Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinlisa_gw

Plunk and Run Method of Planting out?!?!

erinlisa
12 years ago

Hello, I was active on this forum several years ago, but am back now in full effect!! I love you all! ANYHOOOO.....

I WS'd so many dang seeds that I am running out of time to get them in the ground! Have any of you had success with the "Plunk and Run" method. As in, putting the whole clumps of seedlings in the ground and hoping for the best? I mean, in the wild, a plant might drop a ton of seeds directly underneath it, and the strong will survive, right? RIGHT?!?!?! PLEASE tell me I am right! LOL! All advice will be welcomed. I just need to get done with the "pot ghetto" of 2 liter coke bottle bottoms in my yard before the neighbor says anything else to me!

Comments (14)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

I have done it for years. Just plunk and run. Let the sprouts sort it out.

I can't tell you how many spots in my garden are milk jug shaped.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I've done it too. Depends on how many sprouts are in the jug. If it looks like a chia pet I've generally divide into at least quarters and plant 4 separate hunks.

Karen

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

Yes, pack them in..

I dont bother seperating anything , unless as karen said, its to divide into quarters if its very heavy.

Frankly, when you pack them in tight they generally look nicer , if you try to seperate each seedling.. ug, it makes it look thin, and is way too time consuming.

Once the plant matures those sprouts that cant keep up with die off anyways.

Some clump method plants

{{gwi:384057}}

{{gwi:384059}}

{{gwi:374542}}

{{gwi:384060}}

{{gwi:384061}}

Not even sure these are my best examples I just plunked them and ran =P

Silverkelt

• lgslgs
    12 years ago

Yep - it works just fine. :)

2009:
    {{gwi:384062}}

2011:
    {{gwi:384063}}

Plunk and run is a great way to plant out. The hunks of seedlings will sort things out nicely on their own.

Lynda

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

That's how I've done my flowers WS in milk jugs or cups.
    {{gwi:374687}}

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

My plunks are smaller. This is what I got so far.
    {{gwi:384064}}
    {{gwi:384066}}
    {{gwi:384068}}

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! This is exactly what I wanted to see and hear. I've got WS containers that are thick with sprouts that I definitely want to plunk in so there's a huge, healthy display next year rather than puny "specimen" plantings here and there. I want masses of blooms rather than a flower here and another one over there.

Last year (my first to WS) I planted a few things HOS/PAR. They're looking good so far this year and I should know later this season how they fare.

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

Great thread! I've been overwhelmed thinking about how I am going to separate all of these!

• daisydawnny
    12 years ago

Soooo.......I plunked and ran today, but it was tough getting that big hunk out of the jug. Any tips to make it easier? Cups were easy.....jugs were a challenge.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I just cut straight down the sides of the jugs at the corners with a pair of sharp scissors and slide or lift out the hunks. I don't reuse very many of them so cutting them open isn't an issue.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

I slit a side, dump out the whole blob upside down on it's head, into a regular flat. Flip over, use a knife to cut into hunks.

{{gwi:384069}}

Karen

• daisydawnny
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tips! Looks like a decent day to plunk and run! First day in weeks with no rain!

• jodie74
    12 years ago

Yep! Today's gonna be a plunk & run day for me! Happy planting everyone!!!

• erinlisa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys are awesome, and thanks for all the great pics! I am so relieved! Bakemom that is funny about the "jug shaped" plantings! I am gonna do it! I'm heading to the garden to plunk, then I'm gonna run in the house and have a cocktail and not worry about "my babies" anymore! You guys are THE BEST!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH