Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

A few words about parsley

northerner_on
10 years ago

I sow quite a large number of herbs and for several years I could not get parsley to grow and kept having to buy plants. But last year I came to this forum and someone here said they had they winter sowed it and it worked well. So last year I WS'd my parsley and was delighted with the germination. That did not last long because the day after I planted them out they had been eaten flat by something. They were earwigs - first invasion in many years, and of course you don't know they're they until they do things like that (they also did that to my zinnia seedlings). So I decided to try again this year and I have only 2 little seedlings. I used the leftover seed from last year, so I guess you need to buy fresh seed for parsley each year. I'll be buying plants again this year. Still waiting to grow my own parsley (sigh!). What's your experience with parsley seed?

Comments (8)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I only ever start seeds via wintersowing. I've only grown parsley twice, because it seems to be almost evergreen in my yard. I only grow it for the butterflies, and there are other plants they like even more. So, I always have parsley growing without really trying. I'm sorry you are having such difficulty. Keep trying. I wouldn't give up on your sprouts just yet. Everything has been slow to germinate this year.

Martha

• terrene
    10 years ago

I've been growing parsley from seed years - previously under lights, and for the past 6 years, via wsing. Actually spring sowing since I usually do them with the annuals, herbs, and tomatoes around late March - early April here.

The seeds seem to stay viable for a long time because I've been using the same packet of flat leaf parsley for years (packed for 1997 or 98). I keep all the seeds in the refrigerator.

I usually plant out at least 2 or 3 HOS of parsley each year, because I use a lot to make Tabouli occasionally and it's a Black Swallowtail host plant. Parsley is a biennial and will go to seed in the 2nd year. Sometimes, but not every year, a plant will overwinter and go to seed. They seem to need really good drainage to overwinter, or the crowns will rot.

My seeds just started sprouting in the past week!

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Martha & Terrene. I don't know why I always have such difficulty with parsley. I don't think I've ever been able to grow it from seed. Last year it was late when I bought plants and the only thing available was Italian parsley and it did not go to seed. I left it there and the stumps are all dried now. One year, my Italian plant survived the winter, and one year my curly went to seed. Of course I cut off the seeds wanting it to produce more leaves because I use lots of parsley. One year I left the seeds because my friend nearby said hers re-seeds each year, but mine did not. Terrene, perhaps I should just hold on a bit. I saved my seed the same way as my tomatoes and peppers which have already produced lovely seedlings. Maybe a few more will pop up in the next week or two.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

In my experience Flat Leaf germinates better than Curly and also retains its seed viability longer. But Parsley is notorious for slow and erratic germination.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Flora: Thanks for the advice. I will hold on to the container for a bit longer...I don't have too many this year. Anyway, today I was in a garden centre and bought two little pots of curly and italian parsley: 3 small plants each. I'll keep them in pots on my deck in case the earwigs return. I just hate to be buying parsley during the summer, because I use it almost daily.

• ladyrose65
    10 years ago

Northerner, thanks for this post? This is my first time sowing Parsley, so far no germination. I'm thinking I will have to purchase this at the nursery.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ladyrose, did you winter sow them? I think that's the answer. Last year when I had success (until the earwigs got the plants) my records show:
    WS March 5
    Germination begins March 23
    Germination 'took off' April 16
    My other advice is to use fresh seed. The seed I sowed was the 3/99 cents from the Dollar Store. Maybe not the best and probably only good for one year. It's supposed to be a biennial so it probably won't be good after 2 years anyway. Try again next year, I will.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

My parsley was sown from a packet that's at least three years old and I got at least nine sprouts. Five I've already transplanted to a big pot and the rest are still in the jug because they were a little behind and had not grown second leaves yet. Once parsley get going for me here it usually comes back at least one year, and it's usually a much bigger, robust plant the second year, too.

Sponsored