Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gratefulgardener3300

What do tomato sprouts look like?

Can anyone post a pic please? My container looks like it has a bunch of weeds.

Comments (13)

• strouper2
    15 years ago

I would guess that they probably are weeds because tomato plants sprout much later because they need the ground to be warm for a fairly long period of time before they come up. I always find the easiest way to identify tomatoes is by the smell just give the leaf a little rub and see what it smells like if it's a tomato plant then you'll know it.

Strouper

• agirlsgirl
    15 years ago

Also they have long slender starter leaves,reminiscent of Marigolds to me.I agree the smell will let you know,yummy!

• moonphase
    15 years ago

I have tomato sprouts.I will snap some photos tomorrow and post for you.
    moonphase

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

They don't necessarily come later. Last year mine were all germinating on 4/8, 4/16 and 4/20 and I lost quite a few too when freezing temps came for a few nights:(
    But it's true if you lightly rub your hand across you'll know if they be toms or not LOL!

Vera

• tosser
    15 years ago

I've got 2-inch-high tomato volunteers already. I was taking stock of the out-of-control German chamomile seedlings yesterday when I noticed them. They're popping up in a bed where I had 3 'Delicious' last year and I have to admit - I was really surprised!

• recluse
    15 years ago

I've never noticed that tomato-plant-scent from a seedling/sprout, just from the larger plants. Of course, that doesn't mean it wasn't there, just that I didn't notice it.

The way I recognize a tom sprout is by the purplish stem. All tomato sprouts I've ever had, even volunteers from grocery store toms that were in my compost, have had that purple stem (and long thin cotys).

Sorry, I don't have a pic online to post.

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

{{gwi:382756}}

Here is a link that might be useful: More Pictures and Info

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Found a few pictures for you surfing.

Here is a nice series of pictures.

http://www.stanford.edu/~sommer/TomatoLife.html

like to transplant at this size to 6 packs

{{gwi:382757}}

ml

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:382755}}

• strouper2
    15 years ago

The "volunteer" tomato plants I had so many last year I started to call them tomato weeds! They were showing up in places that were fairly far away from where they were planted the year before. I was actually able to salvage a couple of them and move them to where I was growing my tomatoes.

Strouper

• mo_girl
    15 years ago

Strouper, I have a ton of Chadwick Cherry tomato volunteers ,about the size of the one in Trudi's picture,in my raised bed. I've been pulling them like I would weeds, because there's just so many. I imagine I'll save a couple and see if they turned out true to seed or cross-pollinated with some other tomato plant.

• gratefulgardener3300
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help.

• MLcom
    15 years ago

bumping this up for no other reason was looking when my sprouts hit. I strongly belive they sprout around 4/7 each year and a day apart from Trudi's,

One year I planted out the early ones like 3 weeks before my last frost date with alot of protection so today will do that again for a set of 12 figure it never hurts to have early tomatoes

Let the wave of green ride north on my tomato sprouts!

ML

• jrshurli
    14 years ago

Can anyone please help..it is our first time gardening and we have 12 heirloom tomato plants which are out of control and very overwhelming...does anyone have pictures of what a pruned tomato plant is suppose to look like? I have a picture of ours, but not sure how to post it on here...I think I might have butchered 2 tomato plants because I really pruned them yesterday, but there were sooo many little bugs flying around I couldn't stand it any more, and I just sprayed for bugs on Sunday...Please help! I am confused and overwhelmed!
    Thank you
    Jrshurli in AZ

talktojami@gmail.com

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus