Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

Alstroemeria - any success?

northforker
12 years ago

I've got 2 WS jugs of purchased Alstroemeria seeds that have not germinated. I just did a google search and this is what I found:

How to Plant ALSTROEMERIA Seeds

Sow seed in 3 inch pots, placing 3 seeds � inch deep. Put inside zip-lock bags and keep at 70� F. for 3 weeks. Then move bags into refrigerator for 3 weeks. Next, return to 70� F., germination begins in about 2 weeks. Transplant entire clump into the garden 12-18 inches apart

YIKES! I think I may have run into one of those "warm -cold-warm" germinators that I have heard others talk about and thought - -I could never keep track of all that!

Has anyone had luck with these? I love them in bouquets (purchased) cause they last and last. I thought growing my own might be easy...

Comments (8)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Nan, mine (began with purchased plant) have always self sown wildly with seeds ripe in about August here. Going by that, any I've sown - I've Fall sown so they do get the warm/cold/cool sequence and those would germinate.

Hang on to the pots, I think they'll germinate next late winter when they've been through the range of temps available again. I took out a big messy looking clump of alstroemeria in my back yard, it would begin to yellow, go late summer dormant and leave a big bare spot I wasn't happy with. I'm still finding seedlings in that spot and it's been about three years now.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

I haven't had any luck. Granted, the last few years I was still trying the original seed packet that I started with, lol, but I couldn't get the seed to germinate. I didn't try this year, but may buy some fresh seed and try again next year.

Good luck!
    Dee

• northforker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Mortz and for the "misery loves company" Dee! I will move the two jugs out of the production line and try to keep them someplace safe to check on them next spring!

Maybe I'll just buy a plant. I've only bought 4 small packs of pansys this year so far, so I am itching to purchse seomthing! It's pretty hard to justify after sowing 171 packets of seeds!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Buy a plant. You'll have instant access to fresh seeds to sow in late summer or early Fall, in a few years it will pay for itself :) & Look at the money you will save on cut flowers, + the hummingbirds will love you.

• northforker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Morz8, you are a great enabler! Adding the "good for the earth" humming bird factor just adds a sparkler on the top of the cake!

I am eyeing a way too expensive purchase of the perfect handbag for traveling this coming summer...don't suppose you can enable that too!!!

I've only seen the alstromeria as cut flowers around here (very popular at supermarkets actually - cheap) but I am going to look for a few plants.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

Nan, just be careful once you do get a plant, however you get it. I've heard these can be quite aggressive. Not sure if they are all like that, but do your homework first. My plan, had I had any success with WSing, was to keep them in a large pot on my brick patio next to the asphalt driveway, lol, just in case.

Dee

• northforker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Dee. If I get some plants, I will look for a spot where it can't be thug. I have quite enough of those!

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Nan, did you get these to sprout. I bought a pack of seeds from Swallowtail, I put them in the freezer for 4-weeks. Now they are at room temperature. I was trolling and found this post. I curious to know whether you got germination.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner