Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

First Spouts!

vera_eastern_wa
10 years ago

Well ya'll I've moved again....only not so far.....just up the road about 100ft! Am planning to move all my wintersown plants from that 2 year old garden and start over....AGAIN! LOL Didn't wintersow so much this year as most of my annuals I have started indoors this year.....a lesson learned. Our high elevation mountain climate and very late springs are just not enough time. By the time they start flowering frost is right around the corner. Plus I will need to expand the current beds that are already here to satisfy my obsession LOL!!
This is what wintersown seeds have sprouted so far:
Anise Hyssop
Lychnis coronaria 'Angel's Blush'
Sunflower.....these seedlings survive temps as low as 17F in the ground w/out protection in my experience!!
Shasta Daisy

Happy sowing:)

PS....Nice to see activity is picking up in the WS forum again :)

Vera

Comments (8)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Congrats on the sprouts and the move, not so much on starting over on the gardens. :)

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

Your post made me go out and check my jugs. Wasn't expecting anything since I didn't sow till March 22, but I have a few lettuce sprouts coming through. That combined with temps in the 50s has me thinking maybe our miserable, long, long winter is finally over.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I'm trying to think what a 100' move would involve, and I'm picturing myself with my garden wagon making a whole lot of trips with dishes, boxes ;)

I have some things germinating and am especially glad to see the iris chrysographes seedlings coming up spikey and strong.

At the same time I'm dismayed at how much false lily of the valley is still here, I'd hoped I'd made more of a dent in it last year. Back to my shovel, I'm not going to let it win...

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Congratulations Vera!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    10 years ago

Happy Sprouting Vera!!

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoo Woo!! Reminds me.....time to get going on sowing my lettuces caryltoo! Congrats! I have a raised bed along the deck and I'm just planning on direct sowing several of those, radish and mesclun mix. Can be covered with poly if need be. Think I'll do that today...hmmm! By the way.....my first sprouts this year so far have been pretty quick from sowing to germination too. Hope the trend keeps up :)
    My latest wintersown sprouts were:

Asclepias tuberosa

Yes....I do look a little nutty running back and forth with my shovel and 6-wheeler LOL!
    We moved a new elderly tenant (we be the new managers) into the old place on the 6th and she is thrilled to have gardens. I am leaving quite a few of the perennials and am filling in with annuals/veggies. I told her she wouldn't have to do anything but sit and enjoy as I will keep everything up for her :) Matter of fact I'll be filling up this whole RV/Mobile park with beauty....just give me time LOL!!

So far I've only taken my Hibiscus moscheutos, Penstemon "Husker's Red', and bits and pieces of various sedums, Hen's and Chicks and cuttings from the Hyssopus officianlis, I replaced some of the holes with Maltese Cross (taken from other parts of the beds), and Hollyhocks moved from up here. The only other stuff I'm taking are my 2 Rugosa Roses, and a few clumps of Creeping Thyme. I'll be leaving last years w'sown Lavender, Butterfly Weed, Echinacea, etc. Not like I won't be able to enjoy it or anything LOL!!!

I sowed more annuals and perennials (wintersow style) over the last few days too:
    Marigold "Harlequin"
    Nicotiana alata (white)
    Giant Stock Mix
    African Daisy (Dimemorphotheca)
    Sunflower (several more 4 packs)
    Lavatera (annual white)
    Sweet William 'Sooty' ( several 4 packs)
    Chinese Forget-me-not
    Impatiens balsamina mix
    Maximillian Sunflower

Indoors I have:
    Four O'clocks
    Marigold
    South African Foxglove
    Zinnia 'Profusion Cherry'
    Moon Flower
    Datura wrightii
    Lavender 'Munstead' or 'Vera'. Not sure which plants these were harvested from in my eastern wa garden. No matter. I've got 12 potted up seedlings YEAH!!

Several years I've tried w'sowing Moon Flower vines and BIG FAT fail everytime! Sowing indoors I had no expectations either, but boy was I surprised. Now the are already covered in flower buds. Hope they will transfer okay?

Yeah....I'm getting windy....but I missed you all :)

Happy growing

Vera

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoo Woo!! Reminds me.....time to get going on sowing my lettuces caryltoo! Congrats! I have a raised bed along the deck and I'm just planning on direct sowing several of those, radish and mesclun mix. Can be covered with poly if need be. Think I'll do that today...hmmm! By the way.....my first sprouts this year so far have been pretty quick from sowing to germination too. Hope the trend keeps up :)
    My latest wintersown sprouts were:

Asclepias tuberosa

Yes....I do look a little nutty running back and forth with my shovel and 6-wheeler LOL!
    We moved a new elderly tenant (we be the new managers) into the old place on the 6th and she is thrilled to have gardens. I am leaving quite a few of the perennials and am filling in with annuals/veggies. I told her she wouldn't have to do anything but sit and enjoy as I will keep everything up for her :) Matter of fact I'll be filling up this whole RV/Mobile park with beauty....just give me time LOL!!

So far I've only taken my Hibiscus moscheutos, Penstemon "Husker's Red', and bits and pieces of various sedums, Hen's and Chicks and cuttings from the Hyssopus officianlis, I replaced some of the holes with Maltese Cross (taken from other parts of the beds), and Hollyhocks moved from up here. The only other stuff I'm taking are my 2 Rugosa Roses, and a few clumps of Creeping Thyme. I'll be leaving last years w'sown Lavender, Butterfly Weed, Echinacea, etc. Not like I won't be able to enjoy it or anything LOL!!!

I sowed more annuals and perennials (wintersow style) over the last few days too:
    Marigold "Harlequin"
    Nicotiana alata (white)
    Giant Stock Mix
    African Daisy (Dimemorphotheca)
    Sunflower (several more 4 packs)
    Lavatera (annual white)
    Sweet William 'Sooty' ( several 4 packs)
    Chinese Forget-me-not
    Impatiens balsamina mix
    Maximillian Sunflower

Indoors I have:
    Four O'clocks
    Marigold
    South African Foxglove
    Zinnia 'Profusion Cherry'
    Moon Flower
    Datura wrightii
    Lavender 'Munstead' or 'Vera'. Not sure which plants these were harvested from in my eastern wa garden. No matter. I've got 12 potted up seedlings YEAH!!

Several years I've tried w'sowing Moon Flower vines and BIG FAT fail everytime! Sowing indoors I had no expectations either, but boy was I surprised. Now the are already covered in flower buds. Hope they will transfer okay?

Yeah....I'm getting windy....but I missed you all :)

Happy growing

Vera

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Didn't mean to double post....sorry!!! Internet was stalling so didn't think the 1st one posted :(

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County