Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Spouts!

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5a-5b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 21:23

Well ya'll I've moved again....only not so far.....just up the road about 100ft! Am planning to move all my wintersown plants from that 2 year old garden and start over....AGAIN! LOL Didn't wintersow so much this year as most of my annuals I have started indoors this year.....a lesson learned. Our high elevation mountain climate and very late springs are just not enough time. By the time they start flowering frost is right around the corner. Plus I will need to expand the current beds that are already here to satisfy my obsession LOL!!
This is what wintersown seeds have sprouted so far:
Anise Hyssop
Lychnis coronaria 'Angel's Blush'
Sunflower.....these seedlings survive temps as low as 17F in the ground w/out protection in my experience!!
Shasta Daisy

Happy sowing:)

PS....Nice to see activity is picking up in the WS forum again :)

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Spouts!

Congrats on the sprouts and the move, not so much on starting over on the gardens. :)

o

Your post made me go out and check my jugs. Wasn't expecting anything since I didn't sow till March 22, but I have a few lettuce sprouts coming through. That combined with temps in the 50s has me thinking maybe our miserable, long, long winter is finally over.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 21:12

I'm trying to think what a 100' move would involve, and I'm picturing myself with my garden wagon making a whole lot of trips with dishes, boxes ;)

I have some things germinating and am especially glad to see the iris chrysographes seedlings coming up spikey and strong.

At the same time I'm dismayed at how much false lily of the valley is still here, I'd hoped I'd made more of a dent in it last year. Back to my shovel, I'm not going to let it win...

o

Congratulations Vera!

o

Happy Sprouting Vera!!

o

Hoo Woo!! Reminds me.....time to get going on sowing my lettuces caryltoo! Congrats! I have a raised bed along the deck and I'm just planning on direct sowing several of those, radish and mesclun mix. Can be covered with poly if need be. Think I'll do that today...hmmm! By the way.....my first sprouts this year so far have been pretty quick from sowing to germination too. Hope the trend keeps up :)
My latest wintersown sprouts were:

Asclepias tuberosa

Yes....I do look a little nutty running back and forth with my shovel and 6-wheeler LOL!
We moved a new elderly tenant (we be the new managers) into the old place on the 6th and she is thrilled to have gardens. I am leaving quite a few of the perennials and am filling in with annuals/veggies. I told her she wouldn't have to do anything but sit and enjoy as I will keep everything up for her :) Matter of fact I'll be filling up this whole RV/Mobile park with beauty....just give me time LOL!!

So far I've only taken my Hibiscus moscheutos, Penstemon "Husker's Red', and bits and pieces of various sedums, Hen's and Chicks and cuttings from the Hyssopus officianlis, I replaced some of the holes with Maltese Cross (taken from other parts of the beds), and Hollyhocks moved from up here. The only other stuff I'm taking are my 2 Rugosa Roses, and a few clumps of Creeping Thyme. I'll be leaving last years w'sown Lavender, Butterfly Weed, Echinacea, etc. Not like I won't be able to enjoy it or anything LOL!!!

I sowed more annuals and perennials (wintersow style) over the last few days too:
Marigold "Harlequin"
Nicotiana alata (white)
Giant Stock Mix
African Daisy (Dimemorphotheca)
Sunflower (several more 4 packs)
Lavatera (annual white)
Sweet William 'Sooty' ( several 4 packs)
Chinese Forget-me-not
Impatiens balsamina mix
Maximillian Sunflower

Indoors I have:
Four O'clocks
Marigold
South African Foxglove
Zinnia 'Profusion Cherry'
Moon Flower
Datura wrightii
Lavender 'Munstead' or 'Vera'. Not sure which plants these were harvested from in my eastern wa garden. No matter. I've got 12 potted up seedlings YEAH!!

Several years I've tried w'sowing Moon Flower vines and BIG FAT fail everytime! Sowing indoors I had no expectations either, but boy was I surprised. Now the are already covered in flower buds. Hope they will transfer okay?

Yeah....I'm getting windy....but I missed you all :)

Happy growing

Vera

o

Hoo Woo!! Reminds me.....time to get going on sowing my lettuces caryltoo! Congrats! I have a raised bed along the deck and I'm just planning on direct sowing several of those, radish and mesclun mix. Can be covered with poly if need be. Think I'll do that today...hmmm! By the way.....my first sprouts this year so far have been pretty quick from sowing to germination too. Hope the trend keeps up :)
My latest wintersown sprouts were:

Asclepias tuberosa

Yes....I do look a little nutty running back and forth with my shovel and 6-wheeler LOL!
We moved a new elderly tenant (we be the new managers) into the old place on the 6th and she is thrilled to have gardens. I am leaving quite a few of the perennials and am filling in with annuals/veggies. I told her she wouldn't have to do anything but sit and enjoy as I will keep everything up for her :) Matter of fact I'll be filling up this whole RV/Mobile park with beauty....just give me time LOL!!

So far I've only taken my Hibiscus moscheutos, Penstemon "Husker's Red', and bits and pieces of various sedums, Hen's and Chicks and cuttings from the Hyssopus officianlis, I replaced some of the holes with Maltese Cross (taken from other parts of the beds), and Hollyhocks moved from up here. The only other stuff I'm taking are my 2 Rugosa Roses, and a few clumps of Creeping Thyme. I'll be leaving last years w'sown Lavender, Butterfly Weed, Echinacea, etc. Not like I won't be able to enjoy it or anything LOL!!!

I sowed more annuals and perennials (wintersow style) over the last few days too:
Marigold "Harlequin"
Nicotiana alata (white)
Giant Stock Mix
African Daisy (Dimemorphotheca)
Sunflower (several more 4 packs)
Lavatera (annual white)
Sweet William 'Sooty' ( several 4 packs)
Chinese Forget-me-not
Impatiens balsamina mix
Maximillian Sunflower

Indoors I have:
Four O'clocks
Marigold
South African Foxglove
Zinnia 'Profusion Cherry'
Moon Flower
Datura wrightii
Lavender 'Munstead' or 'Vera'. Not sure which plants these were harvested from in my eastern wa garden. No matter. I've got 12 potted up seedlings YEAH!!

Several years I've tried w'sowing Moon Flower vines and BIG FAT fail everytime! Sowing indoors I had no expectations either, but boy was I surprised. Now the are already covered in flower buds. Hope they will transfer okay?

Yeah....I'm getting windy....but I missed you all :)

Happy growing

Vera

o

Didn't mean to double post....sorry!!! Internet was stalling so didn't think the 1st one posted :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here