Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So happy!

Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 21:31

I have for a quite a few years now tried to grow bleeding hears. Plain old pretty bleeding hearts, Dicentra spectabilis. Well, for all the unusual things I grow, and how supposedly easy to grow they are, I can't keep them alive!
Well a couple years ago I got 6 seeds of Dicentra formosa from a GWer. It not as showy as regular bleeding hearts, but pretty none the less. I WSed them and a couple germinated for me. They were very small when I planted them, and I forgot about it. Well, today, I see one out in the garden with buds formed!!
Remy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So happy!

congrats!!

o

Cool. Congrats. And good to see you, Remy.

Karen

o

congratulations Remy! I saved seed from a white Bleeding Heart and much to my pleasure I have sprouts!! I was thrilled when I peeked in the jug and saw them, let's see if they thrive.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 10:10

Remy, congratulations! Your D. formosa is native to here, I hope you enjoy it, and that your blooms give you some nice fat seed pods - it's more generous in producing ripe seed than spectabilis :)

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 10:12

THanks Duane!
Karen,
Thanks. I don't get over here too often during the winter now that winter is my busy time.

DaisyDawn,
Very cool! Well, my babies were pretty small when I planted them out. I had transplanted them to small pots from the WSing container. I kept them in the pots for quite awhile it I remember correctly. Some perennials seem to stay quite dinky their first year, and it always makes me nervous that they won't make it, but most often they do :)
Remy

o
RE: So happy!!

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 10:13

Morz8,
Very good to know!
Remy

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 11:58

Never tried that. Will do so now. Excellent work remy!

Can you ever have too many bleeding hearts? The answer is NO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here