Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just1morehosta

Help with sunflowers

just1morehosta
14 years ago

I have never planted sunflowers before,and would like to this year.

I am in zone 5, Illinois.

Are they easy to grow?

Should I WS them? or Direct sow?

Can I plant a taller one in the back, with a shorter one in front,i have seen pictures of Teddy Bear,will this attract birds?

Any suggestions you can give to me?

I put in a new flower bed today, I will post pictures tomorrow to show you what we did., nice! :0)

cAROL

Comments (10)

• token28001
    14 years ago

I grew only Mammoths last year. I sowed them in 9oz cups about the first of April. They germinate quickly and are a lot like tomatoes. They can't handle any frost, so you may want to wait a bit more. When they start growing, they take off quickly. I dig a deep hole and plant them with just the top leaves showing. This helps them form more roots along the stems, just like tomatoes. The taller ones need the support more than the short, multiheaded varieties.

I'll be sowing mine tomorrow using this same method again. I have a nice variety this year including some red ones.

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you token,
    I will look for several different kinds this week.
    I think I may like the shorter ones.
    cAROL

• lisa33
    14 years ago

I WS sunflowers this year before I figured out that some things should actually be spring sown. I had a bunch of sprouts that quickly outgrew their containers. So, I actually planted some out very early. Last weekend they survived (with flying colors) 26 degree temps two days in a row. Since they do sprout so quickly, I wouldn't hesitate to start some early. My two cents. I am growing some "Evening Sun", "Mammoth", "Teddy Bear" and "Dwarf Sunspot." All of the sprouts haven't been bothered by the freezing temps for a few nights--to my surprise. You could also consider using 2 liter soda bottles as cloches.

• token28001
    14 years ago

I didn't sow mine today. I'm still waffling back and forth between direct planting and sowing in containers. I've got more squirrels this year than ever and they're doing some major damage to the gardens.

• silverkelt
    14 years ago

Ive seen them handle some light frost.. anything hard and they are gone.. I sow them around now, I just plant them near may 1st.. thats not my last frost date, but I usually do not recieve anything too heavy, but if you do, just cover it , anything will do, sheets, a few pieces of newspaper, or save your top of the milk jugs and cover with that.

Just keep the frost off, they can handle cooler temps fine...

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lots of good advice here,thank you,I think I will sow them in soda bottles,now,I can always bring theminto the garage if it gets to cool at night,we have had some really beautiful weather this week,60-70-and 80.
    I have lots of sprouts, finally,:0)
    I sowed some Delphiniumes two weeks ago,kept them in the garage, with a cardboard on top, I read they needed dark and cool to germinate, looked at them today, and yeaaaaaaaaaa,a few sprouts, I was so surprised,I though they needed cold strat., but it has been to warm, so I guess not.
    I am still waiting for my Ech.nothing yet.
    Tomorrow, I will sow my sunflowers,after I make a mad dash to Home Depot to get them,I just LOVE,Home Depot, gon't you guys.
    cAROL

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, this is what I boughtoday.
    Mexican sunflowers
    Sunflower chianti Hybrid
    Sunflower Autumn Beauty
    Sunflowewr Summer Cutting mix
    and
    Sunflower Evening Sun mix.
    I am totally excited.I hope they all look as pretty as the pictures.

One thing I did notice in the seed packs,
    Burpee seed was $1.50, I could feel the seed in the pack, there were 6.
    The others had way more in them.
    Happy planting every one.And thanks again for the help.
    cAROL

• conniesc
    14 years ago

Carol, I love sunflowers, especially dwarf so I have extra'a of these: junior, bashful, teddy bear. If you want some for a sase let me know.

• just1morehosta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Connie, sending you an e mail,:0)
    cAROL

• terrene
    14 years ago

The Tithonia - mexican sunflower - will not handle any frost at all. The Mammoth and Black oil sunflower handle a light frost okay. They are also very easy to direct sow and sometimes reseed themselves. Cutworms, slugs and critters like sunflowers - so sometimes I protect them with cups.

2 years ago my mammoth sunflowers grew in the middle of a perennial bed and they were HUGE (10-11 feet). I wasn't thinking, they were towering over the perennials. Now I grow them in a "tall bed". The birds, squirrels, and chipmunks love the seeds!

Sponsored