Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Doin' the dance! YEEHAW!

tiffy_z5_6_can
11 years ago

I wasn't paying attention to the germination, and after cleaning out one garden tonight I decided to move my containers to a shadier spot since I will be leaving for a week soon. I spotted some green and did a double take. I told my dog it was probably Sweet William and did the Happy Dance when my eyeball met the entrance of that 2 liter pop bottle. Raven, my 85 pound Black Lab started jumping and dancing with me. What a scene for my new neighbours!

Germinating are:
Siberian Wallflower
Sweet William
Coreopsis Roulette
Red Geum
Madia Elegans
California Poppies
Calendula Pink Surprise
and Red Lupine (yes, Wendy, I saved some from you three years ago :O)

This is like riding a bicycle. Now I'm waiting to see what will happen with the container in which I sowed Blue Poppies and Foxgloves together by mistake. This could be cute!

Oh, and FYI, and completely off topic, I rode a bicycle for the first time in 30 years last week. 'Twas fun!

Comments (13)

• PVick
    11 years ago

Congrats, tiffy!

Oh, lord, I can't get the picture of you and Raven hopping around out of my head! LOL!

PV

P.S. I never learned how to ride a bike. Pity!

• terrene
    11 years ago

Congrats Tiffy! Sprouts are always exciting! That's cute your dog was excited too.

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

Congrats, Tiffy. Isn't it wonderful to dance. Our weather here in Ottawa has been so unpredictable...the storm last Friday put a white blanket on everything. I have been watching my containers but nothing is showing. I could not get promix this year, so I bought something from Shultz from Canadian Tire and it seems to dry out very quickly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• ellenrr
    11 years ago

congratulations Tiffy.

I planted Lavendar a while ago, and nothing happened, so I planted again. lol
    Now both plantings (in the same container) have come up. well,,,you can't have too much Lavendar.

• drippy
    11 years ago

Hooray, Tiffy! So glad you are back in the game - have a good time wherever you're going, and rest up those hands so you can get them in the dirt when you come back!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! It does feel good to be back in the game Drippy.

Ellen, you will enjoy the lavender. I remember winter sowing some white lavender my first year. I'll have to try to find seeds of it again.

Northerner, We actually had snow on the weekend too but it all disappeared. Still cold though and that's why I was surprised to find so many sprouts. Your sprouts will come soon I'm sure.

Pvick and Terrene, Raven is my gardening buddy. She loves this place I am renting and everyday she gardens by finding sticks which she gently buries here and there under the trees and such. I've always imagined that she's planting the sticks/branches so that more trees will grow and she will have an endless supply of sticks for me to throw. :O) Smart dog!!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Congratulations Tiffy, Raven sounds like a great pal!

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I'm jealous. I have nearly 60 milk jugs and not a single sprout. And snow is forecast for the weekend. I 'm not worried in the least, but I would like to have a little bit of a head start on blooms this summer. I promised my sister-in-law some snapdragon seedlings, and even those haven't sprouted yet. I'm happy for you all, and I know mine will pop eventually. Happy sowing.

Martha

• ponyexpress_1
    11 years ago

tiffy, Glad you are getting sprouts. I planted blue poppy too!. I also put some seeds in moist soil in the fridge and planted them indoors. I just got sprouts indoors, but none yet outdoors. I'm hoping they do sprout outside so they are stronger. The trick now is to find the right spot to plant them. I hear they can be tricky. Good luck!

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

I'm getting lots of sprouts here. Pretty excited for a lot of them. This is the first time Spearmint has germinated for me. I just hope my Spicebush seeds I got in a trade germinate (they were planted a few weeks ago). My one container of Milkweed seedlings are really taking off. I'm wondering how close it is until we start planting HOS?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• terrene
    11 years ago

Docmom, the poor gardeners from the states of MI, MN and WI seem to be having a really late Spring! Yuck!

Tiffy, I think you're the only one I've ever heard of that actually has gotten the Meconopsis to bloom.

• vera_eastern_wa
    11 years ago

Congrats Tiffy!!

That must have been some sight for the neighbors LOL!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So nice to hear from old and new friends. :O)

Ponyexpress, I found the key to the 'right spot' for Blue Poppies is morning sun with dappled shade after 11:30 am, cool humous rich soil mulched with shredded leaves. Mine were next to an underground source of cold water which surfaced about 6 feet from the poppies. They were on the south side of the property, but faced north. I understand that they are still thriving after 6 years and am now planning for my new gardens. Excited!

Brad, I just might start transplanting HOS this weekend. My California Poppies are bursting at the seams!!

Sponsored