Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

10 year old seed germinates!

highalttransplant
16 years ago

Last fall, I received a commercial packet of summer savory in a trade with a sell by date of '97. I WS the whole packet, since I figured I'd be lucky to get any germination, and today I have a sprout. Not sure how many I will end up with, but I am excited to see that the seed was still viable after all that time.

Now that I have germination, I need to find out how to use my summer savory. I've never seen it called for in any of my recipes, so I'm not sure what to do with it. It's an annual herb right?

What's the oldest seed YOU'VE ever had germinate?

Bonnie

Comments (9)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

WOW that is sooo cool!! i'd have to say thats the oldest i've ever heard of!! :'))

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

This year for me my oldest pepper seeds were the fastest and had 100% germination, but were sown indoors. They were for the 2003 season!

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer Savory

• terrene
    16 years ago

Last year I direct sowed some 'Scarlet Dahlia' Zinnias that are tall red single flowered, figured the Hummingbirds would like them (which they did). About half a dozen grew last year. I got out the packet to get ready to sow this year, and noticed that it was marked "Packed for 1991"! Yes, last year I grew seeds that were 16 years old!

On April 13th, I pulled out some old veggie seeds and decided to do a germination test of 3 types - Johnny's Select seeds hybrid Cucumbers 1998, Shepherds Beefsteak tomatoes 1997, and Shepherds Chile peppers 1997. I put 4 seeds of each in a plastic container on a wet paper towel and spritzed them every day.

As of today, 1 week later -

4 Cucumbers sprouted 100%
    2 Tomatoes sprouted 50%
    1 Chile pepper sprouted 25%

I think seeds last a lot longer than people think, if they're stored under good conditions!!

• tosser
    16 years ago

If I was only allowed to grow one herb for cooking, I'd be torn between basil and summer savory. You always hear savory called "the bean herb" (snap & dried) and it does go nicely with them.

For a super-quick salad/side veggie, drain & rinse a can of white beans or chickpeas. Toss with minced or dried summer savory, olive oil, 2-3 tablespoons of minced onion and a couple cloves of minced garlic. Crazy-easy and so, so good. I toss on quite a bit when I make hummus, too, instead of parsley.

Savory's also fantastic in split pea soup and great with tuna. I use it alot with pasta, cream soups, and in pretty much anything with cheese or eggs.

One of my favorite breakfasts is creamed eggs on toast:

Slice or chop hard-cooked eggs. Make a medium white sauce and season with minced summer savory, a bit of dry mustard, salt & pepper. Add eggs and serve over toast.

To me, it has a fresh, sweet, green taste with a faint peppery bite. Actually, I don't think there's anything I wouldn't put it in. Once you develop a taste for it, you've gotta have it!

Last year I grew some Red Wonder bell peppers from a commercial pack I bought in 1999, and several cukes (tiny picklers) from 2000.

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

Tosser....you've convinced me to try it now! It sounds delightful :D

16 year old seed! That is incredibly cool!

Vera

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

I use summer savory in my bread stuffing for turkey and chicken. It's a little more delicate than the usual commercial "poultry stuffing" spice.

• GawdinFever
    16 years ago

9 year-old seed for me! ;)

{{gwi:383424}}

Susanne

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    16 years ago

I love this thread! Aren't seeds a wonder of nature? I am now wanting to dig through my tons of seeds and see what I can find to try. And I must get some Savory seed too.
    Susanne your picture was gorgeous!
    Tina

• terrene
    16 years ago

Hmmmm...I never knew Savory was "the bean herb". Sounds yummy! I also have a packet of Shepherd's Seeds "Summer Savory", packed for 1997.

I'm getting such good germination in the "germination test" that I won't hesitate to use the older seeds. Going to wintersow some Savory too! As of today -

4 Cucumbers sprouted 100%
    3 Tomatoes sprouted 75%
    2 Chile peppers sprouted 50%

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living