Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Hunk O'Seedlings Anyone?

moonwolf_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Has anyone started on their HOS yet? I have quite a few annuals and perennials coming up. Sweet Peas, Milkweed, Spearmint, Thyme, Oregano, Chamomile, Strawflowers, Butterfly Weed, Sweet William, Shasta Daisy, and so much more!

I also have some Asarina (AKA Climbing Snapdragon) seeds I got from Swallowtail that I've been wondering if they do well when planted in jugs?

Brad AKA Moonwolf, who has the overwhelming urge to plant every available space imaginable

Comments (11)

• ellenrr
    11 years ago

I did HOS yesterday for Zinnia.
    I hope I didn't do it too soon, as zinnia is tender. Low temp last nite was 38 but where I garden it is very open and the wind means colder temp.

I broke them into hunks, and then divided the hunks further.

My others are too small to put out.

• ellenrr
    11 years ago

I wish I hadn't planted the zinnia in a straight line. boring.
    I'm going to move them about and intersperse with poppy. I will have a whole field of red.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ellenr, I hope your zinnias make it! That sounds very pretty to intersperse them with poppies :-).

I may have to do my Sweet Peas at least and maybe some perennials (milkweed, etc.). I have sprouts but none are just quite popping out of their containers yet.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

I don't have anything else ready to go. Poppies will be next, but they are still too small.
    Brad, do you have success WS'ing milkweed?
    I never had luck with that one.

• silverkelt
    10 years ago

Ive done my lettuce, spinach, bachelor buttons and annual poppies, (Ive noticed as soon as you see any significant growth on the annual poppies to plop them into the ground, they do not transplant well in the heat. at all. cooler nights are best.

I just finished sowing my tenders.. so obviously none of those are in the ground.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ellenr, Yes I have had great success WS'ing Milkweeds. They're among the first seeds I sow in December and January. I have some I sowed in February/March that haven't sprouted yet. I hope I didn't plant them too late.

silverkelt, I have annual poppies that are sprouting too. Maybe I'll plant those tomorrow.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

Thanks Brad, maybe they need cold?
    Could be when I sowed them, I sowed them too late.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Ellenrr,
    I've had mixed results wintersowing milkweeds. I certainly don't get the same results as with other plants, but I get enough germination to make it worthwhile. I usually get better results by letting them selfsow, but then I don't get to choose where they grow. Fortunately, I'm happy to let them grow where ever they want.

Marthe

• tempusflits
    10 years ago

I planted out my first hos today. They were chamomile and bachelor's buttons. I have lots of other plants up. but these two were the first up and had pushed the limits of their pots. Hope the cold wave doesn't do them in.

Cheers to all. Winter sowing is so much fun and I love reading everyone's posts about what they're growing and planting.

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Brad, if you have any milkseeds for trade? I can't get them to germinate?

• ellenrr
    10 years ago

tempus,
    I don't know about chamomile, but I'm sure BButtons will be fine. They are often the first things to sprout for me in the winter/early spring and don't seem to mind cold at all.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida