Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nicotiana Sylvestris

Posted by ohsillyme Z6 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 22:34

Hi All -
I wintersowed some Nicotiana Sylvestris - Woodland Tobacco, well over a month ago and have not had any germination yet. Anybody else sow this and have germination? Shall I start a fresh jug with the very few leftover seeds? Try starting indoors?

I also sowed Nicotiana Sensation last week and that is already up!

My wintersown larkspur arent up either but grateful the volunteers are showing up!

Anyone else having any luck? Or do I just need more patience?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nicotiana Sylvestris

Be patient! I've had N. sylvestris take months to germinate & as a self re-seeder in perennial beds, it's always been one of the last seedlings to appear in late spring.

That's just been my experience with it, so it'll be interesting to learn what others results have been!

o

I completely agree. Mine also self sow and I don't WS them at all. I start to notice them in the late summer/early fall.

o

My larkspur has germinated great in some containers and sparse in others. I've heard it's a finicky one so i'm happy to get ANY sprouts. I sowed them in february and they popped up slowly throughout march after that warm spell.

o

I Winter Sowed it too (first time for it), and have not had any sprouts with it yet. Good to know it takes a while to sprout.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I have Nicotiana Sylvestris that reseeds in my yard now, but I must have started it by WSing a few years ago, so don't give up hope - I know it can be done!It is a large plant, stunning I think, so worth it if you can get it going.

o

Thanks for the responses!! I will be patient,,,,twiddle twiddle,,,,glad i'm not alone,,,,twiddle twiddle,,,

o

This is my second year at WSing the Nicotiana, I got 2 sprouts out of 2 packs of seeds. The larkspur is growing like crazy, I sowed them earlier than my other containers. I think they like the extended germination time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here