter! They seem to need good drainage and can't be smothered by mulch.

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

These are the first time I have grown foxglove, so I am happy to see so many. I have them in several places in my yard/garden. Here is another photo, also with a money plant and blue lupine that were winter sown last year and are blooming for the first time this year. The red flower is centranthus ruber, purchased as a plant last year or the year before. I bought some seeds of it and wintersowed some plants this year. I have lots of seedlings.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Beautiful combo! Red white and blue (kind of). :)

I have WS Centranthus ruber for several years. The first year it sprouted great, but then the sprouts died. Couldn't figure out why they perished? Lo and behold, I had forgotten to put drainage holes in the bottom and they were water logged!

Next year I got a couple nice seedlings, one of which was eaten by the voles (they like C. ruber) and the other finally bloomed great last year. I also got a couple more seedlings last year. They should bloom a little this year. Then they really "leap" in the 3rd season.

Decided I loved it so much I sowed some more this year too! Got a container full of little sprouts.

PS Nan is right on with the "reseeding" aspect. I've got assorted seedlings that pop up every where now. It's so much fun to hunt for seedlings! I expect the Centranthus ruber will probably sow itself from this point on.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Congrats, Katy. I know the feeling well -- my first ws lupine bloomed last year and I was thrilled. I'm still waiting on that this year as well as asclepias incarnata and sweet william sowed and planted out last year.

My delphinium overwintered in a pot so I don't expect it to bloom this year, especially since something chomped off all but a few leaves right after I put it in the ground. The same critter ate three of my five bishop's lace, so I suspect the resident rabbit, which ate all my bishop's lace last year. Need to get a have-a-heart trap and relocate him. :)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?