13 years ago

Lamb's Ear

more Swiss Chard

Larkspur, tall blue

What did you plant out today?

Comments (10)

• pippi21
    13 years ago

A row boat! It's rained all day and last I checked, we had 1 in.of rain in raingage.

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Nothing, 32 degree at noon with light snow on the ground and windy. Glad I got the beds cleared off earlier this week when temps were in the 60s.

Also, no sprouts in any of my ws containers, yet.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I need to plant out:

wild chicory
    verbena bonaries (spelling?)
    yellow scabiosa
    bachelors buttons
    money wort
    alpine strawberry
    mexican tea
    more soapwort
    cluster head dianthus
    black berry lilly
    jacob's ladder
    delphinium blue boy
    larkspur giant imperial
    orlaya grandiflora
    bronze fennel
    dill

This night shift has me so twisted on my sleeping that I am not sure what is up or down anymore. Blah I have been one lazy cookie when it comes to gardening!! I did go fishing though, LOL!!

• bev2009
    13 years ago

I haven't planted out anything as it is too cold and windy here and my sprouts are still too tiny, but very cute:)

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I'm still doing clean-up from last fall. And hoeing out thousands and thousands of volunteers. I worked for about 5 hours again today and I'm still not done.

Karen

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I'm transplanting into different containers. I am also weeding and making a new bed.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I was doing great and right on track until I had a fall and pulled a muscle in my chest. Haven't been able to use my arms for about 2 weeks. Perfect timing, the busiest month of the gardening season. [g] But DH planted out tiny little seedlings on the 8th of April which are doing okay so far...

Bok Choy
    Romaine Lettuce
    Red Velvet Lettuce
    Broccoli
    Spinach

I'm hoping I can pick up speed soon. Felt a little improvement yesterday. DH spent three hours cleaning out the perennial beds yesterday. Almost done with that. Have lots of sprouts to get in the ground.

It's a pleasure to hear that you're gardening again, drippy, after all the moving around you've done the past couple of years. :-)

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I have a few jugs ready to plant out, I just can't seem to finish last fall's clean up and prepping the beds (like getting rid of the thousands of volunteers). I have a jug of calendula where the seedlings are huge.

I'm still fighting the larkspur volunteers, and I haven't grown them since 2009. Though I removed them once this year I had to repeat the process yesterday, and it's getting tiresome. I have resisted the urge to use Preen, and have kept it organic so far, but my resolve is fading. Larkspur, ruds, Laura Bush petunias, cosmos are all a big problem. I haven't found any verbena bonariensis yet this year so that's something. I've been fighting those for 3 or 4 years. Mostly, though, I'm just hoeing the entire surface of beds indiscriminately without thought of what those seedlings might be. Lots of rain lately so yesterday was a great day for easy digging, hoeing, yanking, and transplanting. The soil was perfect.

I ordered 5 perennials from Santa Rosa Gardens and got them a couple of weeks ago. At least I did stick those in the ground yesterday, so I consider that a start.

Karen

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ouch, Prairie! Isn't that always the way? Finally get your schedule cleared out to get some gardening in, and bam! But having DH pitch in is a blessing - you'll be eating that lettuce before you know it. I harvested a bagful of All-Seasons Romaine and New Red Fire - at the baby stage - the other day. I looked at thinking, ".75 worth of seeds (I didn't use all of both packs), this lettuce costs 2.99 in the grocery store, and I'm going to get at least a few more bags out of this crop".

Karen, one man's weed...I laughed reading your post, thinking how great it would be to have those volunteers in my yard. Hope you can get what you want in there soon enough.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Karen, good for you, to keep trying to remain organic. I hope you can get on the other side of volunteers that you don't want. I keep trying to avoid self sowers unless I really love them and don't care how many I end up with. One is viola odorata, which I look forward to the fragrance every year. I pulled out all my cosmos one year but last year I missed them so I winter sowed them this year again. [g] I don't mind self sowers that are easy to pull out, I have one perennial that gets worse the more I pull it, which I am frustrated to no end with.

Yes, drippy, we are well acquainted with the 'Bam' phenomena. [g] Yes, a BIG blessing that DH will pick up the slack to keep us on track. I don't know what I'd do without him. .... There is a difference in the zone 7 where you are now to where you used to be in MA, I see. It's been a really cool spring here this year. I have sprouts but they are really tiny and not doing much because of the cool temps. I imagine we'll be heading right into summer heat soon. Hope to get some cool season crops before then. Produce has gotten really expensive now. I'm planning double the vegetable plants then usual. ....Marathon Monday here today. :-)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!